“Disorganised and scummy.”

The Lonsdale Hotel
Ranked #1,021 of 1,063 Hotels in London
“Disorganised and scummy.”
Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

My gf(who is pregnant)and I rocked up to London after flying 30 hours or so. We caught a train and then a cab to the hotel and arrived at around 10pm. When we got in the staff who were there spoke limited English and informed us that agoda.com had not contacted them about our booking and that they didn't have a room for us. I then had to walk down the street to a payphone to contact agoda as they wouldn't let me use their phone, as it wasn't business related. Agoda explained that they passed on the booking and that the hotel had double booked our room and refused a refund. Agoda agreed to refund and the Lonsdale staff said they would put us in one of their partner hotels(which was of lower quality, in a smaller room without an ensuite in a worse area of London). The best experience I had at this hotel was walking out the front door.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank Nicolas M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 16 September 2013

Me and my boyfriend went to see a show in London last month and stayed there for £40 for one night. Ok so the staff arnt that polite and the rooms are bare but kinda
Clean. If your only going somewhere to sleep then this place is fine. The location's also quite good

• Stayed August 2013

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 September 2013

This is probably the worst hotel I have stayed in. Upon arrival me & my mum were told our room was in the basement, this was the start of our problems. There was no where to hang our clothes all that was in the room were the beds, ok the sheets were clean but the rest of the room was shabby. The tv didn't work I couldn't charge my phone as the wiring was faulty & the window wouldn't shut so the noise of people walking past kept us awake most of the night.
I complained to the man on the desk and he promised to move us to a different room the next day. We were moved to the 1st floor (room 5) 1st impressions not too bad but paint peeling off furniture & no quilts on the beds just sheet & bed cover & what I can only describe as horse blanket on the other bed. The best thing was the bathroom (joke), it reminded me of caravan bathroom, no power to the shower the head kept falling off & it was luke warm, there was puddles on the floor because the toilet was leaking underneath was a bucket catching water which was constantly dripping & I had to keep emptying the bucket & mopping up the water with towels. My mum was scared of slipping when she went the loo (shes 75) I reported this to the man who told me he wasn't the owner, I have stayed in some hotels in my life but this one must be the worst please don't stay here, it cost me £135 for 2 nights next time I'll book with more care its worth paying bit more for peace of mind.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
New York City, New York
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Okay, it's not a luxury place, it might not be freshly renovated so what can be sooo bad about it. That is what I thought. It's a bargain, after all, considering its location, right? Having lived in London for a year, I thought I was used to not so new, not so clean places. Been to hostels around the world, so what can you expect. Well, I sure had not idea.

This place literally has dirt and bed bugs everywhere, running all over the bed and floor. We stayed for our graduation for a couple of nights with 2 parties in 2 different rooms (second floor, 12 and 13), slept with lights on but we all had severe bites. Not just one or too, a lot. Hotel is extremely cheap compared to others in the area, and well, it's for a reason. We hoped it would be fine but it was a total nightmare - had to clean clothes and luggage for days (to get rid of baby bugs and eggs). The Hotel acknowledged the problem only after we brought down a giant bug - and gave a 10% discount. Absolutely not worth the pain.

Room Tip: If you have to go: Wrap up all your belongings in plastic bags.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Ulrich N
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 1 September 2013

DO NOT STAY HERE! I've never stayed in a hotel as bad as this one in my life! It was drab, old, dirty, smelly and it had this eerie air about it the moment we entered. It's obvious the owners don't give two hoots about it and have let it go to ruin. It could otherwise be a lovely hotel. The "reception" consists of a table in a dusty room. The staff were clueless and weren't even there half the time. One evening at around 11pm our friend had to let us in because there wasn't anyone at reception! They put us in this awful room down in the basement which looked like something from a horror film. There was a shared bathroom with a broken shower. The sheets luckily were clean and no bedbugs. However, the light above the mirror kept flickering and there was an awful stench in the room. It's like nothing had been done up for years. The hotel was empty most of the time (I wonder why?). Although we paid £25 each per night even this was too much. We could've stayed in a nice hostel for that price instead. Ironically, the street 'Bedford Place' had other nice hotels. I'm from Ireland and here we have certain standards in relation to hotel regulated under Fáilte Ireland our tourist board. I'm not sure how it is in Britain but I'm surprised this hotel is still able to run: it should have been shut down years ago! Please do yourself a huge favour and fork out a bit extra on a nicer hotel than staying in this dump!

Room Tip: Make sure to read the reviews first before booking anything because once you book you're obliged...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013

Where to start? The interior desperately requires updating, and cleaning. The carpet in our room had a huge sticky blob on the floor and I have seen better furniture at the local dump. The en-suite was a tiny plastic capsule that had spent its early years in a coastal caravan. The water pressure was shockingly poor, and the cold tap groaned when on. The mattress was probably the most uncomfortable I have ever slept on and there were no duvets or blankets! One wall was semi tiled suggesting a bathroom had once been there but now has a radiator slapped on top. There was no wardrobe, instead a clapped out tv cabinet which contained no tv, a bedside unit with no handle but the drawer never closed. The safe had no lock. The sash window was held open by its own broken mechanism shoved in the gap. Only half the light fittings had bulbs and there was only one plug socket. WORDS CANNOT DESCRIBE HOW TRULY AWFUL THIS PLACE REALLY WAS.
To end with a positive the sheets were clean.

Room Tip: Pay more and stay further out if necessary
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Unfortunately, there is very little chance of the bugs not biting in this hellish excuse for a hotel. It's unlikely that you will sleep tight, either, thanks to the sound of guests coming and going in the corridors outside your bedroom. But of the things likely to disquiet you is wondering what the source of the horrifying odor emanating from the corner of the bedroom is. You'll move from the plausible explanation that something died there, that someone did something unspeakably disgusting there, and you'll entertain the possibility that it is the lingering spirit of an outraged hooker or possibly an indignant poltergeist.

It's a really awful place. It is close to the British Museum, true, and all the other lovely places around Russell Square. But it's a seriously horribly experience: dirty, smelly, and leaves you itchy all over.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends