“Ugh”

Ranked #1,030 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Ugh”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

If ever you wish to experience accommodation like this without paying £50 for the displeasure, I'd advise finding a crack head and giving him a tenner to stay on their couch: you'll probably wear up to find all your stuff's been nicked but at least there's a slim chance you'll have a fully functional television and you won't be covered in bed bug bites from forehead to toe.

The walls are stained as though an endless number of cockfights had taken place in the room, the television is linked to a button-less Freeview box, with no remote to be found, while all buttons on the untuned television had been removed, perhaps by someone trying to find something to ease the boredom and fend off the ensuing insanity. The windows were so thin it didn't even sound like there had been any installed while the door was so feeble, it might as well not have been meaning if world war 3 broke out there and then, I'd have as much hope as a large line of cocain at a supermodel party.

Also, a not-so-interesting fact about taps - and you can use this one for yourselves: the cold tap filters out lead so you can drink from this while the warm one doesn't. Therefore, a room with 2 taps, both of which run warm, is about as useless as attempting a marathon while giving Johnny Vegas a piggy bag and just as dangerous.

Now, the one redeeming point of this: Around an hour after arriving and draining myself of all fluids through anxiety tears, I found myself desperately scanning websites for an alternative place to stay, before finally coming to the realisation that I either had to pay the weekly wage of a premier footballer or sleep on the street, which brought me to the conclusion that yes, this does beat sleeping in the streets of London on a cold autumn night, albeit by only a fine margin.

The next morning, I felt the freedom of a newly released prisoner serving a life sentence for a crime he didn't commit - it could be argued that this, too, is an upside to this hotel, if we can even call it that. I'd call it a '[--]' but that's down to personal preference.

Over the next few nights, I am staying in a cheaper hotel than this, none of which are quite so awful as to induced nightmarish memories from previous lifetimes, and come with functioning televisions, wifi, taps etc

The only reason this has a rating over 1 out of 5 is that you have to leave a minimum rating of 1. And the only reason it'd even stay at 0 would be because you can't rate things with negative numbers.

If you do chose to stay here, then from one victim to another, I wish you all the very best: you're going to need it.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank cks2n

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Gisborne, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 October 2013

It was the worst hotel i've ever stayed in, not sure where the got the photos from but they were very misleading, fake in fact. They do't even have a dining room. The first room we were offered was on the 3rd flr, no lift and when my husband viewed, demanded another, the other room was in the basement. My mother in law and sis-in-law were in the room next to ours and theirs was the same. It was raining and the pipes were leaking in the room, just as well we moved our bags otherwise!!! Carpets, beds, bathroom disgusting and fire exit dodgy, in fact the whole facility was dodgy. I found Waterloo station was more inviting. We went out at 8.30 to grab some breakfast, checkout was at 10am, we got back just after 9.30, the person changing the beds had already gone into our rooms and shifted our gear. We were not happy at all with this place and would not advise anyone stay there.

Room Tip: take your time as we chose a hotel close to the train station where the Eurostar left from. In fact...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank michelle w

Travellers are raving about these London hotels

Hertfordshire
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Pros:
It's in a central enough location, surrounded by hotels twice the price.
It's cheap. Not a factor to ignore unless you're lucky enough.
No bed bugs for me. I was worried, don't get me wrong, but this is honest reportage.
Reception staff were efficient and polite.

Cons:
It's an ancient hotel with uneven floors, dodgy carpets, and rickety beds.
The showers - if they work - won't hold on the wall attachment.
It's boiling hot in there. Had to open the window - in late October London - and sleep on top of the bed. Weird.

Look, I'm not saying this is luxurious. But it may be an option to consider if your budget is small and you need something central.

It's not worth a one out of five, but three would be flattering: two it is.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank A_Healing
Astoria, New York
Reviewed 22 October 2013

can't even call it a hotel. Unfortunately, I let my friend book the room for this trip. What a mistake. This is more of a SRO. Dirty and disgusting. Not in a convenient area.

You'd be better off in a hostel for the money and accomodations.

Horribly uncomfortable beds, bugs in the room, don't waste your time, sleep, or money.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank josh y
Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

We booked a double room for a night, the room is smelly, the staff is rude and and bugs everywhere. We couldnt sleep at all and checked out really early. AVOID this hotel even if u will have to pay a few pounds more for a cleaner place.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tamer J
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Cheap and well located in London - I knew to expect a fairly grotty and tatty hotel for the amount of money you pay but I'm not sure it was even worth the low price! It would have been just about passable apart from the bed bugs..... I woke up covered in bites and still have them a week on.

If you're in room 19, sleep in the shower!!!

Room Tip: Avoid room 19!!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Mark L
Manchester UK
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I booked for just one night in an en-suite single room for £60 (cheap by London standards). I was not expecting luxury at this price but I was expecting to get the room I had booked. I was informed that I couldn't check in until 3 p.m. so when I returned after that time I was surprised to be told that my room was "not available". They offered me a room without en-suite facilities for £45. (This price did not include breakfast). I took it because I was only in town for one night and didn't have time to go looking elsewhere. The room was quite shabby and overlooked the street but had no 'net' curtains so when I needed to change my clothes I had to close the heavy curtains. The shared shower room and toilet were down the hall and needed urgent modernising. If you need the very cheapest hotel that you can find then this hotel will probably do, but if you can afford to pay a little bit more, then look elsewhere. There are plenty of hotels in this district. It is in a good location for the British Museum, British Library, Covent Garden, Euston Station, St. Pancras International (for Eurostar trains). Theatre land is not too far either.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo