The Lonsdale Hotel
US$156
US$144
US$204
  • Restaurant
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 20 November 2013

Poor hotel, but room was not dirty ,staff Robotic, Service non existent,facilities ,you would only need one hand with some fingers missing to note them ,it's only redeeming factor was it is close to Central London,Would I stay again ,possibly yes if I could have the same room and it was the same price £45 but most likely no,It would be the last choice,and at least I would know what I was getting,It was last year I stayed here but I felt even a late review could be helpful,my Daughter and her friend from Australia stayed as well and we often joke about our stay ,and compare it to a detention centre.,which could be and probably is better. Denis Henderson

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 November 2013

If ever you wish to experience accommodation like this without paying £50 for the displeasure, I'd advise finding a crack head and giving him a tenner to stay on their couch: you'll probably wear up to find all your stuff's been nicked but at least there's a slim chance you'll have a fully functional television and you won't be covered in bed bug bites from forehead to toe.

The walls are stained as though an endless number of cockfights had taken place in the room, the television is linked to a button-less Freeview box, with no remote to be found, while all buttons on the untuned television had been removed, perhaps by someone trying to find something to ease the boredom and fend off the ensuing insanity. The windows were so thin it didn't even sound like there had been any installed while the door was so feeble, it might as well not have been meaning if world war 3 broke out there and then, I'd have as much hope as a large line of cocain at a supermodel party.

Also, a not-so-interesting fact about taps - and you can use this one for yourselves: the cold tap filters out lead so you can drink from this while the warm one doesn't. Therefore, a room with 2 taps, both of which run warm, is about as useless as attempting a marathon while giving Johnny Vegas a piggy bag and just as dangerous.

Now, the one redeeming point of this: Around an hour after arriving and draining myself of all fluids through anxiety tears, I found myself desperately scanning websites for an alternative place to stay, before finally coming to the realisation that I either had to pay the weekly wage of a premier footballer or sleep on the street, which brought me to the conclusion that yes, this does beat sleeping in the streets of London on a cold autumn night, albeit by only a fine margin.

The next morning, I felt the freedom of a newly released prisoner serving a life sentence for a crime he didn't commit - it could be argued that this, too, is an upside to this hotel, if we can even call it that. I'd call it a '[--]' but that's down to personal preference.

Over the next few nights, I am staying in a cheaper hotel than this, none of which are quite so awful as to induced nightmarish memories from previous lifetimes, and come with functioning televisions, wifi, taps etc

The only reason this has a rating over 1 out of 5 is that you have to leave a minimum rating of 1. And the only reason it'd even stay at 0 would be because you can't rate things with negative numbers.

If you do chose to stay here, then from one victim to another, I wish you all the very best: you're going to need it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank cks2n
Reviewed 27 October 2013

It was the worst hotel i've ever stayed in, not sure where the got the photos from but they were very misleading, fake in fact. They do't even have a dining room. The first room we were offered was on the 3rd flr, no lift and when my husband viewed, demanded another, the other room was in the basement. My mother in law and sis-in-law were in the room next to ours and theirs was the same. It was raining and the pipes were leaking in the room, just as well we moved our bags otherwise!!! Carpets, beds, bathroom disgusting and fire exit dodgy, in fact the whole facility was dodgy. I found Waterloo station was more inviting. We went out at 8.30 to grab some breakfast, checkout was at 10am, we got back just after 9.30, the person changing the beds had already gone into our rooms and shifted our gear. We were not happy at all with this place and would not advise anyone stay there.

Room Tip: take your time as we chose a hotel close to the train station where the Eurostar left from. In fact, because the taxi fares were really reasonable, we should've stayed in Bayswater district, apparently the hotels there were reasonable and for the extra money it would've have been better value i think. we are from NZ and our worst hotel isn't that bad, and we do set ourselves a bit of a standard, but we had stayed in a hotel at East Ham, London and although it was just a room with beds and a TV, the shared bathroom was clean and tidy although very basic. Don't be sucked in by the elaborate photos, you may be disappointed.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank michelle w
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Pros:
It's in a central enough location, surrounded by hotels twice the price.
It's cheap. Not a factor to ignore unless you're lucky enough.
No bed bugs for me. I was worried, don't get me wrong, but this is honest reportage.
Reception staff were efficient and polite.

Cons:
It's an ancient hotel with uneven floors, dodgy carpets, and rickety beds.
The showers - if they work - won't hold on the wall attachment.
It's boiling hot in there. Had to open the window - in late October London - and sleep on top of the bed. Weird.

Look, I'm not saying this is luxurious. But it may be an option to consider if your budget is small and you need something central.

It's not worth a one out of five, but three would be flattering: two it is.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank A_Healing
Reviewed 22 October 2013

can't even call it a hotel. Unfortunately, I let my friend book the room for this trip. What a mistake. This is more of a SRO. Dirty and disgusting. Not in a convenient area.

You'd be better off in a hostel for the money and accomodations.

Horribly uncomfortable beds, bugs in the room, don't waste your time, sleep, or money.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends