“Fish city!”

Billingsgate Market
Ranked #65 of 813 Shopping in London
Reviewed 18 May 2014

Yes, as other reviewers say, you can come here just for the atmosphere (no pun intended although, it certainly does smell fishy) and the general experience -- and, yes, Piggy's cafe, which offers fish breakfasts and fabulous bacon and scallops roll (£3 and not mean on the scallops) -- or for serious shopping. I have only visited on Saturdays, where getting there by a leisurely 8 a.m. or even 8.30 (it opens at 5 a.m. and closes at 9.30 a.m.) still offers reasonable chances of getting some great deals. The main thing is whether you can go for the big box offers -- after all, this is a market mainly selling wholesale, so you either need a big freezer or a big family -- or you have to wheedle around looking for traders willing to sell in smaller quantities, which isn't as hard as it sounds. Personally, I go for the smoked salmon, kippers and smoked haddock (Bob's Fish stall especially) before branching out. It's worth noting that a number of stalls specialise in Asian fish (tulapia etc). I have never had any poor quality or 'off' fish or shellfish here -- on the contrary. Also, some fish is necessarily going to be frozen -- flash frozen on the boat -- so this does not necessarily mean it is not as fresh as possible.
This is the 'new' Billingsgate, opened in 1982, after the old Billingsgate in Lower Thames Street was closed.
I should mention that the last time I went was with a friend who has some walking problems: this is not a great place for disabled access, but not impossible.

17  Thank Miranda_Escobedo
"great place to visit"
in 7 reviews
in 3 reviews

Reviewed 18 March 2014

this is the classic case that one bad seller ruins the reputation of many honest ones. Unfortunately I'll never buy oysters again
I've been twice to this market. last time I got oysters. I thought, if they are not fresh here, then where else?
had friends over for sunday sunny bbq lunch. I served the oysters raw. they were all closed and tasted good, but we all spent the following 24-48 hr puking and shitting ourselves.
it was an asian (indian/pakistani) seller at the start of the market, second isle on the right. can't remember the name, but next time I go I'll surely tell him and warn his customers to stay away, and I'll update this review with his exact name.
For now be aware!

56  Thank damianomigani
Reviewed 15 March 2014

I've seen all great comments and went there but BEWARE off some traders. Is not friendly, is "businesses" so there are tricks. They tend to sell oldest fish first (understandable) so you choosing something from display and they going to the back and choosing old (smelly cod fillets) or open mussels, and pass to you in the tied bag. So, choose from display or check quality before paying.

31  Thank Roman T
Reviewed 11 March 2014

Our visit to Billingsgate fish market was a long awaited trip. We have been planning this for ages but couldn’t make as we live in bucks which quite a long journey to London. Finally the day came when we managed to get up early to reach market by 5:30 AM!! It was quite a busy by the time we reached there but there was plenty parking available. We bought red snapper, salmon, 2 varieties of crab (Indian ocean and Atlantic crab) and tiger prawns.
We wanted to buy mainly carp, cat fish and king fish as these will taste good when cooked in south Asian style but was disappointed as couldn’t find those. Prawns were 18 quid for 2 kilo and totally worth it as they taste like heaven, if compared to super market frozen tiger prawns totally worth it!! . Salmon fish was fresh and we could get it for 10 quid a fish weighing approx. 2 kilo. All in all it was a total bargain and we will definitely visit in future.

10  Thank v k