“good food but terrible service”
Review of Mama Rosa - CLOSED

Mama Rosa
Cuisines: Italian
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Been to the Carnaby St. branch on a friday evening. In general the food is good but the restaurant is poorly managed. The waiting times are ridiculous, there's no control on the food ordered as we had to wait around 45 minutes for the main course to arrive and the waiter had forgotten part if our order.

1  Thank scorpio300

Reviewed 13 July 2014

OK but they try to turn you round to quickly. Place needs a bit of TLC as ambience is sadly lacking. Too much Italian arguing between the staff. I wouldn't go again. Expensive for what it is.

2  Thank colinrbush
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I went to Mamma Rosa a couple of weeks ago for lunch having always walking past it and thinking it would be really nice to try something different. Boy was I wrong! I ordered a pizza with ham, rocket and cheese. It looked delicious when it arrived apart from a few morsels of mouldy Parmesan cheese. When raising this with the owner, she stated that it was 'obviously' due to the fact that Parmesan cheese turns slightly green when it touches heat! In all my time of eating Parmesan cheese, I have never seen green Parmesan - has anyone else? The owner was so rude and unapologetic and did not even offer to replace the pizza or take this off the bill so we left very swiftly - do not go here!! If anyone wants to see pictures of the mouldy cheese, I can share.

4  Thank KRV1806
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Went for dinner last night as it has outdoor seating (it's pretty hot recently) and thought it looked nice. We've moved into the area not long ago.

Regret going here a lot!

First observation while waiting for someone to get our drinks order: the waiters were clueless and walked around with peoples food, they didn't know who ordered what. Even tried to give us someone else s food a couple of times!

Gave our drink order eventually (it took a while) the lady that was "hosting" and taking orders seemed particularity all over the place and didn't seem to pay proper attention (as you will see..). I think she'd rather have been sitting with her feet up inside.

We got out main meal (we both ordered pizza), however they didn't include the mentioned Rocket on top of my mushroom pizza. Plus we had no cutlery or napkins. The waiter didn't seem to notice this or even care and wandered off! I had to ask about 3 times for napkins and a couple of times for pepper.

I mentioned that I had no rocket on my pizza, which the "hostess" went off to check and then as I was right, took my pizza back to the kitchen to add rocket. I wish I had never asked.

The Rocket was wilted and looked really old. Some of it was mashed up (like when salad gets old and squashed in a bag).

The mushrooms seemed half cooked and slimy and the whole meal was just sloppily put together and not made with care at all. Plus I think it was cooked so quickly, the outside looked done, but the pizza base seemed doughy inside.

Oh and THEY FORGOT to put our Starter order in! Not that they would have noticed!

We will never go there, never recommend this "restaurant" which is a farce for so called "Italian" food.

It's just honestly awful, save your money and go elsewhere. I really hate paying for bad food and service and today am kicking my self I didn't create more of a fuss, but that's my bad.

You have been warned!

4  Thank Bee P
Reviewed 13 July 2013

I have never lived in a 3rd world country or under a communist regime, however after eating at this place I can sympathise with those that have. Quite possibly the worst restaurant in the world. A group of 8 of us attended this so called restaurant to celebrate a 65th birthday. After firstly being told they had a reduced menu, we each ordered a starter and main and 3 bottles of wine. 2 bottles of wine arrived and about 40 minutes later 3 of the starters arrived then about 30 min later the other starters arrived. 2 people had stuffed mushrooms which were raw and sent back.

Mains arrived about 40 minutes later. Bolognaise was tasteless and watery, pastas would have been better if they had used a jar of sauce from a shop.

Whilst we were waiting for our 3 hour meal we witnessed up to 5 other people complain and send food back. One woman walked past the kitchen and exclaimed loudly "Very hungry woman here"!!

Should have saved the 150 pounds we were charged and had 2-3 decent meals somewhere else.

Unfortunately we did not check trip advisor prior to booking, but at least this review should maintain the consistency of reviews for this awful awful place.

3  Thank Shane E