“Good for solo travelers”
Review of Pax Lodge

Pax Lodge
Ranked #96 of 946 Speciality Lodging in London
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I agree with the comments written by others. It is a safe, practical place to stay and exciting for those who have Guiding 'in their blood" to stay at a World Centre. The real benefit I found, staying at Pax Lodge as a solo traveler, was the ability to connect with other people and join them on excursions. I met many people at the communal breakfasts and found this was a great time to plan my sightseeing and find others who were interested in the same excursions. Also, there were always people in the common room in the evenings to chat with.

Although you may have a room to yourself even if you book a twin room, don't count on it. Be prepared to have someone join you at any time during your stay. I was in a twin room and had a roommate arrive very late in the evening. It was a bit strange to have the door swing open while I was already tucked in for the night.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Weatherweary

Reviewed 15 November 2013

I needed a room quickly for just the one night and found this place on laterooms.com.

Seeing my requirement was for very short notice, there were not many decent choices at decent prices so since they had availability I booked and paid for a room.

Unfortunately, a short time later my friend living nearby got back to me and said I could stay there for the night. I therefore tried to cancel the booking with Pax Lodge but was told that they take a non-refundable deposit of the first night, and that I couldn't have a refund.

Bottom line = I've paid for a room that I'm not going to use. I'm obviously not happy, especially seeing other accommodation being available with no cancellation fees!

Admittedly, I have to take full responsibility for booking, but I do feel it was extremely mean of them to offer no refund, even partial!

So, buyer beware! Look out for the small print, and only stay somewhere if you're really sure.

Room Tip: Choose somewhere else
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Derrick R
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I am a lifetime Girl Scout and current Cadette leader. I stayed at Pax Lodge for 4 nights while on an extended layover in London. The room rates are very reasonable. I signed up for a multi-person room but because visitors were very light since school was in session, I ended up having a double room to myself. The bathrooms and shower rooms are down the hall. Everything was immacuately clean. The ladies running the place are doing an excellent job. The included breakfast was simple (toast, boiled egg, bread, jams, nutella, juice) and upon request, they toasted me gluten free bread in the oven. If you are a Girl Scout or Guide, be sure to bring a patch from your local council or area to add to the map. And remember to buy a pin that only visitors to Pax Lodge can wear. The computers in the lounge have Internet access which is perfect for staying in touch with home and planning your next adventures. There is a communal kitchen on the first floor lounge. I cooked my own meals (there is a M&S grocery store at the Hampstead Heath bus stop) and saved a lot of money on dinners. The kitchen is pretty well stocked - there is everything you need to cook a basic meal. It is a short walk to the buses to the heart of the city or the Underground. I'm glad I stayed here! I hope to bring my own Girl Scout troop here one day.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank Michelle60640
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Pax Lodge was my home for the week I was in London. I felt comfortable, safe, and welcomed. The rooms are clean and spacious. The staff is kind and helpful, especially the volunteers for all the other countries. I went this time through Girl Scouts, but would not hesitate to stay there again independently. I loved every minute at the Pax Lodge, my "home away from home!"

• Stayed: July 2013
4  Thank TapeMonkey21
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We visited Pax Lodge this past July. My sister has been a Guide Leader for almost 30 or more years so this was a place that was on her "to do list".

We ate lunch & dinner at the lodge along with our first 'British Tea'.

The staff was brilliant, very helpful. We were able to use the internet while we were there and it was quite reasonable.

The tour was also very good.

I think this would be a great place to take Girl Guides while in London and would consider the accommodations more along the lines of a 'hostel' rather than anything else. It's nothing fancy but it was really clean. We did not stay at the lodge.

But, their volunteers are what made this a great visit. The tours that they gave were very nicely done. If they were not able to answer a question they were diligent and did their best to find the answer.

Food was good, tea was a nice experience.

Go just to meet the volunteers! Plan your visit in advance and bring a patch from your guide facility with you. People love to look at all the different ones that are collected from all over the world.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sue W
Reviewed 14 June 2013

We just returned from a week at Pax, followed by a few days in Paris. While I warn American travelers that this is not a hotel or a B&B but a Girl Guides facility. Once you know that, it's an amazing place to stay. The staff and volunteers are fabulous. Food seemed a bit high, but seemed that way throughout London. Breakfast is "continental," dinner is like eating at your grandma's house (simple, home-cooked things like pork roast, chicken with rice, etc. that you pass around - nothing to brag about but wholesome), bag lunches are like you'd pack for a kid for school. We never ate lunch there, so I can't comment. Yes, the laundry facilities were difficult as mentioned by others, but we managed. The best part was the feeling of belonging to the world organization and meeting and interacting with Scouts from around the world. Hopefully the contacts we made with other troops will turn into friendships and trips to other parts of the world. We stayed in twin rooms with shared bathrooms. Beds were small but comfy and clean. No A/C, TV, or phones in room. Bathrooms were clean, kitchen facilities were too. I can't wait to return with my younger daughter's troop in a few years.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Cccarney1
Reviewed 13 May 2013

We were just visiting and did not stay at the hostel, but what a memorable afternoon we had in fellowship with other girl scout supporters. A few tips to have a great visit (versus a stay):

1. Plan to visit. Bring a patch from your council. There is a special place to share it with the volunteers at the lodge and the other visitors who come that year.

2. Call ahead and book a tour. This was you have a someone ready to receive you. Impromptu tours don't appear to be too much of a problem, but the lodge is a good distance from the main tourist areas so it would be better to call (or email) ahead.

3. Make it an afternoon and plan on a "cream tea" at the lodge. This was the tasty topper to the tour and solidified the experience for us. I've included a couple of pictures. The Lodge goes all out to accommodate their visiting guests.

4. Expect to learn. We walked away just blown away by the new understanding of what the World Association of Girl Guides and Girl Scouts (WAGGGS) are doing to promote and protect the role of girls and young women across the planet. We were impressed with their work with the United Nations and the opportunities for volunteering that the WAGGGS opened up for our daughter on a scale we had never considered. It is an impressive effort.

We combined this trip with a walk through Camden Market on the way up and I do NOT recommend that route. Camden Market was a zoo. The area of Hampstead at the Belsize station has several eating options and we had lunch there prior to our afternoon visit.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family