“Amazing Food. Expect Attitude.”
Review of O-Tower Caribbean Cuisine - CLOSED

O-Tower Caribbean Cuisine
Price range: US$16 - US$24
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: London Bridge
London, United Kingdom
“Amazing Food. Expect Attitude.”
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Orville's cooking is excellent. We have been here a few times. Last week was the most extreme in that the service was near non-existent and the food was the best.
Orville was on his own cooking and serving everyone. We seated ourselves, but he still managed to serve cook and bill every table in the restaurant. We had actually phoned to book, and we got the normal surliness from the lady. She answered the phone, said a booking for two was fine, didn't take our name and put the phone down. We find her really amusing, and don't ever expect a smile or warmth, and that is fine for us as long as the food is still good and cheap, and its all pretty efficient. I can totally understand that some people find the service really difficult. Its never been personal with us, or impacted our experience, but if it ever did I might feel quite differently about this place. The main thing is Orville is great.

“GREAT PLACE !!!”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Don't be afraid about the general look of this place cause this restaurant is really a TREASURE !!!
Authentic Caribbean food for crazy low prices !!!
My friend took a Jerk Chicken and I had a Caribbean Chickeen, Caribbean rice in sides for both of course and for drink a fres cucumber ginger juice.
EVERYTHING was AMAZING, EXCELLENT !!!!
And it cost us about 16£ only !!!!

Harlow, United Kingdom
“Welcome to Misery's West Indian Restaurant - with humour!”
Reviewed 17 August 2013 via mobile

Welcome to Miserys West Indian Restaurant

If you ever watched The Real McCoy that will mean something to you. I recommended this restaurant to my sister amongst others on account of the fact it is so highly rated - and rightly so - we had a whale of a time. I don't know why but we loved Sheila's demeanour. We had a table of 18 including the birthday girl (my sis) most of us turned up on time - but my sister was awfully late. 1 hour 15 mins late. I don't blame Sheila for being annoyed at this - but honestly she didn't seem that bothered. The menu is small but all the Caribbean faves are in there. Curry chicken, jerk chicken, oxtail, curry goat, fish and Orville (the head chef - the only chef - in fact the man of the night) special chicken stuffed with sweet potato. Don't ask for anything that isn't on the menu as you will get a look of distaste. You better listen to Sheila when she's reading out the specials as if you have to ask her again that will make her mad. Don't order a drink and then change your mind once she's written it down as that will anger her too! The best quip of the evening was when my cousin asked for soursop juice and then asked to change it after Sheila has written it down. He giggled because he had changed his mind and Sheila said "no no come on now. This isn't funny. Stop being silly you're a grown up". Might I add that my 20 odd year old cousin was sitting next to his MOTHER when Sheila said this. My aunt didn't look best pleased with Sheila! We all giggled when my other aunt said that she might ask for some ice for her drink. "Good Luck!" We all cheered on. We were looking forward to some drama unfolding before our eyes. I asked for some hot sauce, which I got! When Sheila brought it over she gave it to me and said "there's no hot water in the tap. Do you understand what I'm saying to you?" I looked perplexed for all of 10 seconds then realised it was her unique way of telling me that the sauce was HOT! So the food. The food is good. Yes as other reviewers have commented perhaps its an "it has its moments" venue as my friend Dawn commented that her curry goat was too salty. It didn't taste too salty to me but there was a strong presence of Chinese five spice. My Oxtail was fantastic. I love oxtail. The flavour was exactly how it should have been. The portions are BIG! I was able to take some of my oxtail home. The quantity of rice was a little small compared to the food. I loved Sheila's honesty. Two people ordered beef and she came back out and said that she only had one portion left. She said she could have split it between two people but she wanted to be honest. I liked that. Dawn ordered coleslaw. When everyone had their food and the coleslaw was still absent she asked Sheila if it was still coming. Sheila simply replied "Oh. No. He didn't do it" followed by a half hearted "Sorry".
When all was finished we paid and left a lovely tip because we had truly enjoyed ourselves. Honestly the service was so blunt and strict - we kind of liked it. There is no way we would ever allow ourselves to be spoken in such a way (except perhaps by our parents!) but somehow it felt perfectly acceptable coming from Sheila. Why? I have never been to Wong Kei but of course I've heard about their service. How can you not? They are infamous for having service so bad it's good.

O-Tower is stepping up the ranks becoming a venue as famous of Wong Kei for this very reason.

After we had sung happy birthday to my sister and she had delivered cake to Orville (Sheila had declined on account of her being as big as a house - NOT TRUE!) Sheila came over to our table and stood in front of my sister. My sister looked at her, smiled and said "are you ok?" Sheila replied "No". Then she ever so slowly bent down wished my sister a happy birthday and kissed her on the cheek.

How can anyone fault someone like that?

Thank you to both Orville and Sheila. Orville your food was fantastic and amazing to cook a feast for 18 people.

Sheila your demeanour is astounding. I've never met a owner, maitre d, waitress like you. I'm so pleased I found O-Tower on Trip Advisor. I will be back. Soon x

4 Thank FoodieClaireBlog
London
“Shockingly Bad Hospitality”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

I went here several months ago having been warned about the grumpiness of the woman front of house, I thought I could cope with a bit of Caribbean attitude. The food was very nice but she was far from welcoming.

My husband took a lot of convincing to go back but as I’m a total devotee of Caribbean cuisine I managed to persuade my family to go again and tried to do everything right – I called ahead to make sure they could take us as I’d heard that was the first hurdle that most people fall at, and we went very off peak – 5.30, and were met by abuse from the moment we walked in. Although I had said there were 4 of us on the telephone the woman’s face fell as she muttered something about us being 3 and looked in disgust at my 3 year old in a buggy and questioned if he would be eating. When I said “of course” she started to huff and puff about the buggy. We’d only just walked in which is why he was still in it and we immediately said that it folds up.

Both the woman who was unbearable, and the man who came out from the kitchen, gave us such abuse ranting on about how someone on Saturday had refused to do just that and had blocked the way and then started saying to us “if you don’t want to it’s your problem” etc. I was utterly gobsmacked and said “I really don’t know why you’re speaking to us like that when all we want to do is come and be customers in your restaurant” amid more huffs and puffs of “your problem” and if you don't like it. We live locally and I love Caribbean food but I cannot on my conscience support someone’s business, no matter how tasty, who has such disdain for their customers. My 7 year old has been trying to fathom their behaviour ever since and just keeps asking why anyone would speak to us like that.

A great, great shame.

7 Thank Bolaboo
London, United Kingdom
“Rude staff”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

The incredibly rude staff makes the quality of the food irrelevant. I've been twice and on both occasions I felt like they didn't want me to be there. It's a shame because I live locally, but I will not go back.

Visited August 2013