“Great food, nice restaurant, but very unwelcoming!”
Review of O-Tower Caribbean Cuisine - CLOSED

O-Tower Caribbean Cuisine
Price range: US$16 - US$24
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: London Bridge
New York City, New York
“Great food, nice restaurant, but very unwelcoming!”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Overall this is a very difficult restaurant to rate. While the food is truly excellent for the price, and the new venue is very good, the staff seem to have absolutely no clue whatsoever about how to treat customers or how the restaurant business works in general.

Upon entering expect to wait by the door for one of the two members of staff to slowly walk up from the kitchen without so much as a flash of a smile and ask if you have a booking (this same question is asked if the restaurant is completely empty, and, I can only assume, even if they know full well that they don't have a single booking in their diary). When you answer "no" to this question then expect a bitter faced list of reasons as to how "unaccommodating" and rude it is to have the audacity to walk into their empty restaurant without a booking.

My girlfriend and I saw the same response for everyone who walked in after us, none of whom had a booking and I can only assume they all felt as unwelcome as we did. Throughout the rest of the meal the staff didn't become a huge amount more polite and we were left feeling as though we had actually inconvenienced them as paying customers!

That said, when out food came out it was fantastic. The Jerk chicken was amazing and came in almost a curry type sauce, different to any I've had before, but it really worked well. Every dish was of great quality and bursting with flavour and good portions that didn't leave either of us hungry. Also, a bring your own booze is a great idea and really keeps costs down.

Overall, it's strange to have such a huge difference between service and quality of food which really threw me when coming to judge this place.

A friendly and welcoming set of staff would make this place stand out as one of the best restaurants in the area and the best Caribbean restaurant I've ever been to. As it stands, however, it's probably best to be seen as a great takeaway... that way you won't have to put up with the staff for any longer than you humanly have to!

• Visited November 2013
8 Thank SeanDaisley

London, United Kingdom
“Brilliant food, amazing prices”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The O tower is back in a brand new location (2 doors down from the old one) and the food is as good as ever. Still great value.

The new venue is looking really sharp, and Orville is still on great form every time you go in.

If you are in, or live in, the area you just can't miss the O tower!!

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank jamie m
London, United Kingdom
“:)”
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

Excellent. New location. Love it. Really good food. If a little salty. Get the jerk chicken. Unconventional waiting staff, pretty chilled out.

5 Thank NCKP933
Romford
“Sheila is a lovely lady...”
Reviewed 17 September 2013

After reading several reviews, I decided that I definitely wanted to go to O-Tower for my birthday meal. However after reading about how rude Sheila is, I was a bit apprehensive about calling up.

Anyway, I called the restaurant and a lady answered, she seemed very nice, helpful and was thankful for my call, before I came off the phone, I said "What's your name, by the way" and she answered "Sheila."

The restaurant is small, but cosy and as I was having about 18 guests, Sheila allowed me to have the whole restaurant on a Saturday evening. When I arrived, she was unimpressed and as I apologised she stared at me as if she was saying "I don't wanna hear it, you better just watch yaself!" One of my friends tapped me and said "If only looks could kill" but I took it with a pinch of salt, she didn't look like she really meant it.

Throughout the evening age kept taking digs at me, like when she was handing out the hot plates, she said to me "Should I give you a cold plate?" But it was just a bit of banter, nothing serious. It was comical.

All of the food was well made traditional Jamaican dishes, tasted GOOD and the portion sizes were ever so generous, just how they should be. Although, the rice that comes with it wasn't in size proportion to the rest of the food served. The drinks were homemade and tasted good also, especially the soursop and the sorrel had a nice kick to it.

Overall, had a lovely evening. Great food, nice atmosphere and music, AMAZING prices and a great host; Sheila. I didn't tell her that it was my birthday when making the booking, but she said had she have known she would have decorated the restaurant for me, she was actually a really sweet and lovely lady.

I hope that it is still open, or will be reopening if it is actually closed.

• Visited August 2013
2 Thank LishLoveFood
“Restaurant is closed?”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

Tried to go here as I had heard the food was really good and my friends had been raving about it for weeks. However, we tried to call repeatedly to book and got not answer. Finally, we decided to swing by one night and found an eviction notice on the door, it seems the place is now closed down, at least for the time being.

Visited September 2013