“Non pretentious, down to earth and the best Caribbean food ever!”
Review of O-Tower Caribbean Cuisine - CLOSED

O-Tower Caribbean Cuisine
Price range: US$16 - US$24
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: London Bridge
“Non pretentious, down to earth and the best Caribbean food ever!”
Reviewed 11 January 2014 via mobile

This is a gem of a restaurant, with eccentric owner/chef, who I can only describe as the Gordon Ramsay of the Carribbean!

Visited January 2014
3 Thank Art2philosophy

“Jerk off!”
Reviewed 22 December 2013

This restaurant is just around the corner form our house, and i always walk past thinking, one day i'll have to try this place. Last night my wife and i decided to give it a try. On arrival, the place was empty apart from two tables. We waited at the door until a man came from the back to see to us. You could tell from the start that he didn't want anything to do with us. I asked for a table for two, and he said they didn't have any tables for two, and he didn't want to make one up for us. There was an empty table for three right beside us, so i asked if we could sit there, he just looked at me and said "no". I asked him why, and he told me it was booked. In the end i told him we would go elsewhere for dinner, and left the miserable sod to his empty restaurant. We had a lovely meal on Bermondsey Street, and then walked past again on the way home, and saw that they were still empty, and obviously didn't have any bookings. I hate to say it, but i wonder if we would have received such a hostile reception if we were Caribbean? Whatever, i won't be going back.

• Visited December 2013
5 Thank Harry J
New York City, New York
“Great food, nice restaurant, but very unwelcoming!”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Overall this is a very difficult restaurant to rate. While the food is truly excellent for the price, and the new venue is very good, the staff seem to have absolutely no clue whatsoever about how to treat customers or how the restaurant business works in general.

Upon entering expect to wait by the door for one of the two members of staff to slowly walk up from the kitchen without so much as a flash of a smile and ask if you have a booking (this same question is asked if the restaurant is completely empty, and, I can only assume, even if they know full well that they don't have a single booking in their diary). When you answer "no" to this question then expect a bitter faced list of reasons as to how "unaccommodating" and rude it is to have the audacity to walk into their empty restaurant without a booking.

My girlfriend and I saw the same response for everyone who walked in after us, none of whom had a booking and I can only assume they all felt as unwelcome as we did. Throughout the rest of the meal the staff didn't become a huge amount more polite and we were left feeling as though we had actually inconvenienced them as paying customers!

That said, when out food came out it was fantastic. The Jerk chicken was amazing and came in almost a curry type sauce, different to any I've had before, but it really worked well. Every dish was of great quality and bursting with flavour and good portions that didn't leave either of us hungry. Also, a bring your own booze is a great idea and really keeps costs down.

Overall, it's strange to have such a huge difference between service and quality of food which really threw me when coming to judge this place.

A friendly and welcoming set of staff would make this place stand out as one of the best restaurants in the area and the best Caribbean restaurant I've ever been to. As it stands, however, it's probably best to be seen as a great takeaway... that way you won't have to put up with the staff for any longer than you humanly have to!

• Visited November 2013
8 Thank SeanDaisley
London, United Kingdom
“Brilliant food, amazing prices”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

The O tower is back in a brand new location (2 doors down from the old one) and the food is as good as ever. Still great value.

The new venue is looking really sharp, and Orville is still on great form every time you go in.

If you are in, or live in, the area you just can't miss the O tower!!

• Visited November 2013
3 Thank jamie m
“:)”
Reviewed 5 October 2013 via mobile

Excellent. New location. Love it. Really good food. If a little salty. Get the jerk chicken. Unconventional waiting staff, pretty chilled out.

5 Thank NCKP933