“Service leaves sour taste in mouth”
Review of Chilli Cool

Chilli Cool
Ranked #7,673 of 24,264 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Bloomsbury
Reviewed 20 January 2013

The service here was horrible and I didn't even eat in the restaurant. I got takeaway orders and had to deal with one of the surly waitresses. After I ordered, we were waiting inside when the lady said something along the lines of "What are you waiting for? Sit down." I don't speak Mandarin but my mom does. I wanted to forgo the order at that point and go down the street to North Sea Fish but we already put the orders in. We decided to wait outside in the snow instead.

When we went to pay, the woman said she wouldn't accept my credit card even though the sign on the door clearly says that they do. When we were leaving, we asked for plastic forks and napkins. She gave us one fork and begrudgingly handed over two napkins. I tried to explain that we wanted an additional fork because well there were two of us and we had gotten two orders. She said no at first with a smirk and then said that she already put the two utensils in the bag. We showed her the bag and she gave us another fork. No apologies at all. For the paltry takeaway portions, soggy dan dan noodles, and sour-faced service, definitely skip this place. I've had way better Sichuan food sans the side of attitude.

5  Thank framboise8

Reviewed 12 January 2013 via mobile

It's a cliche, but the mark of a great Chinese restaurant is the number of Asian clientele. Chilli Cool is packed with young Chinese eaters! The dishes are generous, food superb, basic, rustic even, but tasty and achieves the trick of being spicy but not overwhelming. Great value, slightly off the beaten track on Leigh St between Euston and Bloomsbury - near the Brunswick Centre - good for the Renoi Cinema - absolutely worth seeking out if you love proper (hot) Chinese food. Highly recommended!!

Reviewed 5 January 2013 via mobile

I went to Chilli Cool with a large party and we were seated right away. The servers were very helpful with the menu and the food was very good. I would love to go here again and get some more really tasty food.

Reviewed 26 November 2012

Portions are huge (you can order one dish and then share within 2 people) and the dishes are very good. It tastes different from average Chinese food and their menu goes beyond sweet and sour chicken and other Chinese typical dishes. Most of their menu is spicy food, so you must like it spicy or you would be disappointed. Prices are ok: we got 2 mains, a big bowl of rice with egg and tea for 2 for £25. But if you are not super hungry you can just order a main and share it. We were there for lunch so it was quiet and the dishes came within 10 minutes. The others eating were all from China and I was there myself with a Chinese friend of mine and we all liked it! Service is average. Greatly located 5 minutes walk from Russel Square tube station.

Reviewed 25 November 2012

I like this place - it's a good alternative to Bar Shu for less than half the price. The plates are huge, and everything is super spicy. Pretty authentic Szechuan, I feel. The cucumbers in garlic sauce are excellent, and there's a good variety of meat, seafood, offal, and some tasty veg dishes. However, the waitstaff are rather inattentive and, as in China, even though it says "appetizers", that doesn't necessarily mean they'll arrive before your mains. Good for sharing.