“Arrogant, rude staff, disgraceful service!”
Review of The Front Room

Ranked #889 of 1,178 Coffee & Tea in London
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Neighbourhood: Mayfair
Reviewed 31 August 2011

We'd booked a picnic (afternoon tea) for 14 through Flemings at £50 a head. As the weather was bad, they allowed us use of the bar area to have our tea and drinks, which was generous and we were happy to be there.

Sadly, it all went downhill within less than half an hour of our arrival. The lady that was supposed to be looking after us showed us in and then disappeared for the rest of the day. We were then been looking after by another gentleman, who, although was friendly enough, just wasn't available when the drinks needed pouring. We were sent downstairs to the bar area and given our picnic. At £50 a head, you'd expect something special. Sadly, a few meager sandwiches and cakes were all that were given, although the cupcakes at the end were to die for.

We wanted to order two bottles of champagne, but had to wait quite some time to be served, the same again when we asked for a bottle of wine and cocktails. I was told by one waiter, when I asked for some water, that it was in hand and I would have to wait. Sadly, I waited.....still nothing.............I had to ask again. The barman's response was a huff, hands in air and under the breath muttering as he walked off. NOT what I would expect in any hotel! We were going to stay for more drinks, but decided to leave early and head off elsewhere in search of a friendly face!

It's very sad, 14 of us at £50 a head, bottles of champagne, wine and cocktails and the hotel couldn't be bothered to show us any type of service whatsoever.

I can't complain about the venue, it's lovely, the rooms are nice (although the toilets were out of order for a period of time), the food was nice, the drink choices were good. I just think that this place trades on it's name and location. Unfortunately, if you don't have the staff to back it up, it just doesn't work.

We were given no real service at all and were amazed to see a service charge on our invoice at the end, particularly as (on more than one occassion) we were clearing away our own plates and pouring our own drinks.

I will not be recommending this venue for any type of event in the future. In fact, some friends who were planning on going for tea next weekend have since been told not to bother.

Sort your staff out Flemings. Word of mouth goes a long way and you've 14 people who will not be spreading the love! If each person from that group tells just two people and so on and so on..........well, you do the math!

Avoid. Much better hotels in London with far superior staff. Go somewhere where you get a smile!

1  Thank Fevil