“I would once have said this was fantastic...”
Review of Kyoto Sushi

Kyoto Sushi
Ranked #2,429 of 24,254 Restaurants in London
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Soho
Reviewed 9 December 2013

I used to love this restaurant and have recommended it in the past - but last week, popping in there as a single woman for a quick lunch, I can no longer say that. The waiting staff are always lovely, and this was no different, but the chirashi sushi bowl was shockingly poor quality. The menu promised 'a fine selection of sashimi' on a bed of rice - well the bed of rice was there, but a few tiny - and I do mean tiny - cubes of toro offcuts, amidst a messily chopped selection of greasy salmon, a teaspoon of ikura, and then - aargh - shredded crabsticks. There were bits of omelette (since when did that count as sashimi, fine or otherwise?) and some - could it have even been mango? I think it was. When I questioned it, the waitress said there was sea bass in there. I asked her to find it. She then rushed back to the counter, the chef glowered, and she brought it back unchanged, telling me it was 'a fine selection.' I was nice with her, because it wasn't her fault, but asked her if the kitchen would like to add anything. She asked, and I got a look from the chef. She came back and said no they would not, that was how it was. So I paid and left, but I was disappointed at what seemed like a cheap move from an otherwise wonderful restaurant. So often it is the case that a single woman gets put at a bad table, and fobbed off with a sub-standard experience. I do hope Kyoto see this, and take note, because I have had wonderful meals there in the past, and would like to keep them on my lunch list. But most definitely, Could Do Better.

2  Thank Flora717

Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

Found a review of this restaurant online after searching for a recommended Japanese restaurant and sought it out in Soho after landing from Dubai. Amidst the bustling streets and almost-too-many options, this unassuming restaurant looks small and cramped from the entrance however opens up into a second room in the back. The menu is standard Japanese fare and between three of us, we ordered an assortment of sashimi and maki and tempura as well as edamame and miso. Each dish was incredibly fresh, tasty and beautifully presented.

Serving portions were generous and extremely well priced. Service very efficient and friendly without exception. Can't wait to return on our next trip to London!

1  Thank tahn85
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We went to Kyoto as a spur of the moment thing when another sushi place in Soho turned out to be rubbish for vegetarians.

The menu was good for both the meat/fish eater and the vegetarian, though the latter was disappointed about the lack of vegetable gyoza, despite other gyoza being on the menu.

We had the vegetable and prawn tempuras (lovely, light batter), cucumber rolls, 3pcs butterfish sushi and shared the teriaki tofu (excellent) a bowl of udon noodles with vegetables, and some edamame beans.

Quantity wise we could have done without the noodles - our eyes were bigger than our stomachs - but the quality was great. The service was speedy and friendly; they were keen for example to serve the people sitting next to us as they were going to a show nearby and didn't have much time. They also happily packed up what we didn't eat, and it still tasted good the next day (we actually thought the noodles were better!).

The tables are very close together (we'd say about 6" either side) so you have to move the tables a bit when people arrive/leave, and it doesn't make for a particularly romantic or intimate setting, but it does ensure an ambience that's communal and lively, which we liked.

Overall we really enjoyed Kyoto Sushi. It's not uber cheap (£61 for the above plus a beer and a small carafe of saki) but for good sushi in London we weren't complaining. Get there early though - there was a queue out the door by the time we left!

1  Thank EllieandAlexis
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Had a late dinner at Kyoto with friends who recommended the restaurant and they didn't lead astray! We had the chicken gyoza, soft shell crab maki and a couple of other items. It was an extensive menu, but photos to help order if you are not sure!

The fish was fresh and delicious and reasonably priced. A great find in London!

Reviewed 17 September 2013

Amazing little find in the heart of Soho. This is wear the Japanese eat their Sushi.. says it all really! Try the Chicken & Prawn Gyoza, the Crab Maki is also delicious! The service is good, the restaurant is usually pretty busy but they always seem to be able to squeeze you in. Have been back to this restaurant at least 6 times so far, cant get enough of it.

1  Thank Rebecca F