“Couldn't get excited about it” 2 of 5 bubbles

War Horse
Ranked #3 of 339 Concerts & Shows in London
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Couldn't get excited about it”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

My sister and I bought tickets to see War Horse for my Dad's 65th birthday. Although I'd seen the film and not really been impressed, I was told that the stage performance was totally different, so I was looking forward to it.
I must admit, I was waiting to be wowed throughout the whole thing, and was let down.
The story begins when Joey the horse is a foal, cue the animatronic pony which was controlled by 3 people. To be honest the pony's legs didn't even bend, which reminded me of those children's programmes from the '80s with the puppets. When the adult Joey came on stage, that was probably the only moment I thought 'oooh that's really good'. The adult horses are very well done and you do forget that there's people underneath controlling it, but you can only admire it for so long before you start thinking 'is this it?'. The first half hour drags on terribly and you never get any sense of emotion.
The lead actors felt like they were forcing out their lines, especially Albert who's voice was like nails down a chalkboard since his Devonshire accent was so thick.
For me, it was just a let down. Obviously, some people will go see it and think it's amazing, but I'm afraid I'm not one of them. I was actually just waiting for it to end. I had no connection at all to any of it, even though I wanted to have. I couldn't have cared less by the end if he found the horse or not.
I would rather have spent my ticket money on something else.

Visited August 2014

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“War Horse”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

The show was very good, with a great atmosphere, and we had very good seats. Some of the food is a bit pricey, though.

Visited February 2014
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Breathtaking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

This is THE most amazing piece of theatre I have ever seen. From the very opening where the bird is swooping over the audience to watching the horses charging into battle the skilful puppeteers make you believe that these are real animals. A must for children and adults of all ages.

Visited October 2013
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Brilliant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is really well done....the "poppets" are worked by men in and around the horses but after a while you stop seeing them there as they do such a great job, it was fascinating the way they managed to bring the horses to life. Loved it!

Visited September 2013
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Enjoyed immensely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

Well worth seeing. What an amazing technical production. The puppetry was very clever and I was gripped the whole way through

Visited September 2013