“Honest Review from Frequent Traveller”

Conrad London St. James
Ranked #51 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 January 2013

We originally booked the Crown plaza in London, as at the time this newly built hotel wasn't bookings, however nearer the date of our trip this hotel became available and we were not disappointed.

The concierge, reception and room service was outstanding and the decor was superb, however the windows had a permanent shutter to prevent from looking outside, which in hind sigh was a good thing as the views are very restricted. As a new hotel we expected some issues but there were none and all of the staff were extremely helpful, polite and astute.

The bar/restaurant was also suitable for our stay as a couple, and included an extensive cocktail menu which made the start to one of our evenings even more pleasurable.

The hotel is also located apposite the metro/tube which made our London trip even more convenient.

Next time we are in london we will definitely be staying here again for leisure.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank leperce
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded 14 January 2013

Dear Ieperce

Thank you for the fantastic review of Blue your stay with us and I am pleased that you had a great experience particularly in Blue Boar Bar.

I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you once again in the not too distant future.

Scot Turner, Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,300)

Reviewed 9 January 2013

I recently ate at the Blue Boar Smokehouse and really couldn't recommend it highly enough. The restaurant has quite cleverly managed to catch the London zeitgeist for classic American dishes but eschews the down at heel surroundings found elsewhere for a great room and attentive staff.

We had a mixture of ribs and pulled pork & lamb to start and I couldn't find fault if I'd wanted. My main of Veal steak could easily have fed 5 people and were I not such a glutton I might comment that they could reduce the portion size slightly but I fear they'll take notice and I'll return to find nouvelle cuisine portions so I shall be keeping quiet. Service was excellent and when our mains were delayed by approx. 10 minutes, a bottle of wine appeared in apology. A very well oiled restaurant team.

All in all a great addition to the area offering something genuinely different. Having recently found out that they do Sunday brunch with Bloody Mary's on tap, I intend to pop in when I have a suitably monstrous hangover and give them a thorough test.

Dear Sam B

Thank you for the fantastic review of Blue Boar Smokehouse & Bar, it is great to see that you had an enjoyable evening with us and that in particular the team stood out As you point out we offer Brunch on a Sunday and have a fantastic selection of food on offer as well as unlimited Bloody Mary.

Reviewed 7 January 2013

First visit to this new hotel and was very pleasantly surprised. Friendly and helpful staff checked me in and the woman on desk actually took me up to the room. Rare for an IC. The rooms are the real winning feature here. Just opened they're spotless with top gadgets and technology and you can actually swing a cat in them. Superb bathroom with all mod-cons. Very quiet in the room with a super-comfortable bed and good air con which was almost noiseless. Massive glass wall with an embedded TV and other stuff.

Had food in the blue boar bar which was reasonable value (for an intercontinental). The restaurant looked good (although I didn't eat there) and was still pretty busy even at 1000. The bar isn't however the most inspiring place to look at; looks a bit too much like a Holiday Inn / airport lounge but darker with a few lightbulbs missing. Very nice staff though, helpful and attentive. Food was pretty good as well.

Gym still wasn't open which was a bit annoying since it didn't say that on the IC website.

In summary, its a somewhat different vibe to the Park Lane Intercontinental; no middle-ranking foreign arms dealers here, rather the bar plays Oasis, Janes Addiction and My Bloody Valentine. I know which I prefer and will go to in future.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank acl1495

Dear alc1495

Thank you for the great review of your stay with us in Westminster, it is pleasing to see that you intend to return to us once again following your experience on this occasion.

Reviewed 7 January 2013

I would like to thank all the staff at the hotel, ok its new, but if the staff continue to put their energy into to it, this will be a top hotel. My family and I had two nights at the hotel, between Christmas and New year, we did a deal with Last Minute, and I am very pleased we did, we had a single and a double room, they could have been bigger, but were well equiped and very clean, and very quiet.
Since returning home we have recommeded, the hotel to several friends, thats how we feel, however would we have paid the full tariff? No ! Its not quite there yet...

Room Tip: Just be polite
1  Thank ianhatesidiots

Dear Ianhatesidiots,

Thank you for the great review of your stay with us in Westminster, it is wonderful to read that following your visit to us you have been recommending the hotel to friends and family.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

We just returned from 6 glorious nights at the brand new InterContinental Westminster. We can’t stop talking about what a fabulous experience we had!! Visiting London is always very special, but coming home in the evening to a comfortable room makes all the difference to one’s trip. We were greeted by such friendly and helpful staff and felt so welcome the minute we walked into the spacious lobby. We had a superior room that was very large and beautifully appointed. Yes, everything is brand new but also tastefully done. The king size bed and all linens, including towels and bathrobes, were top rate! We had a lounge type chair and table to read by.The room comes equipped with a Nespresso coffee maker and tea kettle. The marble bathroom was also very spacious with a separate tub from the large rain shower stall which was the biggest and best I have ever been in. I am sure a whole family could have fit in there at once! With the size of the room and bathroom we joked that we were in a condominium in London! Breakfast was outstanding - freshly squeezed orange juice, any type of coffee one could desire, fresh fruits, French yogurt pots, croissants, pastries, bread or toast, eggs, sausages, waffles, portobello mushrooms, roasted tomatoes and more!! We left the hotel every morning with a smile on our faces to start another exciting day in London! We were lucky enough to have The InterContinental Lounge included in our rate. Every night between 6:00 and 9:00 we were served wine, beer, soft drinks, tea or coffee, canapes, olives, nuts, and much more from very pleasant and hospitable staff. From the front desk to the bell boys, breakfast staff, concierges and doormen everyone was really outstanding. We had New Year's Eve dinner at the Blue Boar Restaurant (in the hotel) and were very impressed! What a find! There is no doubt in our mind that the next time we are in London, we will definitely stay at The InterContinental Westminster!!

2  Thank PassionateTraveller2

Dear Passionatetraveller2

Thank you for the fantastic review of your stay with us in Westminster, it is a great to read so many positive points during your visit. I am delighted you enjoyed your Club InterContinental access and that you took advantage of the drinks and canapés.

New Years Eve was very special at the hotel, located so close to the fireworks it was a great place to start 2013 and it is great to read you had such an enjoyable time in Blue Boar.

I do hope we get the opportunity to welcome you next year if not before.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

I just returned from a 3 night stay at this new hotel with a party of 9 people. The hotel is very new and clean but there were a few technical problems. First the room heater was on and I couldn't turn it off. The hotel sent up a maintenance engineer and he couldn't turn it off either. He opened a window and stated that was all that he could do. They finally got the heater turned off for my last night. I am a platinum level Royal Amabassador but I wasn't offered an upgrade or a club level room.
It's very close to Westminster Abby and the St James Tube stop.
I'd wait a few months until they work all of the bugs out of this hotel before returning.

1  Thank harco11

Dear Harco11

Thank you for the review of your stay with us and I am sorry you encountered issues with the heating in your room however I am pleased that you thought our cleanliness, service and location are all worthy of a five star rating. Unfortunately as a Royal Ambassador, unless you book a Club InterContinental room or higher, the upgrade entitled by your membership does not include this access.

I do hope you will choose us again when visiting London and our team are looking forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed 4 January 2013

Let's start saying the hotel is really nice: new, elegant, central and quiet.
Unfortunately i've found out at the hotel that the gym is still closed. When i made the rservation this information was not given: this is not serious.
They will give you a pass for the gym of a different hotel that is 10 minutes walking time from Intercontinental.
But this is only the good part.
The staff is not trained at all!
We spent 6 nights in the hotel and at least 8 times some staff entered our room when we were inside!
On the night of january 31st i was a little sick and so I went to bed before midnigt. At midnight they come to my romm to bring me back my laundry!!!!! CRAZY
I'm an ambassador member but, first time in my life, they did not upgraded me.
So for me it is a negative review of a very nice hotel.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Principissimo
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Dear Principissimo

It is with regret that you encountered issues during your recent stay with us over the New Year period, as you will see from the majority of our posts this is not indicative of our usual high standards and I must apologise if you have not experienced this. Please be assured we will use this feedback to make sure we are consistently achieving the standards we expect.

I am pleased to inform readers of this review that the gym is about to open within the next week and will be a great benefit to all of our guests, I apologise this was not available on your visit.

I hope that your experiences do not put you off returning to us again and would ask that if you have the opportunity to return to London you contact me directly to personally look after your stay.

Kind Regards