Conrad London St. James
US$214
US$189
galahotels.com
3,538 results
All reviewsblue boarwestminster abbeythe executive loungejames park tube stationbig bendirectly across the streetrain showernespresso machineafternoon teaturn down serviceluxury hotelwonderful hotellarge bathroomconcierge stafflondon eyeexcellent locationsuperior room
Reviewed 20 January 2013

A wonderful one might stay at a splendid, if very quiet hotel. Arrived at 11 am and received my room, wonderfully fitted out with water and fruit and free sodas. Excellent wifi and lovely breakfast. Fish and chips In bar was lovely. Well trained staff _ first time I have ever been taken to my room by a member at check in desk _ that is service. Had a 2 pm check out - great stay.

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank ScotinAlabama
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Dear Scottinalabama

Thank you for your five star review following your recent stay wi us in Westminster and I am delighted you enjoyed the hotel and that in particular our team, as with so many other reviews, stood out during your time with us.

I am also pleased to see that you enjoyed the food in the hotel in particular breakfast and that you were able to benefit from the complimentary wi-if offered in all areas of the hotel.

I do hope you will have the opportunity to stay once again in the future and our team are ready to welcome you once more.

Reviewed 19 January 2013

Before I start this review I should mention that I am an Ambassador Elite member of Priority Club and have stayed at many Intercontinental hotels over the past several years.

I almost always stay at 5 star properties and am very familiar with the standards expected from such hotels. We came to this property with high expectations, considering the hotel is the newest Intercontinental hotel in London and the hotel being a UK brand we were expecting a top notch service.

With the exception of the concierge service almost all other services are anything but top notch. Unfortunately on the day even the concierge let us down as well by letting a taxi run its meter while we were in our room getting our luggage ready for check-out. We ended up with a GBP40 surcharge on the Taxi ride!!

Many of the staff in this hotel don't have good command of English and can't communicate at a level which is expected from a 5 star luxury hotel in THE UK! Had I been in South America, Asia or anywhere else for that matter this would have been totally ok but to have people not understand plain English is unacceptable for me in a 5 star hotel in the middle of London.

The staff were all friendly and polite however they were all very inexperienced. I think many of them hadn't worked in a hotel before!

In this hotel Ambassador members don't receive access to club amenities even if the room you are upgraded to is a club room which is something I had never heard of or experienced in other Intercontinental properties.

We paid an additional fee to get access to the club lounge facilities which was supposed to be Buffet Breakfast & Evening Canapes. This ended up being a waste of money and time. The morning breakfast was very limited and one morning we had to wait 40 minutes for them to get a simple Omelet order made correctly.

The evening canapes were extremely poor in quality and variety. We stayed at the hotel 4 nights and the same poor canapes (I mean exactly the same) was served every night. We didn't really eat the canapes after the first night.

The in-room TV was not very easy to view in our room (Executive Room) unless you had all the lights off and then after purchasing a movie it constantly got interrupted as if we had a slow internet connection and the TV was constantly trying to buffer. Once again not at a 5 star standard.

Positives for our stay would be: Helpful & Super Friendly Staff (Generally nice & Pleasant People), Ok Concierge Service, Great location, Very Clean & Tidy Hotel

Negatives for our stay would be: Staff lack training, Poor Club Lounge Facilities, Ambassador Elite Members not getting the same benefits/recognition as in other IC hotels, Poor Food Quality In the Club Lounge for a 5 Star IC Hotel, Poor In-Room TV System for a 5 Star IC Hotel.

To top it all off the management arranged for a champagne bottle (nothing fancy) and some strawberries to be delivered to our room (as a goodwill gesture) and the strawberries were half rotten! :(

Calling back home (Australia) for 4mins & 56 seconds was charged to my room at nearly GBP10 / minute. After raising this issue along with other problems, hotel agreed to waive this cost. GBP10/minute is ridiculous even by hotel standards. I can make a call to anywhere in the world from a moving a aircraft for $6 / minute. This is 2013! IP telephony is the norm in all hotels and I don't except to be charged %10000 margin for a phone call. I mean seriously?!? PS: The call rates are not posted anywhere in the room. Oh and all the phones in the room were non-functional for a whole day and when we notified the staff we were told we had to change rooms if we wanted it sorted out. The phones somehow started working again the next day.

In-room amenities normally provided to Ambassadors was also not provided in this hotel. (fresh fruit & daily bottled water)

Overall there are many better hotels in London at the moment to spend your money at.

This hotel & its staff have a allot of learning to do!

Reason for Visit:Holidays
Next Destination:Tahiti or Maldives
Pros: Location, Room Cleanliness, Sleep Quality
Cons: Recognition for Priority Club Members, poor club lounge, no buffet breakfast in the main restaurant, lack of scale in the room, in-room paid movies have problems

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
13  Thank EliteAmbassador

Dear Eliteambassador

I am disappointed to read the review of your stay with us in Westminster and that despite conversations with our Executive Office you have still vented these frustrations on Trip Advisor. During your stay I know that a number of conversations took place where many of the points in your review were addressed.

Firstly, I apologise if you didn't feel the Laurent Perrier champagne placed in your room by our General Manager was not good enough quality, we are proud to serve this champagne as our 'house' offering around the hotel. On investigating your complaint I can see that we removed the telephone charges from your account as a gesture of goodwill however our prices are aligned with our sister property in Park Lane. I can also confirm that in an executive room as part of your Ambassador privileges you are not entitled to access to Club InterContinental, I can see you chose to upgrade to this benefit and my apologies if you did not enjoy this area. Please be assured we have taken your comments on board and will be rolling out a new refreshments menu in the next week.

I am surprised by your comment about our team, as you will see from our other posts they are usually the highlighted parts of the stay for other reviewers. In regards to the taxi surcharge, my apologies if you feel this was unjust, our team arranged for the taxi for you as requested however were then unable to contact you to say it was at the hotel, so that you did not have to wait for another cab and prolong your departure they held the cab until you arrived in the lobby.

As you know I did try to speak to you personally during your stay but you were unable to meet me however if you would like to discuss your stay further please do contact me directly.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 17 January 2013

This hotel is great! It's new and located in the centre of Westminster so easy access to everything. The staff is great and there is quirky art throughout the hotel. The bar is great and you may run into people from politics. Great people watching. The ribs at the smoke house was best I've had in London. Look forward to going back to this hotel.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Charles K

Dear Charles K

Thank you for your five star review of your visit to Blue Boar and I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the bar, as you mention it is a great place to be seen..... or not be seen depending on the reason for your visit, with many booths and snugs hidden away it can be quite discreet or as you point out, you can sit in the floor to ceiling windows and watch the world go by outside.

I do hope you will visit us once again, our team look forward to welcoming you.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 16 January 2013

I have stayed here twice since the hotel opened and have been extremely impressed on both occasions. Helen at reception has offered a warm and efficient check-in each time I have stayed and I very much look forward to my next visit. The hotel recognised my Gold Ambassador status and upgraded my room (in line with policy) as well as providing all of the additional benefits such as fresh fruit, soft drinks and a movie. The hotel is very new and so the rooms are pristine as is the rest of the building( though the gym is not yet open). The food in the Blue Boar Smokehouse is excellent and very reasonably priced given the quality. Overall a first class hotel which is now my preferred choice for London visits.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank privateinfo222

Dear Privateinfo222

Thank you for completing such a wonderful review following your two stays at the hotel, it is always nice to receive such positive feedback from guests who visit us again and again, please be assured we will will share your comments with our team, in particular Helen on the Front Desk and also the Blue Boar team.

I look forward to welcoming you to Westminster again and hope to meet you personally.

Reviewed 15 January 2013

Barely 6 weeks old, this Intercontinental is an outstanding hotel. The staff are extremely warm and welcoming, always going the extra mile.

The rooms are very modern in design, with all the extras you would expect from a 5* hotel. The public areas are all finished to a high standard and are bright and airy.

We will definitely return and have no hesitation in recommending.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MattUKManchester
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded 16 January 2013

Dear Mattukmanchester

Thank you for your positive review following your recent stay with us, I am delighted you enjoyed your time in Westminster and that in particular you would recommend us to others, this is quite a compliment and I do hope it won't be long before you have the opportunity to visit once again.