“Truly personalized service!”

Ranked #53 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Aliso Viejo, California
“Truly personalized service!”
Reviewed 16 February 2013

To choose to stay at a hotel that has been open for only 1 day is quite a risk. Nevertheless, I decided to risk it with my stay at the Intercontinental Westminster because the hotel was just blocks away from Buckingham Palace, Westminster Abbey, and a number of other key London tourist sites, yet it was a small, intimate hotel located in a quiet area not totally overwhelmed with tourists.

It turned out to be an exceptional decision. Before the hotel was officially open, I sent an email to the general concierge email address with some questions and requests for my stay. The very next day the head concierge, Ashley Harman, took the time to call me personally. He said “it’s so much better just to reach out and make the personal connection.” He listened carefully to my questions and requests for input, subsequently making fabulous recommendations and all of the necessary reservations. He not only arranged for an exclusive tour of Buckingham Palace, he put me in touch with a guide service that arranged a private tour of Leeds Castle. When we arrived at Leeds, we literally had the caste and the grounds completely to ourselves for the first 2 hours before it opened to the public. Ashley even sent one of his staff members to the vicar’s office at Westminster Abbey on our behalf to confirm the protocol for attending the midnight mass on Christmas Eve.

Upon our arrival, it was as if the entire staff already knew who we were. The fact that I remember all of their names including Adrian, Raphael, and Zsolt of the concierge staff and Julius, Liang, and Giorgia of the front end staff says a lot about how they engaged us, and were so personally helpful and attentive to us during our stay. For example, I inquired whether the hotel could bring up a humidifier to my room, but being so new, they did not have one. The next thing I knew the staff went out and purchased one. Giorgia was there to greet us when we arrived and she was there at the front desk at 6am the day we checked out. Based on her demeanor, it was clear that she (and all the staff at the hotel) truly cared about the quality of our stay and genuinely wanted to receive any and all feedback on how we could help them improve. It was a pleasure staying at the InterContinental London Westminster. I would recommend it without reservation.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TracyK95

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (443)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 15 February 2013

Regularly come here for breakfast, exceptional service in the lounge and beautiful setting. Does not feel like small compact hotels in London. Shame the gym isn't open to out house guests. Any chances of it being?

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 13 February 2013

We can’t say enough about the hotel, a truly beautiful and luxurious place to stay in a great location. Our stay was just wonderful. The staff were professional, friendly and extremely helpful and they couldn’t do enough for us. Our room/suite and bathroom was plush and luxurious, equipped with top quality up-to-date technology and appliances. We were amazed by the range of dining options in the hotel and the variety of menus available. The food was truly delicious. The hotel proved to be ideally located for sightseeing and shopping. Many well-known landmarks including Buckingham Palace, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey and the London Eye only a short walk away, and it only took us about 25 minutes to walk to Harrods, and having the tube station directly across the road was an extra bonus. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay in the Intercontinental Westminster and would highly recommend it!

1 Thank DK D
ATHENS
Reviewed 13 February 2013

The hotel is extremely beautiful, located just opposite st James station, minutes from Abbey and Parliament. It is brand new and its decoration is adorable. The lobby lounge is the most elegant ever and everywhere you can smell fresh flowers. The room is perfect, the bathroom huge, the linens and towels bring you to heaven. We visited the executive club that was one of the best I have ever visited. Breakfast, sweets and canapés were delicious.
Service is the strong point of this hotel. Everybody here works to make you happy. Yes, they do not speak all perfectly English, but you are in London, the most international city in Europe! Congratulations to all of you guys, working at reception, concierge and executive club, because you do your job perfectly!

Staines, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 February 2013

What a lovely weekend we had. Tucked away suspiciously close to New Scotland Yard, this hotel is amazing. Such great style and quality surroundings.

Room was fabulous, lots of little touches which were excellent. Lovely bathroom with the most massive towels of any hotel I've been in! Some great IT with media hub for your lap top or ipod - would have liked clearer instructions on how this worked but managed to Bluetooth music to the speakers. They even leave you a natty little weather forecast on your pillow after turn down :)

The lounge, bar and restaurant were equally good. Surprisingly the prices were much lower than I expected, particularly beverage prices, just your standard London prices instead of the big hotel mark up you get elsewhere. The Blue Board Bar had a lovely selection of local beers, although it closed a little early for my liking!

The best aspect of this hotel though was the staff. The front of house staff, from receptionists to concierge, made this trip particularly special. They remember your name, room and where you've been off to, welcoming you back and asking how things went. Nothing was too much trouble.

We will be back!

1 Thank Brighton_Expat
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 February 2013

Using one of our PCR Rewards stay occasions, this was an opportunity to visit a hotel I had seen being renovated over the last couple of years.
It was worth the wait and is a fine product that is worthy of the InterContinental Brand. From the attentive check-in on arrival, through to the following day's departure, it was a perfect stay. An upgrade to a Superior room was appreciated, and although being an Platinum Ambassador member, there was a little disappointment in not getting access to the Club Lounge. However, to be honest, the quality of the rooms and overall customer service, other than missing a few evening snacks and a free breakfast, it wasn't an issue in the end.
A great location, right across the road from St James Tube, and London is at your disposal.

Room Tip: The Superior rooms are wonderful, with separate batch and rain shower. Good size but view was on the...
1 Thank Andy09H58
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this review, 12 February 2013
Dear Andyo9H58

Thank you for a wonderful review of your stay with us in Westminster, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed many aspects of your stay in particular how our team stood out.

As you point out the location is fantastic, the political heartland of the city on one side and the St James Park, Buckingham Palace and Mayfair only a short walk away.

I do hope you will visit us again soon and look forward to welcoming you if the opportunity arises.

Kind Regards
Scot Turner, Hotel Manager
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 February 2013

From walking through the front door I felt welcome and looked after. I was walked to my room by the check in agent and given a brief tour of the hotel on the way and a quick rundown of the controls for lighting (and the fancy electric curtains).

I had booked the "Ace Opening Offer " rate which included Club access and was upgraded initially to an Exec room in advance then to a 38sqm "Studio Suite" which is a bit of a play on words as it's one room with a large divider/desk and a rotating flat screen TV (that you can watch in bed or at the desk/seating area.) As an ICGH Royal Ambassador, I was more than happy with this upgrade but not too sure if the exec room would have the same effect.

Anyhow, the fit and finish of the room is of a high standard with very comfy bed and a nice bathroom with separate walk in "rain" shower. Minibar was a bit sparse but with Club included this was no big deal.

The Club lounge is again nicely appointed and the staff are super nice. Felix and his female Spanish colleague made me feel most welcome and nothing was too much trouble. Nice selection of evening snack and drinks are available 1800-2100. I returned for breakfast next morning and was impressed by the quality - the scrambled eggs were SUPERB!

My first visit to only the second IC hotel in the UK and if it's about "location, location, location" then this place wins hands down. You are literally footsteps away from St James's Park Tube station and for the wow factor, take a right turn out the front door at night and within 1 minute a floodlit Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament and Big Ben will be "up close and personal".

Lovely hotel with lovely staff. I'll be back!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank John T
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this review, 11 February 2013
Dear Jat74L

Thank you for your fantastic review of your stay with us in Westminster I am delighted that so many different aspects stood out during your stay, as you point out the location is ideal for visiting the Westminster Landmarks and is ideally located to walk across St James Park to Mayfair.

It is great to read that you enjoyed Club InterContinental, we have worked hard in the last few weeks following feedback to vastly improve our offering so it is nice to see that it has had a positive effect. I will also pass on your comments to Felix and the team following your mention.

I do hope we can welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards