“Well-located luxury”

Conrad London St. James
Ranked #56 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 11 April 2013

I recently stayed at the Intercontinental London Westminster for four nights. The hotel is beautiful - rooms are new and thoughtfully designed - and the bathrooms are a real delight, very big by London standards, with a large bath and separate rain shower.

As an Ambassador member, I was given an upgrade to a King Executive, which is a bit larger than the standard Classic room. My room overlooked an interior courtyard and while the view was nothing special, my room was very quiet. I was initially given a room overlooking the street but found this a little noisy and my request to move to a quieter part of the hotel was quickly accommodated by the helpful reception staff. The quietness of the hotel deserves special mention because this is often not the case when a hotel is built within an existing heritage building.

Location-wise, the hotel is right across the street from the St James’s Park tube station and a short five minute walk from Westminster Abbey, the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben. New Scotland Yard with its famous revolving sign is also just a few steps away.

I liked the intimacy of the hotel and the design/theming is a nice touch, with a nod to both the history of the building and its location in the heart of Westminster. The fresh floral displays in the hotel lounge are really gorgeous.

I’ve tried quite a few hotels in London and this was by far my favourite. I would definitely stay here again on my next visit!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled solo
Write a ReviewReviews (3,407)

Reviewed 10 April 2013

A brand new hotel in place of what used to be the old the UK secret service MI5 building. The hotel builds on its location and focuses on highlighting them through the interior decorations, which is genius (I have attached photos to see some examples). The carpets in the rooms have fingerprints on them paying tribute to the MI5.

The rooms are spacious, modern and clean. All furnished to a high class level, large flat screen TVs and big bathrooms with both separate shower and bathtub. All amenities are provided in the room even your own iron and ironing-board and a Nespresso machine. I only had breakfast at the hotel and must say it was delicious and the service is impeccable.

The hotel is located in the heart of Westminster so there are many beautiful sceneries and historical monuments all around and within walking distance, not to mention restaurants and pubs.

If I had to fault it, I would say that the view from the room I was staying in was not great. I was overlooking a small side street.

Other than that I highly recommend it!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Ash T
Reviewed 9 April 2013

The hotel is situated right in the centre of Political london, opposite the St James tube station. There isn't much in the area, just a pub on the the other side of the road and thats about it, but one stop down the tube takes you to Victoria which has plenty of restaurants within walking distance.

I was checked in quickly by a very friendly member of staff who took me personally up to the room, as a platinum ambassador I was given a room upgrade to the deluxe room. The room was designed in a rectangle shape with an L shape forming round the bathroom. with a small entrance area fitted with a large mirror, a whole wall filled with wardrobe space, a small desk. The bathroom door was different, a sliding affair which contained a bath, separate toilet room and a shower with the sort of shower head you drown in ! However the best part of the room is a glass wall which hides the TV. I think its something completely unique and an excellent design decision. (but can have a downside as mentioned later) As its a near new hotel its all clean and nothing looks remotely worn or out of date.

Not long after getting into the room a female member of staff dressed in the old fashion maid's outfit asked if I required anything, was everything comfortable and if I would like a turndown service. Not long after she left I turned on the TV and it froze on me refusing to work. As the TV is behind a piece of glass I cant switch it off manually so had to call front desk to send a technician to reapir it.

The reception desk staff was very apologetic and the tech arrived quickly to reset the TV. After getting it working he admitted that they were having problems with the system, but it was a quick 5 minute fix and had no problem with it for the rest of the stay. About 30 minutes later I received a phone call asking if everything was in good order. Generally the staff were fantastic, all were friendly and couldn't do enough for you and they certainly give this hotel a advantage over the other IC in London.

I didn't use any other of facilities but have herd that the accompanying restaurant is certainly worth a visit. That night I slept very soundly in the sort of bed linen you expect of an Intercontinental. The hotel provides free wifi but its capped to 0.512 meg and any faster has to be paid for. The following morning I checked out early as I had a flight from LHR, its location means getting the tube to Paddington is very easy and you can be from the centre of London to LHR in under 50 minutes. I paid just under £200 for the night, which considering London luxury hotel prices makes it very competitive.

Luxury hotels in London tend to be either one of the following. Many such as Claridges and the Dorchester have old fashioned charm with impeccable service and edwardian/art deco rooms to match. Whilst I like the service I prefer my hotels to have a more contemporary style. The other half tend to be boutique hotels which have fantastic modern architecture and well designed room decorum, but then have arrogant almost rude service. Whilst I love the hotels designs I tend to hate the near rude service. In my opinion this hotel has managed to find the point where modern design and excellent service meet. It has contemporary modern designed rooms, filled with modern technology but managed to keep a high level of old fashioned service which luxury hotels in London have had for 150 years, it's staff, comfort and location make it easily one of the best Intercontinental I have stayed in.

If I have one criticism it was the wifi, whilst it is 'free' its quite slow and I found it inconsistent, going in and out of connection, whilst they are providing it for free I wont complain. However to cap the speed to me its just a little too cheap. Whilst I understand if its older hotel and its been retrospectively been fitted, but it is a brand new property so they would have been able to implement a wifi system within the hotel from scratch. I just hope eventually luxury hotels will eventually get out of this habit of charging for internet !

However this doesn't knock it of a 5/5 rating, this hotel is excellent edition to the London hotel scene and its easily one of the best around in the capital and has quickly become one of my favorite Intercontinental properties, I will certainly be staying again.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Leaping_Deere
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We were well looked after and given a beautiful suite on the top floor of the hotel to celebrate our wedding anniversary
Staff were brilliant and location perfect
I would recommend the club lounge - good food and great staff
Ideal for a few nights away at a very central and quiet location

Room Tip: Splash out and stay in a club room
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DENNIS00736
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Chose to stay here for a recent leisure weekend as an alternative to the Park Lane. The hotel is still very new as noted in other reviews but the service level from the staff is excellent. From the moment we stepped out of the taxi through to checking out everything was handled professionally and wih a high level of personal attention.

The rooms are not particularly large by IC standards but the bathroom was larger than expected and the bed was extremely comfortable.

The hotel itself si a little out of the way if you are looking to spend most of your time in the West End but overall it's a good location

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2013

One of the best hotels I've stayed in in the UK. Right up there with my experiences of hotels and customer experience in Dubai. Location is fantastic (quiet but central is rare in London), staff were incredibly courteous and helpful and the room was pure luxury - walk-in rainfall shower, nespresso machine, huge plasma TV wall (the little things that make a stay that bit better). Wished we'd stayed an extra night to enjoy it a little more, but will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Everyone deserves a little luxury in their life and this is the place to get it. My only regret is that we only stayed one night. The location is superb, right next to St James' Park tube station and within walking distance of Westminster Abbey, Houses of Parliament, London Eye etc. My wife and I were in London for one night for a theatre trip and chose this hotel to use one of my reward nights. The service was excellent from start to finish. Check in was fast and efficient and we received a room upgrade. The receptionist gave us a tour of the hotel before we went up to our room. The room was perfect, a great wetroom shower, comfortable bed, media centre to allow laptop or USB connection to the flat screen TV which had all the channels one could want inlcuding Sky Sports. Everything in the room was in first class order. We did not use the hotel bar or restaurant so cannot comment on those. Looking at the menu, breakfast was on the pricey side as are the drinks, however the Feathers pub next door serves a variety of real ales and serves food as well.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple