“Lovely London Hotel”

Conrad London St. James
Ranked #56 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 30 April 2013

We stayed here for a couple of days in January in between a move from London to Sydney and found it quite nice, but with a few little points that were probably just down to the newness of the hotel and staff. The lobby is nice but isn't nearly as lovely as the actual rooms or the Club Lounge. The rooms are great. They're not big, but for London they are a good size and the bathroom will make you very happy indeed. The bed was incredibly comfortable in our Executive suite (an upgrade since I'm a Platinum Ambassador) and the closet space was ample. We had some difficulties with the television not coming on at all or taking an inordinately long time to "warm up".
The Club Lounge is very beautifully and thoughtfully designed with several casual seating areas that are divided off cleverly so that you can have a bit of privacy. The breakfast was nice and the little warm treats and choices in the evening were quite nice. However, all day long there's really nothing in between. This is only one of two Intercontinental Club lounges that I've been at that has done that and I'm not impressed. Plus, the staff working in the Club were less friendly and definitely not up to the standards that I've come to expect from Intercontinental. For instance, I wasn't feeling well in the afternoon before we were to depart for Sydney and I wanted some crackers or a piece of bread and all that the staff in the Club could do to "help" out was tell me that I'd need to order something from the restaurant as they didn't have anything at all available. I find it hard to believe that they couldn't have found a cracker or two somewhere in the hotel. We were a bit surprised by how not friendly the Club staff was since all of the other hotel staff at reception and concierge were incredibly friendly and helpful. Maybe they just have the wrong people staffing the Club.
We had a long talk with the manager about the little issues that we had encountered and he assured us that he would take our input into consideration and try to remedy some of it immediately. I guess we'll see how well they've done at fixing up those items if we make a return trip. Of course, he also offered me some Priority Club points in light of some of the issues that we had during our stay and I'm still waiting on those to hit my account. Though we did enjoy his bag of treats that he gave to us as we were leaving the hotel for our very, very long flights from London to Sydney.
I would say that the location is quite good, depending on what you want to do while visiting London, plus transportation links are very nearby. And certainly the hotel is more pleasant than the older Intercontinental Park Lane (which is desperately in need of an update). I am sure that once all of the new hotel and staff issues are ironed out this will be a truly outstanding hotel and I do look forward to staying there again on our next trip to London in July. I would like to make it clear that despite the issues we had, we did find the hotel to be very nice and did have a nice stay and I would recommend it to anyone coming to London.

Room Tip: I think a higher room would be best since the street in front of the hotel can be quite busy and lou...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded 1 May 2013

Dear KMPeterson

Thank you for the review of your stay in January and I do hope you have settled into your new roles in Sydney. I can assure you that a number of 'opening' issues you encountered have subsided and you will see from other reviews on this forum are very positive about both our offering and team.

I am pleased to see that you will visit us again in July and ask that you contact me directly when you are ready to make a reservation and I will be pleased to look after your booking personally.

Scot Turner, Hotel Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (3,362)

Reviewed 30 April 2013

We enjoyed a long weekend there last week,the location is excellent literally minutes away from Westminster Abbey,the Houses of Parliament,Big Ben and much more,across the street is the underground with connections to everywhere.The hotel is ultra modern with a well lit atrium and a bronze sculpture of a man climbing a ladder to nowhere,the staff are very welcoming and check in was prompt.As a Royal Ambassador member I had prepaid the room and was upgraded to a Studio Suite on the third floor,beautifully appointed with a king bed,couch desk and a swivel flat screen viewable from the couch or bed,the location facing the main street was at times a little noisey but not too bad,also through our bedroom felt a vey slight vibration till midnight due to the closeness of the underground.The club floor was delightful and we were served well by Linda a native New Yorker,we had afternoon tea and scones and stayed late for the canapes and cocktail hour,people dressed correctly and this is so important in a Capital city,its common sense but also polite to oblige.We also used the Club for breakfast which was excellent and plentiful,all the usuals,cold cuts home made breads fruits and of course eggs to order and more,I particularly enjoyed their flat black top mushrooms,delicious....................Not cheap by any standard of the imagination and I had enquired the cost to upgrade from the Studio to the usual Junior suite we are accustomed to getting and literally gasped to learn the next level was about an additional $650 a night,at these prices it is not for the faint of heart.Overall the experience was a good one and Once I save my pennies again I would be happy to return......................

Room Tip: Rooms on front ours was 343 was noisey and vibration from the underground was only minor there are p...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2013

Dear talentpicker

Thank you for the excellent review of your most recent stay with us in Westminster, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that Linda extended some fantastic service in Club InterContinental, I have spoken with her this morning and she is delighted to read your comments.

I am also pleased to see that you enjoyed your room and that our location in the hub of the Royal and Political heartland of Britain stood out, as you point out we are 2 minutes from Westminster Abbey but also we are a 10 minute walk across St James Park to Mayfair.

I do hope next time you visit London we can welcome you to Intercontinental London Westminster once again.

With Best Wishes

Reviewed 29 April 2013

So 10 years of marriage was upon us and i decided to whisk my wife off to London for the night ,We went onto Lastminute.com and book one of their secret hotels and after paying Was told it was InterContinental Westmister .

So when we arrived we were greeted by a smiling doorman and and beautiful reception full of light and looked amazing ,We were upgraded to a King room which was just brilliant with its TV in the mirror and big bathroom and the room was spotless clean.

This truly is a 5 Star Hotel and we were treated as such but my wife was abit uneasy as we are a low income family due to me having a long term illness but the young gentleman at the desk put her at ease making us feel like we where royalty .

The hotel is in a perfect spot and lots of places to eat and drink and close to the underground and the main attractions .

Sum it up ,JUST A STUNNING HOTEL WITH TOP TOP STAFF

Time of stay April 26th 2013

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MrAnnell

Dear MrAnnell

Thank you for the fantastic review of your most recent stay in Westminster, I am pleased to read that you felt treated like 'royalty' and our team looked after you so well, it is always nice to see that our guests have enjoyed their special occasions while staying with us.

We look forward to welcoming you to the hotel once again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

I made a one night visit this hotel and can report that it is a high quality hotel in an excellent location for business and leisure travellers alike. It ticked all the boxes in terms of rooms, appearance, cleanliness, professional staff. I didnt have a chance to use the restaurant and other facilities but I will be doing so on my next visit to this hotel, which I look forward to.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear MickHampshire

Many thanks for the fantastic review of your stay with us in Westminster, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that a number of elements including our team stood out during your visit.

I do hope it won't be too long before you have the opportunity to visit us once again.

Reviewed 29 April 2013

We booked 2 classic rooms 2 days before our arrival on Saturday 27th April through secret escapes and got a great deal. I called ahead before our arrival to let the hotel know we would be arriving around 10am and that it was my wedding anniversary. We we were grateful that our rooms were ready when we arrived and the lady on reception was very polite and helpful and informed us that me and my friends room had been upgraded to a king classic. We were not dissapointed.....the room was lovely and everything was to high spec standard. Large bathroom separate toilet and shower. In the bedroom was a large extremely comfortable bed. The room had everything you could need or ask for. Great coffee machine and fridge full of goodies (for an extra charge). Nice to have fresh milk and not uht like you get in most hotels though it still didn't smell too fresh though. The hotel is in a fab location next to Scotland Yard and opposite he tube station and 5 mins walk to westminster abbey. We ate in the hotel restaurant on saturday evening, i didnt think it was great but just ok. The next time I'm in London I will be staying here again.

Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear amazinggrace55

Thank you for the review of your most recent stay in London, I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us and that you enjoyed the comforts of your room whilst relaxing on your anniversary.

It is fantastic that you have said you will stay with us on your next trip to London and I look forward to welcoming you when this occasion arises.

Reviewed 27 April 2013

I arrived at around 8:40pm and after a slightly slow check-in (the receptionist did not have a good command of English), I found my room (on the top floor), which represented an upgrade from what I had reserved. The room was not enormous but was well designed and had a large bathroom. The highlight of the hotel, however, was the Club Lounge, which I entered just before 9pm. There was still a good selection of cold canapes on display and the staff offered me some "hot canapes", which turned out to be a fish pie and some vegetables - a small meal in itself. Although they officially stop serving food at 9pm, the staff asked whether I had eaten enough before they started to put the food away, which showed a certain commitment to customer service, which I have not always observed in other hotels. I also had an excellent breakfast the next morning in the lounge. The hotel is located opposite the entrance to St James' Park station, which is good unless there is engineering work as there was when I checked out. A most enjoyable experience.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear Hampshire-resident

Many thanks for the review of your most recent stay with us in Westminster and I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us in particular Club InterContinental.

As you point out, our location adjacent to St James Park tube is ideal for commuting around London however with Mayfair a 10 minute walk away a stroll through the stunning Royal Parks are much more scenic.

I do hope we can welcome you once again.

Reviewed 27 April 2013

Great setting by St James Park (in fact opposite the tube) and New Scotland Yard. Had booked on a free night voucher so only got a basic room but this was well equipped and comfortable, if a bit small.
Was kept waiting for my room. Arrived at 2.40pm and was told rather bluntly that check in was 3pm. I went back at 3.15 and it still wasn't ready , I was offered a complimentary drink but having sat and watched a dozen or more people checking in whilst waiting I couldn't help but feel this was because I was on an unpaid night (not withstanding the fact I stay at IHG hotel dozens of time a year).
As others have said this hotel has nowhere near the 5* feel of the Park Lane IC or the Waldorf but would recommend if a good rate was available , on location alone.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled on business

Dear Sean09

Thank you for the review of your most recent stay in Westminster and my sincere apologies if you weren't able to check in on arrival as your room was not ready, please be assured this had nothing to do with the fact that you were on a complimentary basis, all our guests are equally important no matter what the reason for their stay. I am sure the other guests checking in were in different room types to yourself however I understand how frustrating this must be.

I do hope we can welcome you to Westminster again in the future.