“Good job, well done!”

Ranked #49 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Guildford UK
“Good job, well done!”
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Jooloos and I stayed at the intercontinental on the occasion of Jooloo's birthday. Great location, great staff, great service, especially doormen who could not have been more helpful. Plenty of our American cousins for company and they know good service when they see it
Slummed it with a 'superior room' but it was great with the best bathroom ever (well, almost) rooms very well appointed, nicely thought out although Jooloos found the clock too bright at night. Yep, that was the only criticism. Location fabulous, opposite tube, walk to st James's park (wonderful) or on to Leicester square. Can also walk to river, houses of parliament, London eye.
Restored my faith in London hotels. Good job, well done!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this review, 9 June 2013
Dear Jooloosgoesnorth

Many thanks for the excellent review of your recent visit to Westminster, I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that our team delivered fantastic service to you throughout.

I do hope it won't be too long before you have the opportunity to visit us once again.

Scot Turner, Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (420)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 5 June 2013

Decided to book myself at this new property. Stayed here in January and experienced mediocre service. Thought this was due to opening jitters by staff. Alas, service has not improved. Upon checking in last night was told there was no upgrade available since I had booked studio suite. Odd. Hmmm. Later in the check in process, was advised a better room was available but for an additional 170 pounds. What? Is this anyway to treat a Royal Ambassador loyalty card holder? The first studio suite was next to the servants entrance, the next was near lifts and not of same standard. I gave up.
This morning's breakfast is another disappointing example in service. Seated in the middle of two couples when there were plenty of tables elsewhere. Then never served. Sat there ten mins while waiter attended to others. Finally went to buffet and grabbed a yogurt only to find no spoons at the table, no waiter, poor service. Walked out without breaksfast.
A lovely property w lots of potential but clearly still going through teething pains on service several months into its operation.
Advice: either get used to poor service or go elsewhere. As for me sadly my royal ambassador card (which lately does not get you much in the way of benefits) will be shredded when I return home and will find another hotel in London as there are plenty of choices.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Shuler_dennis
Dear Shuler_dennis

Thank you for the review of your experience at Westminster and please accept my apologies that you have encountered some issues during your stay.

Please be assured we have investigated your comments and following this have spoken to our Front Office team with regards to Ambassador upgrades as this issue should not have been allowed to happen and once again we apologise that this was the case.

We have also made a number of improvements in breakfast, with the recent inception of the continental buffet in Blue Boar we have constantly been reviewing the standards with our team and I am positive these issues will not arise in teh future.

I do hope that in the future you will allow us the opportunity to show you that this experience was not indicative of our usual high standards.

Essex
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Very impressed with the size of the rooms and the bathroom of this London Hotel. The room was very well equipped and a very decent size. The bed and the pillows were the most comfortable I have ever had in a UK Hotel. The bathroom had a separate toilet room, and a separate shower room, was very well lit with plenty of mirrors and complimentary toiletries. Unfortunately we only stayed for one night, as this was a Wedding Anniversary treat, but breakfast on the Sunday morning was excellent, and very reasonably priced for a central London hotel. The service was also very good, both at breakfast and at check in and check out. We would definitely stay here again if in London for the weekend.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the reception of the hotel are very quiet. No traffic noise even though in central...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Dear Twinkletwo

Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us in Westminster to celebrate your anniversary and I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us and that our team looked after you so well.

I do hope we can welcome you once again in the near future.

Darlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 June 2013

If you can find a cab driver that knows where the hotel is (it's pretty new!) then this is a gem. From the moment we arrived my wife and I felt like we the only guests in the hotel. The desk staff, concierge and most of all catering staff could not have been better. Our room was fantastic and felt really comfortable which is unusual in the world of corporate clone hotel rooms. Everything was clean and the decor looked as though someone had really put though into it. The Blue Boar Smokehouse for breakfast was superb and my wife's gluten free requirements were fully catered for without the slightest fuss. All in all a fabulous hotel in a great location.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Simonkj

Many thanks for the fantastic review of your most recent stay in Westminster, I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your honeymoon with us and our team looked after you so well.

I do hope it won't be too long before you have the opportunity to visit once again.

Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 1 June 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this intercon a few weeks ago for the first time and was very pleasantly surprised. The hotel is brand new and has a very fresh and clean look and feel to it. The lobby had some very unique art pieces which I found added character to the property.

The staff at check-in were very courteously informed me that since the hotel was overbooked they had to give me a disabled friendly room, which I didn't mind. Only difference is that the toilets and beds were adjusted to be more easily accessible by wheelchair. Although I do find it interesting that this room was one of the furthest rooms from the elevators (sounds slightly counterintuitive to me).

Rooms are relatively spacious for London and very sleekly equipped with everything you would expect/need.

Location is not ideal for shoppers but excellent for people staying for business with commitments nearby in addition to tourists more interested in London's sights as numerous attractions such as St. James's Park, Westminster Abby and Big Ben are a stone's throw away.

As time goes on many top-end hotels begin to lose their luster (which isn't a real concern today) but I still recommend a visit sooner rather than later.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Mohamed S
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this review, 3 June 2013
Dear WanderingSomewhere

Thank you for the excellent review of your recent stay in Westminster and I am pleased to see that you enjoyed your time with us and that you enjoyed your room.

I note your comment about the location and although not in the heart of mayfair the hotel is one stop from Victoria and Westminster stations that offer quick links to Green Park station by the stores of Bond Street.

I look forward to welcoming you to Westminster once again in the near future.

Astana, Kazakhstan
Reviewed 31 May 2013

Brand new hotel in the superb location in the heart of London. Close to all major attractions and just opposite the St. James Park Tube station. The rooms are quite nice with modern décor and fully equipped, large and comfortable bed. Large bathroom with a bath and a shower room. However, it would be great to use hairdryer in the bathroom (no power point), not outside. I really appreciated fresh fruits and a bottle of water in my room every day. Front office staff and concierge are extremely friendly and helpful.

Please, note they don`t serve buffet breakfast on the working days, only a la carte. Buffet breakfast is available only on the week end. They should have told it to the guests upon the check in. Instead of spending 10-15 min for breakfast as planned I spent about 45 min.
Honestly, I did not have a good experience with the in- house F&B (the soup I ordered from Room service was so much over- salted I could not eat it and I found a piece of clean film in my salmon roll during lunch, glasses at the conference room where we had a meeting were not very clean). Not a good value for money. Another one on a bitter side – the hotel put a full hold on my credit card despite that I have paid in full upon the check out and quite substantial amount of funds were blocked for quite some time. In general, it is a good hotel and I hope that it is a one-off bad experience that I unfortunately had that spoilt my overall impression of the hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear xmas2578

Thank you for the review of your recent stay in Westminster and I am pleased to read that you enjoyed a number of different aspects during your stay with us.

I note your comments about the breakfast buffet and I am pleased to confirm that we are currently trialling a continental buffet during the week as well following feedback from our guests so on your next visit you will be able to take advantage of this offering. Hot dishes are still offered al a carte if you have a little more time on your hands.

I do look forward to welcoming you in the near future.

New York
Reviewed 30 May 2013

The IC Westminster is a new property, so much so that many London cab drivers don't even know it by name, and you might be better off just telling them "the new place in Westminster". That's possibly the only fault I can find in this property after a short stay in late May.

The location is excellent, right cross the street from the St. James tube station, next door to Scotland Yard HQ, just a 5 minute walk from the greenery of St. James Park, and only a 7 or 8 minute walk to Westminster Abbey/Parliament Square. Although the immediate neighborhood is fairly quiet at night, not exactly hopping with nightlife, it's very safe and easy to navigate.

A few reviewers early on when the hotel opened had complaints about the staff and their level of service, and attributed it to the growing pains of a new property, but I can honestly report the the reception, concierge, bellhop, and restaurant staff were all excellent and promptly attended to any question, concern, or request I had (always with a smile, as well).

The design of the public spaces of the hotel and the rooms themselves are gorgeous: very contemporary and sleek, but comfortable and inviting at the same time, not at all stark, minimalist or "cold". High-tech lighting and entertainment systems are in all guest rooms, as are numerous power ports (including mainland Europe and USA-electrical outlets!), HDMI, USB ports, etc. The cherry on top is probably the large flat-screen TV that's embedded within a large glass wall at the foot of the bed. I've seen this before at a few other luxury hotels with small TVs in bathroom mirrors, but never with the large, main TV in the bedroom .

The bathrooms are beautifully done with dark marble, wood panelling, and a lighted border around the large mirror. One small complaint here is that the separate toilet and shower rooms are both a bit cramped in a standard king room, especially the toilet room,where opening or closing the door nearly forces you up against the wall to get around it. The bed was very comfortable, and the cooling/heating system very efficient and quiet. The rooms are also remarkably well insulated from noise outside on the street, as well as from noise in the hotel hallways (always a big pet peeve of mine). Complimentary bottled water, coffee, and tea in the mini-bar is a nice touch, as is the free wifi throughout the hotel, although it's a bit slow for downloading or media-rich sites, so you'd have to pay to upgrade to a higher-speed connection if that's a must-have for you.

One other negative for me was the Blue Boar, the in-house restaurant. I had one room-service dinner and two breakfasts there. The dinner was fairly bland and dull, with some suspiciously-mushy vegetables, but I wasn't ordering any sort of BBQ (which is apparently their speciality), as I just couldn't bring myself to eat BBQ in London. The continental breakfast buffet was sufficient, but a bit minuscule, with decent-quality meats, cheeses, yogurt, cereals, a slim selection of cut-up fruit, and milk and assorted fruit smoothies. There were no bread/pastries to be seen, which was promised on the menu, and we had to ask the waitress twice to have someone refill the empty fruit and meat/cheese platters on the buffet, but the service was otherwise fine in the restaurant, and the buffet price fairly reasonable for a hotel of this calibre.

In summary, this is gorgeous, relatively small new IC property that's centrally located in Westminster/Victoria. The rates were also very reasonable compared to the IC on Park Lane, which is definitely much more dated-looking and a bit "stuffier" as well.

Room Tip: Lower floors are fairly close to street level, so a higher floor would probably be better for those...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dear WinterVesper

Thank you for the review of your most recent stay in Westminster and I am pleased you enjoyed your time with us and the team looked after you so well.

Please be assured we have noted your comments regarding breakfast in Blue Boar and will feed this back to our team to ensure we maintain the highest levels of quality at all times.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you once again in the near future.