“Well-deserved 5 stars!”

Conrad London St. James
Ranked #58 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

My husband and I were celebrating our May birthdays in Europe (London-Barcelona-Lisbon-London) and our 4-night stay at the InterContinental Westminster was the perfect way to start us off on our 2-week celebration.

Here are the highlights that make this hotel deserving of its 5-star status and why there is no question we will be back...

ROOM
* quiet and spacious room (we were upgraded to an executive superior room from a superior)
* heavenly bed, pillows and linens (if London wasn't a-callin', we would've just stayed in to veg the entire time!)
* huge bathroom with a walk-in shower that had a hand or rain shower option, separate tub, marble vanity with lots of surface area for make-up, etc.
* lux Molton Brown toiletries
* Nespresso machine with complimentary capsules, fresh milk in fridge
* complimentary still/sparkling water in mini-bar
* turndown service (so nice to come back to the room after a full day of sightseeing and shopping)

LOCATION
* St. James' Park tube station right across the hotel (tip: get an Oyster card, the tube is very convenient and easy to navigate)
* Starbucks across the street, 5-minute walk to Westminster Abbey, 7-minute walk to Parliament, 13-minute walk to the London Eye

SPECIAL EXTRAS
* birthday treats in our room upon arrival (home-made marshmallows, chocolate, etc.)
* bottle of red wine set up in our room after turndown service which was such a nice gesture
* wonderful hotel interior scent, it was just so calming to walk into the hotel and breathe in the smell of fresh flowers all the time

PEOPLE
* professional yet friendly, not pretentious nor stuffy
* special mention to the doormen who always had a smile on their faces and consistently greeted guests

DINING
* Blue Boar deserves its own review so I'll keep this short. Hotel restaurants are sometimes a write-off, its existence and purpose almost always dependent on and/or dictated by the hotel. Blue Boar, however, can and does stand on its own merits. Get the seabass, you won't regret it!

The InterContinental Westminster absolutely lives up to its 5-star rating and high standards, we cannot wait to go back to London and stay there once again!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank tunachar
Write a ReviewReviews (3,372)

Reviewed 17 June 2013

The highlight of the trip to London was this hotel (along with all the sights of course). Staff couldn't do enough to help, bed was comfortable and housekeeping service was one of the best we have ever encountered. The location of this hotel is close to a tube station, boats down the Thames and sightseeing buses, would I stay here again, YES!

Room Tip: We stayed in a king room (think that is due to size of the bed). There is no views from this hotel...
1  Thank Peanutyellow
Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

As always the Intercontinental hotel chain never lets you down. The room was amazing as were the staff. The concierges were very helpful. Chloe the customer service officer was fantastic. The location is amazing. Walking distance to most things. 5 minutes from Buckingham Palace.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 16 June 2013

Stayed here on business having had to stay over in London for an evening meeting and I must say that it has the edge on other big 'city centre' places I've stayed in previously. It's very new and incorporates all of the latest IT gadgetry.

I hadn't stayed at this particular one before and from the word 'go it was clear that they want you to come back. The receptionist took time out to give me a guided tour of all of the facilities and an overview of how everything worked in my very swish, hi-tech room.

For anyone visiting London who wants to sample the Westminster area and the immediate neighbourhood , you couldn't go wrong. The place is just a few minutes walk away from the Palace of Westminster (Parliament/Big Ben etc), Westminster Abbey, Downing Street, Buckingham Palace, The Mall, Trafalgar Square, St James's Park and, of course, my office etc etc. There's also a fairly good selection of lively back street pubs to experience those places where the locals go. If you've a mind you could choose to wander off down Strutton Ground and have a look at what is probably the closest you might get to sampling residential life in this part of town

Commissionaires (bell boys) outside ready to hold open doors, grab your bags, guide you across the hallway, breath on your behalf etc. I always feel that it's not wholly necessary to provide so many door opening services - well not whilst I can still at least walk for myself. Light and airy reception, shed loads of marble, a great sculpture of what appears to be an arena full of characters from film and TV; really quite cool.

Having travelled a great deal in the US to many other cities, it's clear that this place would seem very familiar to American guests looking for a four or five start central location. There is an attempt at a 'pub' style bar but, as with all of these hotels, they can never create a proper British pub. Real city pubs are noisy, have crowded bars, people jostling to get served, pints in abundance and they're able to sell you a small round of drinks for under a 'tenner'. Pubs don't give you a cocktail list , nor wait upon you nor charge you enough to buy a small brewery for serving you with just one pint;, they generally don't charge for service either.

There are a few pubs in the immediate streets, starting with one right next door. These local pubs in Westminster can get very busy , particularly when the local office workers (like me!) pour out between 5 and 7.30 (ish); if you don't want to be overlooked you have to press your way forward to the bar , you can't be faint hearted about it.

I didn't try the restaurant but it certainly looked as though quality and attention to detail are the orders of the day.

The room was very swish. Simply wave your key card at the card reader and you're in. Hi-tech services in abundance to connect you to the world in whatever way you choose and even a way to disconnect yourself with the minimum of effort - a switch on the bedside table console which controls the curtains. There is even a means ,they assured me, to connect your own i-pod to the sound system. My guide proudly informed me that the TV I was looking at was merely the screen display from a centralised 'TV Server' elsewhere in the hotel. Not that it mattered. It was a big TV and the sound system includes speakers in the bathroom ! Whatever floats your boat.

I'm not sure whether I'd been paying undivided attention to my guide for, as I eventually settled in for the night, I reached to turn off the lights only to try ever switch before finding one which would plunge me into darkness. En route to darkness I had been treated to every lighting effect I could imagine from soft and subtle to dazzling brilliance. Something for everyone I'm sure, including the electricity company.

Staff were very friendly and helpful, everything is new, bright and clean. If you're lucky enough to afford it, it's worth staying here.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I booked three nights in this new central London hotel for my parents to stay in while my mother was celebrating her 80th birthday. The communal areas of the hotel itself are lovely, and the staff could not have been more attentive or helpful.

However having let the hotel know that it was a special occasion and being a weekend and a new hotel, knowing the hotel was nowhere near full, I was a bit disappointed with the room they were allocated. It was on the 2nd floor with no view, except into the windows of the neighbouring office block. The hotel is not that far from St James Park and I cannot believe that this was the only room available.

The room itself was very small, so there was only room for one comfy chair, meaning that one of them had to sit on the bed all the time. Had I been paying full price as advertised on the hotel website for this room I would definitely have felt cheated by the size of the room

The bathroom was much more spacious, there was a large bath, a walk in shower closet and a toilet in a separate room. But I was very surprised, given that it was a new hotel to find the large bathroom door was broken. This is a very heavy door that slides across the bathroom door, but it had come completely off its' runners. The staff could not fix it during the weekend, and they offered to move my parents but they declined having already settled in and unpacked.

There is free bottled water in the mini-bar fridge as well as milk for the tea and coffee. The coffee is from a coffee machine but there are no instructions that we could find, it was all a bit trial and error. My mum also struggled to close and open the curtains, until I rang reception who told us that an unmarked button at the side of the bed operated the curtains. Again this should have been labelled as the other buttons on the panel (for lights) were.

There were free slippers and large fluffy bathrobes in the room, as well as a large umbrella hanging in the wardrobe. While the hotel seems to have got the small touches like this right, and the staff were very helpful, in my opinion, some of the more major things are not going well.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before accepting it. I think the view is important, and the size of the room.
4  Thank Wales_Solo_traveller
Reviewed 9 June 2013

We booked the Hotel Intercontinental Westminster for one evening as part of a weekend to celebrate a birthday. It is within walking distance of the Victoria Palace Theatre where Billy Elliot is currently showing. It is also within easy strolling distance of Westminster Abbey, The Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Buckingham Palace, St. James's Park and the London Eye. We were greeted by extremely helpful doormen who obliged us with our luggage. There is no parking for the hotel so there are two options. Walk the 5-10 minutes and park your own vehicle in the Horseferry car park. That will cost £30 for 24 hours or the valet parking will cost £50 for 24 hours. On the Sunday there were plenty of places to park for free in the small side streets behind Westminster Abbey. Check in was very swift and professional and we were offered the services of being shown the facilities in the room. We did decline, but perhaps if we had taken it we would have known that the curtains were electric! (press the unlabeled button by the bedside cabinet). Now the room. We were offered an upgrade from a classic to a superior room. As the hotel is newly opened, everything was lovely and fresh and of course spotlessly clean. The bathroom was spacious, well lit and with a bose surround sound system, lovely bath and large walk in shower. The rain head shower was lovely as were the bathroom products. The king size bed was heavenly with high thread count linen and a choice of pillows. The room was so quiet and we slept really well. The room itself is not enormous but it is decorated well and they have made good use of the space. There is ample room for hanging your clothes. They provide a hairdryer and an iron should you need it. The amenities include a coffee machine and kettle for making tea. It was lovely to have fresh milk provided in the mini fridge, although a little teapot would have been most welcome. There is complimentary fresh water too. It was such a lovely touch to return to our room and find truffles, chocolate and fresh fruit, with wishes for me to have a Happy Birthday. We cannot fault the service nor friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. They helped make our weekend very special. Breakfast was very enjoyable and we also enjoyed having a sharing platter in the Blue Boar Bar. It is in an ideal location for day time sightseeing although there is definitely a very quiet atmosphere in the evening. Great if you want a good nights sleep, but you will have to venture a little further if you are looking for something a bit more buzzing. We would definitely stay here again the next time we are in London.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded 10 June 2013

Dear Cambridge Tourist

Many thanks for the excellent review of Westminster and I am pleased that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and that our team stood out as one of the highlights of your time with us and that you enjoyed Blue Boar Bar.

I do hope it won't be too long until you visit us once again.

Kind Regards

Scot Turner, Hotel Manager

Reviewed 9 June 2013

we visit London at least once a year, so city itself is know. As priority platinium ambassador it was interesting to found out that there is new Intercontinental Hotel so we decide to book this for our 4 night stay.

Location is nice, just a corner of Westminister Abbey and subway also near, but its pretty much same everywhere London, but if like to walk example to Piccadilly location is ok for that too, we used mainly taxi, reliable and fast and everywhere.

About hotel, we booked executive club room, and as ambassador got upgrade to studio suite. I also liked to test how hotel response about transport question, got by email prompt answer and we agreed that hotel arrange pickup from Heathrow, price is more that if booked airport taxi or use cab, but for us it was good to have pick up early morning, anyway cheaper than taxi back home.

Pick up went well, driver with mercedes was waiting and morning drive went smoothly. door stuff take care of our luggage as suppose to and we went to check-in, it was only 10AM so we didnt expect to have room ready, but check-in boy was prompt and polite and we had room ready too, but he had suggestion for extra pay we get upgrade to one bedroom suite, pretty much best in house we were told, I agree and then he left and show us club room, our room and explain all necessary things, everything went smoothly and we had early very nice room.

One bedroom suite has living room window faced front of buliding and bedroom are backyard which is very quite, nice walk-in shower, and clean room. I would like to have separate toilet with living room, but cannot get everything. Room was with excellent shape and nothing missing. We had late check-out, so used room at latest, I think only thing was that we needed to ask toilet paper, but that was it.

Club room was small, no window, its inside hotel. Decoration is clean, few soffa groups, if need there is big toilet with shower and amenities, so its good for those who do not have room and not yet time to leave. There is NO champagne, that you can get from Park Lane, but decent red and white wine, and snacks. All needed Sopirits at cocktail hour too and friendly staff who do and help for what ever you need.

We had breakfast also at clubroom, small and should have all needed. but I am sure there is very nice breakfast at restaurant too, our warm dishes came from there, those need to ask separately.

We arrived wednesday, had musical, shopping, meet Thursday friends, Friday our friend, also platnium ambassador came to join us at hotel, so we enjoyed club room togehter before dinners. We had to our benefit option to book meeting room at Club for hour and we did, three of us had meeting Friday to plan Saturday at London, it was fun, prompt stuff tried to help to get ipad plugged to big tv, it wasnt possible and also tv wasnt tv, only screen, so couldnt watch tv there or us it as screen with ipad, but we survived and had another meeting Saturday.

Club staff, Spanish and Italian girl was nice ans friendly, others not so happy, I could make checkout at club, but why not check-in happen there, anyway no complaint by stuff. At door, Latvian guy was friendly and helpfull as everybody there.

We used Blue Boar Smokehouse bar daily and Friday also restaurant. At restaurant food was good quality, prompt service as can expected and easy to walk at room after :) , use only once room service, having champagne, that was prompt service too.

At bar young boys looked tired everyday, but service was good, nice soffa arreas and chairs, had also lunch there, everything are as suppose to be. AT lobby there is valuable feeling, and nice service.

Overall experience where evrything was so well with hotel that we didnt think that so much, we concentrate other things, our own schedule, hotel, bar, staff was around service that and I think this was pretty much smoothist visit I have had to hotel, everything was perfect, thank you.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jimmy2712

Dear Jimmy2712

Thank you for the excellent review of your recent stay in Westminster and as a Platinum Ambassador I am pleased we exceeded your expectations and you enjoyed a number of different aspects of your stay in particular our team, who stood out in Club InterContinental.

I do hope you will visit us again on your next trip to London.

Kind Regards