“Made to feel very welcome at this great hotel”

Conrad London St. James
Ranked #50 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Chose the hotel primarily for location for a theatre break in the Capital. It's large, modern - and the normal word to follow is impersonal but not at all. The staff were charming, from the doorman who found us a car park space right outside the door (saving us a 10 min walk and £29 in parking costs), to the welcome we got at reception, the restaurant staff. It felt like they cared that we had a good time. Got an unasked for upgrade to a suite as mentioned it was our wedding anniversary. Had a lovely meal in the restaurant, great cocktails in the bar. The Pimms cocktail at £12 that I didn't like I was not charged for. The only reason I don't give 5 stars is:-

1. Decor in restaurant is brown, brown, brown - very dull
2. Beautiful lounge area next to the restaurant but too cold to sit in
3. All food and drink was lovely apart from tea and coffee which was disgusting

Really, highly recommended, also on a quiet road so no traffic noise and right opposite St James Place tube so very convenient for theatre land and for many tourist spots.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Conrad London St. James

Reviewed 23 June 2013

I stayed for one night at the hotel whilst on business trip, I booked through last minuet and got a reasonable deal. On arrival I was given a twin room which wasn't what I requested but there were no double rooms available. The receptionist however offered a complimentary breakfast which I thought was a nice gesture. The room was spacious and modern everything you would expect of an intercontinental Hotel. One thing that annoys me about modern hotels is the reliance on electronics, the TV wasn't easy to switch on and the blinds completely foxed me, they were also electronic, why hide the switch ? The meal I ordered was good, the side order was however cold. Breakfast the next day was pleasant, however I was asked three time by the same person for my room number! The over all experience was good, but if I'd payed full price for the hotel, I wouldn't think is was great value for money, it's newly opened so I'm sure there are having a few teething problems, would I stay again, probably.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Mondomodo
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2013

Dear Mondomodo,

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback on your stay. It is unfortunate issues with the in room electronics prevented you from fully enjoying your time at the hotel. We are confident the necessary adjustments will be made, in order to achieve complete guest satisfaction.

Ben J
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 22 June 2013

Feeling good
(1)Prime location
(2)High standard of room services and space of a classic room is large as compared to other London hotels.
(3)There is ONE lady staff who stand in the hotel lobby will give you a feeling of warm welcome back and that is the same standard of service that you can find in other InterContinental Hotel elsewhere.

Feeling not so good
(1)The restaurant that serves breakfast divided into 3 sections. Only two sections open for breakfast area, one with dim lighting and the other deco with brighter lighting. I did have a feeling that I needed to struggle to be seated in the brighter section. Obviously, most people prefer lighter area and I wonder why they just don't adjust the lighting and let their clients asked/struggled for that?
(2)The best price guarantee policy seemed to be reliable but in fact there are many exists!
(3)Without that nice lady staff, just nothing special!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Dear chanwandahk,

Thank you for staying with us and leaving such a detailed review. I am glad to see that you left some feed back on what you liked as well as what fell below your expectations. We certainly do our utmost to make your stay comfortable and pleasant, so we are very pleased to note that you were satisfied with the level of service, facilities and the location of the hotel. I apologize for any inconvenience your restaurant experience may have caused you. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually. Thank you for staying with us and we all hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

Janice A
Case Manager
IHGCare

Reviewed 20 June 2013

This hotel opened recently near the parliamentary buildings in London. I found location to be wonderfully quiet yet easy access to all required. Rooms new, fresh, large. I had a handicap room and didnt even mind. Good spaces for breakfast, tea. And nice local restaurants and pubs nearby. Peonies were in season and I felt they overdid it a bit with the scent, but flowers were pretty. I'd stay again. Good business hotel or vacation.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 June 2013

As a fan of the Crown Plaza at St James I have to say I will be torn in future as to where to stay!

Great location, fab decor (the bathroom was just super). Very good staff through out. Very quiet. Liked the TV and umberella.

Room service was very slick; I really liked the hot box for keeping my porridge warm. Just a little on the expensive side, the tray charge is per person, so I paid £25 for a piece of chicken and vegetables and just less for a chicken cesear salad, both of which were very tasty but at that price they should be.

I was travelling with my Mum so would have liked more space between the twin beds.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 June 2013

What a great hotel this is. There was a young woman working in the reception during our stay, she has to be one of the most serviceminded receptionist we have ever met.

The location of the hotel is perfect, with the subwab station just accross the street.

Room Tip: If you have booked a standard room, be sure to upgrade to a superior king. Great value!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Fantastic new hotel inside a historic building steps from Westminster Abbey and St. James's Park. Excellent location, detailed if efficient finish out, and wonderful staff. Definitely recommend for business or sightseeing in old Victorian London.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family