“Upselling frenzy” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #41 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Manchester UK
“Upselling frenzy”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2013

Location is great and the rooms are good if a little small. No baths in bathrooms etc and really more Crowne Plaza than Intercontinental.

The thing that put me off the place was the mad upselling frenzy in check in. I'm IHG Platinum and was using my points. Sometimes I get upgraded, sometimes I don't. No big deal. But the guys on check in here must have some pretty big bonuses tied to upsells.

- You booked a classic room. We have a beautiful 1 bedroom suite available!
- OK. Is it complimentary?
- No, but it is beautiful and we can offer it at only £300 extra per night
- How about breakfast?
- How much is it?
- Its only £25 per person if you book now. Its a great offer!
- How much if I just go?
- Much much more!
- How much?
- £31
- No thanks
- OK - How about access to the club lounge? You can have this for just £114 per person and that includes breakfast
- No thanks
- Oh. Well if you don't want any of these things I can offer you only a room on either the 4th or 5th floor
- Fine

You know that feeling when you just want someone to give you the key? I also saw a post it on my check in card which read "Plat member - NO Breakfast - NO Club access". I don't think I was meant to see that!

Also, not that its a big issue, there was none of the niceties like free fruit and water that I normally get in the room being a platinum member. They obviously don't bother at this property as they are hoping the get as much cash as possible from the upselling.

Anyway, there are worse places to stay in London but for the money this did leave a bad taste in my mouth.

For my money I'd rather stay at the Park Lane Interconti.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Marraminga
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this review, 14 August 2013
Dear Marraminga

Thank you for the review of your recent stay in Westminster and I do apologise if you felt your check in was not welcoming. Indeed our Reception team receive a number of positive comments as you can see from other posts on Trip Advisor and this is most unusual. It is definitely not our intention to force sell upgrades or Club Lounge access however this is something we offer on check in, again my apologies if this offended you in any way.

I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the future to show you this is not typical of our usual welcome.

Scot Turner, Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a weekend in July and really can't say anything bad about it. The staff were really friendly and the room was excellent.

The food in the bar was nice enough, with very attentive service. The Sunday brunch was outstanding. Really good value and stunning food (especially the eat as much as you like starters/deserts!!

Only negative is lack of pool (but the gym was well equipped for what I required).

Will stay here again.

• Stayed July 2013
West Hartford, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

We stayed at the Intercontinental Westminster from July 20-22 and I was very pleased with the fantastic location and the modern, clean rooms. From the second we arrived, however, the service we received from the front desk and concierge was mediocre. After waiting in line approximately 15 minutes to check in (after having just arrived in London from the States) we were treated quite brusquely and handed our keys with no offer to be shown our rooms - the receptionist just pointed towards the elevators. Later, when we attempted to received advice from the concierge we were met with resistance and very little useful information. I never felt welcome in the hotel, but it is clean, modern and well located.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank carpediem2013
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this review, 4 August 2013
Dear carpediem2013

Thank you for the review of your most recent stay with us in Westminster and I am pleased you enjoyed our unique location in the political heartland of London. It is with regret you felt we did not welcome you to the hotel, this is most disappointing and please accept my sincere apologies if this was the case. Our team are normally the highlight of our guests stays as you will see from other TA posts, it is most unfortunate you did not experience this.

I do hope on your next trip to the UK you will allow us the opportunity to show you this is not typical of our usual high standards of hospitality.

Stoke-on-Trent, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

This hotel is fairly new and it shows in its decor, features and main rooms.
I stayed in a standard room which was amazing. Nespresso coffee machine, rain-shower, excellent TV / AV kit in a clever mirrored wall, large & very comfortable bed and superb little details (like the card with the jogging routes or the umbrella in the room).

The blue boar restaurant is well priced with great food.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Rob S
Dear Rob S

Thank you for the excellent review of your most recent stay with us in Westminster and I am delighted that you enjoyed your time with us in particular the comfort of your room and the Blue Boar Smokehouse.

I do hope on your next visit to London we have the opportunity to welcome you once again.

London UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

My wife and I booked the InterContinental Westminster for a wedding anniversary weekend in London. We have stayed in a number of InterContinental Hotels all around the world but this is way up there amongst the best. Everything was first class - the rooms although modest in size are well-designed, very well appointed and extremely comfortable. The bathrooms are wonderful with a great shower and separate tub - again appointed with high quality fittings. Overall the hotel has the appearance of being very well maintained (my wife loved the flowers!) and it is in a great location. What real made our stay so special were the staff - everyone was extremely friendly and helpful. In particular Craig at the front desk ensured that our stay was truly wonderful. We will be back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank indo555
Dear ndo555

Thank you for the fantastic review of your most recent stay with us in Westminster and thank you for regarding us as one of the best InterContinental hotels you have visited. It is pleasing to see that your stay was made special by our team who looked after you and please be assured we will recognise Craig for his excellent service.

I do hope you will visit us again in the future.

Yonkers, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

My wife and I finally made our long awaited trip to London and stayed at the Intercontinental Westminster. We had stayed at other Intercontinental hotels in the US, so we expected good accommodations and service. What we got exceeded all our expectations. From the moment we arrived the staff made us feel like we were the only ones in the hotel. The service was great and the accommodations were modern and very comfortable. The food at the Blue Boar restaurant was delicious. (you must try the ribs cooked in their own smokehouse!)
The location is perfect if you are exploring the sites of London and the concierge will give you great tips on when and where to go to make the most of your stay. We are already planning our next trip to the fantastic Westminster.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank Manuel C
Dear Manuel C

Thank you for the excellent review of your most recent stay with us in Westminster and I am pleased that our team made your time with us all the more special. I am also delighted you enjoyed the Blue Boar Smokehouse in particular our signature Blue Boar Ribs, taking 14 hours to produce they are one of our most popular dishes.

I do hope on your next trip to London we will have the opportunity to welcome you once again.

SF Bay Area
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

First the good: Ideal location within easy walking to Westminster, Parliament, theaters, Buckingham Palace, and St James Park. Also, the property itself is quite nice. Rooms are comfortable and well appointed. Bathrooms are exceptional.

Now the bad: The service was mediocre at best. The employees are not very helpful and quite snooty. Every request was treated as if it were an imposition on them. It felt like I was bothering them if I asked for anything. They will not allow you to drink a coffee in their lobby, for example. I was asked to either go to my room or go outside. Really? I cannot drink my own coffee in the lobby of the hotel I am staying at?

If they get new staff, this could be a great hotel. As is, it is just a nice property with poor management.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank blueman2
Dear blueman2

Thank you for the review of your most recent stay with us in Westminster and I am pleased you enjoyed the location of the hotel, ideally located for the Houses of Parliament, Big Ben, Westminster Abbey and some of the stunning Royal Parks.

It is with regret that you did not find our team welcoming, this is most unusual as we normally receive excellent comments regarding our service. I do apologise if you felt it was not acceptable our team asked you not to consume drinks from outside the hotel in our Concierge Lounge, we are more than happy to serve you beverages from one of our lounges in any area of the hotel and would not restrict this in any way.

I do hope that on your next trip to London you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you once again and show you this was not a typical experience of our hotel.