“Great in every way.”

Conrad London St. James
Ranked #48 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 8 August 2013

stayedlast weekend for my 40th Birthday. Arrived at 1200 and room wa already available, size of the room was large wuth a hughe bathroom and all the amenites you coul want. We had heatre tickets booked for the afternoon and when we got back to the hotel i found a bottle of champagne in the room compliments of the managment. Extra touches really impress me. All staff at the hotel were great and the club lounge was a place of peacful calm . Location is right opposie tube so very easy to get to all main sights. Would recommend this hotel all day long.
Cant wait to visit again soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Dear MarkyB73

Thank you for the fantastic review of your recent stay with us in Westminster and congratulations on your recent birthday, I am pleased our team made sure you could celebrate in style with a bottle of champagne, we have a number of ways to recognise our guests celebrations but what better on such a milestone than bubbles!

It is also great to read that our team looked after you so well during your stay and stood out with their high levels of service.

I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Stayed here on expenses recently, as it isn't somewhere I could normally stretch to affording. What a treat it was!

Wonderfully helpful and friendly staff. Clean and beautiful rooms. We had quite a small room, but it was nice to see it had actually been designed to fit the space, so as not to feel cramped. Fancy coffee machine, huge TV, huge shower, great bath. Amazing piece of nerd art in the foyer of the House of Commons as depicted by Star Wars/Marvel/Pixar characters.

My only complaint would be that the mini-bar was extortionate. I have stayed in smaller, cheaper boutique hotels before where the soft drinks and chocolates etc were free (The Hide, Hendon for example), whereas here it was £5 for a mini tub of Pringles. However, I suppose if you can afford to stay here, you can probably afford £5 for some crisps.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear lifeofholly

Thank you for the review of your recent stay in Westminster and I am pleased to read that you were able to enjoy your 'treat' and our team stood out during your visit.

I am sorry if you felt our mini bar was over priced, we do research other hotels and offerings and try to keep our offering as competitive as possible.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We had a wonderful stay for three nights - July 17-20. Pleasant surprise to check in upon arrival at 10:00 a.m. Beautifully appointed room, top notch bathroom. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Very convenient to everything. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I have stayed in this hotel several times now and can say that it is my new favourite hotel in London. The location is great and that is just the beginning...

Everything about this hotel has been spot on every visit. The rooms are comfortable and beautifully decorated - I especially love the Molton Brown amenities. The staff are friendly and helpful, the Club Lounge has a nice atmosphere and a nice selection of drinks and snacks.

Also, as a Royal Platinum Ambassador with ICH Group, I found that the hotel truly lives up to the program by making the elite members feel very welcome and very valued (something that is often, sadly, lacking in other hotels in the chain) - well done!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear LeandaG

As a Royal Ambassador I am delighted to read that after stay with us on a number of occasions you regard us as your favourite hotel in London, this is quite a compliment.

I am pleased you enjoy so many different aspects of your stay in particular the Club Lounge, we very much look forward to welcoming you once again in the near future.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

Location is great and the rooms are good if a little small. No baths in bathrooms etc and really more Crowne Plaza than Intercontinental.

The thing that put me off the place was the mad upselling frenzy in check in. I'm IHG Platinum and was using my points. Sometimes I get upgraded, sometimes I don't. No big deal. But the guys on check in here must have some pretty big bonuses tied to upsells.

- You booked a classic room. We have a beautiful 1 bedroom suite available!
- OK. Is it complimentary?
- No, but it is beautiful and we can offer it at only £300 extra per night
- How about breakfast?
- How much is it?
- Its only £25 per person if you book now. Its a great offer!
- How much if I just go?
- Much much more!
- How much?
- £31
- No thanks
- OK - How about access to the club lounge? You can have this for just £114 per person and that includes breakfast
- No thanks
- Oh. Well if you don't want any of these things I can offer you only a room on either the 4th or 5th floor
- Fine

You know that feeling when you just want someone to give you the key? I also saw a post it on my check in card which read "Plat member - NO Breakfast - NO Club access". I don't think I was meant to see that!

Also, not that its a big issue, there was none of the niceties like free fruit and water that I normally get in the room being a platinum member. They obviously don't bother at this property as they are hoping the get as much cash as possible from the upselling.

Anyway, there are worse places to stay in London but for the money this did leave a bad taste in my mouth.

For my money I'd rather stay at the Park Lane Interconti.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Marraminga

Dear Marraminga

Thank you for the review of your recent stay in Westminster and I do apologise if you felt your check in was not welcoming. Indeed our Reception team receive a number of positive comments as you can see from other posts on Trip Advisor and this is most unusual. It is definitely not our intention to force sell upgrades or Club Lounge access however this is something we offer on check in, again my apologies if this offended you in any way.

I do hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you again in the future to show you this is not typical of our usual welcome.

Reviewed 4 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for a weekend in July and really can't say anything bad about it. The staff were really friendly and the room was excellent.

The food in the bar was nice enough, with very attentive service. The Sunday brunch was outstanding. Really good value and stunning food (especially the eat as much as you like starters/deserts!!

Only negative is lack of pool (but the gym was well equipped for what I required).

Will stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We stayed at the Intercontinental Westminster from July 20-22 and I was very pleased with the fantastic location and the modern, clean rooms. From the second we arrived, however, the service we received from the front desk and concierge was mediocre. After waiting in line approximately 15 minutes to check in (after having just arrived in London from the States) we were treated quite brusquely and handed our keys with no offer to be shown our rooms - the receptionist just pointed towards the elevators. Later, when we attempted to received advice from the concierge we were met with resistance and very little useful information. I never felt welcome in the hotel, but it is clean, modern and well located.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank carpediem2013
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2013

Dear carpediem2013

Thank you for the review of your most recent stay with us in Westminster and I am pleased you enjoyed our unique location in the political heartland of London. It is with regret you felt we did not welcome you to the hotel, this is most disappointing and please accept my sincere apologies if this was the case. Our team are normally the highlight of our guests stays as you will see from other TA posts, it is most unfortunate you did not experience this.

I do hope on your next trip to the UK you will allow us the opportunity to show you this is not typical of our usual high standards of hospitality.