“As five stars hotel should be...”

Conrad London St. James
Ranked #50 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 9 August 2013

When you first step into the lobby, you can't help feeling anything less than disappointed. You are so used to the grand and the 'wow' factor of an entrance such those five stars in the US hotels. But let me tell you, the service here is 'first class.' Okay, that is to be expected in all normal five-star hotels. But what made this hotel 'my' five stars, and I don't give out five stars very easily. My five stars come with first the service, second the cleanliness, and third the value of your hard earn money, Granted that I did book in advance, which was $360 included breakfast (for two people). If you are a morning person and a big eater, I recommend this option. Though, I do agree with other writers that it is a bit high but who can put value in fresh squeeze orange juice. And if you are shy, you can order anything in the menu, and still able to eat off the continental breakfast bar - which costs about $20 per head. You are already splurging to stay at this fine hotel, go ahead and treat yourself to a nice breakfast!

The room and the service have been mentioned in other reviews. Go read theirs for the long version. My version is simply this...they are first class!

Room Tip: All rooms are the same, unless you're staying on the top floor and in a suite.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2013

Dear speedynikk

Thank you for the fantastic review of your most recent stay in Westminster and I am pleased that our service stood out during your visit. It is a fantastic review and we pride ourselves on the hospitality our team extend to our guests, something that is mentioned in a number of our reviews.

I do hope that if you have the opportunity to visit London again we will be your only choice of hotel.

With Best Wishes

There are newer reviews for Conrad London St. James

Reviewed 8 August 2013

This is an impressive hotel - as it ought to be at the price! - with well appointed rooms. My rate was room only, and I thought breakfast far too expensive, so went to a nearby cafe for a take-away coffee and croissant at about one fifth the hotel price. But it is a god location, and if you are interested in upmarket hotels, I think it is a very acceptable offering.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Dear DominicB

Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us in Westminster and I am pleased you found the hotel to be 'impressive'.

For future stays we have a number of different options for breakfast, in Blue Boar Smokehouse we offer a continental breakfast with a selection of hot dishes made to order from the kitchen, in the lounge we offer a hot breakfast offering and finally in the Blue Boar Bar we offer lighter items such as Eggy Bread & maple syrup and Bacon sandwich which is a cheaper alternative to the others meaning there is no reason to leave the hotel.

I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you once again.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

I brought my wife here for our wedding anniversary and she loved it. Situated across the road from St James's Park tube station and within walking distance of Buckingham Palace and Big Ben, this hotel is ideally located if you have the money to splash out on your partner. The concierge and receptionists are very fast, efficient and friendly. The entrance area is large and roomy, afternoon tea is elegantly served in its own area. The rooms are large, and the hotel go the extra distance with the draw down service. The bar is also friendly and the food excellent. Overall, a great hotel albeit costly.
My only gripe is that the breakfast process is not well managed. Having to constantly ask for more orange juice, tea, bread, butter, etc is time consuming. And having two small platters for fruit meant a bit of a queue each morning. This would not deter me from highly recommending the establishment should you be able to afford it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear walshp4

Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us in Westminster and I am pleased that both you, and your wife enjoyed your stay with us and that you enjoyed both Blue Boar Smokehouse and Bar.

I am sorry if you encountered some issues at breakfast we have taken your comments on board and we will be making some improvements and additions to our breakfast buffet in coming weeks and should resolve some of these issues.

I do hope next time you visit London you will visit us once again.

Reviewed 8 August 2013

stayedlast weekend for my 40th Birthday. Arrived at 1200 and room wa already available, size of the room was large wuth a hughe bathroom and all the amenites you coul want. We had heatre tickets booked for the afternoon and when we got back to the hotel i found a bottle of champagne in the room compliments of the managment. Extra touches really impress me. All staff at the hotel were great and the club lounge was a place of peacful calm . Location is right opposie tube so very easy to get to all main sights. Would recommend this hotel all day long.
Cant wait to visit again soon.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends

Dear MarkyB73

Thank you for the fantastic review of your recent stay with us in Westminster and congratulations on your recent birthday, I am pleased our team made sure you could celebrate in style with a bottle of champagne, we have a number of ways to recognise our guests celebrations but what better on such a milestone than bubbles!

It is also great to read that our team looked after you so well during your stay and stood out with their high levels of service.

I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the future.

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Stayed here on expenses recently, as it isn't somewhere I could normally stretch to affording. What a treat it was!

Wonderfully helpful and friendly staff. Clean and beautiful rooms. We had quite a small room, but it was nice to see it had actually been designed to fit the space, so as not to feel cramped. Fancy coffee machine, huge TV, huge shower, great bath. Amazing piece of nerd art in the foyer of the House of Commons as depicted by Star Wars/Marvel/Pixar characters.

My only complaint would be that the mini-bar was extortionate. I have stayed in smaller, cheaper boutique hotels before where the soft drinks and chocolates etc were free (The Hide, Hendon for example), whereas here it was £5 for a mini tub of Pringles. However, I suppose if you can afford to stay here, you can probably afford £5 for some crisps.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear lifeofholly

Thank you for the review of your recent stay in Westminster and I am pleased to read that you were able to enjoy your 'treat' and our team stood out during your visit.

I am sorry if you felt our mini bar was over priced, we do research other hotels and offerings and try to keep our offering as competitive as possible.

Reviewed 5 August 2013

We had a wonderful stay for three nights - July 17-20. Pleasant surprise to check in upon arrival at 10:00 a.m. Beautifully appointed room, top notch bathroom. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. Very convenient to everything. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I have stayed in this hotel several times now and can say that it is my new favourite hotel in London. The location is great and that is just the beginning...

Everything about this hotel has been spot on every visit. The rooms are comfortable and beautifully decorated - I especially love the Molton Brown amenities. The staff are friendly and helpful, the Club Lounge has a nice atmosphere and a nice selection of drinks and snacks.

Also, as a Royal Platinum Ambassador with ICH Group, I found that the hotel truly lives up to the program by making the elite members feel very welcome and very valued (something that is often, sadly, lacking in other hotels in the chain) - well done!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
LONWMHotelMgr, Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2013

Dear LeandaG

As a Royal Ambassador I am delighted to read that after stay with us on a number of occasions you regard us as your favourite hotel in London, this is quite a compliment.

I am pleased you enjoy so many different aspects of your stay in particular the Club Lounge, we very much look forward to welcoming you once again in the near future.