“Wonderful luxury life”

Conrad London St. James
Ranked #50 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed 6 January 2014

It was a wonderful double room with plenty of space. Huge bathroom, amazing service. Even if we stayed there only for couple days it was a great place right next to the center of london and 2 minutes away from the underground station.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
LONWMHotelMgr, Execuitve Assistant to GM at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded 23 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your very nice review. As we are located just in front of the tube station, travel is definitely a breeze. I am particularly happy to know that you liked your room. We are looking forward to have you here again at the InterContinental London Westminster.

Warm regards,

There are newer reviews for Conrad London St. James

Reviewed 4 January 2014

As a platinum ambassador member I use this group because they reward loyalty, and they are very good at what they do. We stayed here on 30th December for one night in two rooms as a family and as always, a brilliant stay. The rooms were amazing, Dave the concierge was as always, totally professional, and in contrast to London Horseguards, they were completely professional. I look forward to staying again and as a regular client, I know I will receive outstanding service.

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade. If they have one available, they will offer it to you!
1  Thank Tony01UK
LONWMHotelMgr, Executive Assistant to General Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2014

Dear Tony,

We are very flattered with your kind words. Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent recent stay at the InterContinental London Westminster. I am very glad to know that your stay went very well. Our loyalty program is indeed one of the best there is, if not the best. Rest assured that your positive comment will be shared to all especially to Dave from Concierge. We look forward to have you here again and continue to impress you with our excellent service.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 4 January 2014

This hotel is well located for not only the tourists but business travellers as well.
Located across the road from the subway makes travel a breeze.
Hotel is only 1 year old and the decor is superb.
As a gold ambassador, we had a deluxe room and a Junior suite.
Both rooms were very comfortable and well appointed.
Now, the bits that need work.
The Club lounge is a waste of money, give it a miss. Canapés tonight was a choice between "Mac and cheese or Left over Turkey". Seriously, that and a few bits of cold meat is your canapés.
Breakfast in the morning in the Club is also uneventful. One waiter who can't remember how you wanted your eggs cooked.
If you're a Gold Ambassador, remind the staff what your benefits are. They will " consult with their supervisors", but soon return and confirm you are right.
All in all a lovely hotel. With a bit of work they could challenge the Mandarin Oriental as truly a first class hotel.

Room Tip: Try to get a high room. Even level 3 is noisy in the morning with traffic and subway noise at night.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Only1stClass
LONWMHotelMgr, Executive Assistant to General Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the InterContinental London Westminster! Indeed the hotel is of great advantage when in comes to location as it is in the heart of Westminster. The tube station in front of us is a big bonus. We have noted the highs and lows of your review and I am particularly disappointed that the Club Lounge did not meet your expectations. I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your feedback with us; it is through comments such as yours that we are able to constantly improve the quality of our service and product. We would love to have you here again.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 3 January 2014

My wife and I spent five days in London over the holidays, and choose the Intercontinental Westminster, primarily due to its central location. That turned out to be "spot on" as many of the major attractions in London are within very easy walking distance. For those that are further afield, we used the "Tube", and found that very convenient ( and economical) especially with the St. James's Park station literally across the street from the hotel. Because the hotel is quite new, everything in the property is in excellent condition, and the room contains some nice modern conveniences ( all kinds of charging stations at the desk workspace, a built in TV in the bedroom and integrated sound in the bathroom). Because of a glitch with our reservation ( our fault, not the hotel's) we were upgraded to an "Executive Room" . Judging by other guests photos, it looks like this was slightly larger than a standard room, with a larger bathroom.
We found the hotel staff to be very friendly and helpful ( kudos to Holly for arranging a room upgrade), but the restaurant staff were another issue. This was primarily the case in the attached Blue Boar pub - one time we ordered the same drink twice and they got it wrong twice. Another time we went in at an off hour to ask about eating there - the bartender went to check on that and then never reappeared! Service in the more upscale Emaline restaurant was better, and in fact we were very pleased that the hostess there was able to accommodate us for their New Years Eve meal, when our verbal reservation from the previous day was not entered into their system.
This is a very nice hotel, and I would definitely recommend it.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2014

My husband and I stayed here for 2 nights in between Christmas and New Year. We found the best thing about this hotel was it's location; it is 50m from the nearest Tube station, St James' Park, within walking distance of the Palace of Westminster, the Eye, Buckingham Place, St James' and Hyde Parks. We got a great deal on line but it did not include breakfast. We enquied how much it would be to add it and were told it was £48 for both of us. Needless to say we didn't bother at that price. There is a pub next door and plenty of food places nearby. The room was lovely and very clean. The bed was very comfortable and big. My husband loved the huge TV and I liked the sumptuous bathroom. We went in the bar and the setting is lovely. The service was a little slow and I could see people getting frustrated at having to wait so long when there seemed to be plenty of bar staff working. The door staff and reception staff were great, very helpful and pleasant.The one down side was a fire alarm that went off at 3:30am. However a note of apology was put under the door as it was a false alarm. I would stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

I was staying 1 night on 23 Dec and I loved it because:-

1. very clean and new. everything in the room is clean. it's just comfortable to stay in the room
2. the bathroom is very spacious
3. the space of living room is fit for couple
4. free WiFi connection
5. excellent customer service, all staff are very helpful and courteous
6. conveniently located. Underground St. Jame's Park station is just round the corner. about 10 minutes walk to world famous hot spots like West Minster Abbey / Big Ben / Buckingham Palace etc
7. excellent breakfast

1  Thank SDGWH
LONWMHotelMgr, Executive Assistant to General Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your comments. Your wonderful feedback gives us an assurance that we are successfully achieving the high standards we set for ourselves. It is much appreciated and it was a pleasure to read about your experience at the InterContinental London Westminster hotel. We are looking forward to have you here with us again.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

I managed to get a fantastic rate via a 3rd party site, knowing this and knowing how hotels are, I knew I would not be getting the best of rooms even at its lowest graded room, and to a certain extent I was correct.

The doorman, although a bit stern initally, greeted me, offered to take bag, etc...so I cant really complain there, plus after i checked in and I went back out and returned he greeted me with a "welcome back", which was nice as I only went to the shops around the corner, lol.

I was checked in by a lovely lady, whom sadly I did not get the name of, she offered to take my bad and escort me to room but there was no need for this.

The room was small (to the point of the foot stool needing to be kept by the door due to lack of space) but perfectly adequate for 2 people traveling light or a few days.

The bathroom was a very good size and personally I prefer this lay out as i detest a pokey bathroom. The view was not that of a courtyard but I was facing another guests window with a gap of say 15 feet between us, so if you are after lots of natural light this room will drive you nuts.

Given what I paid, I was more than happy, less so if I was paying some £250+. The bed was a tad hard for me, but that is not the hotel fault, but the linen (despite the issues which I will address further on) was excellent, the towels are amazing and huge, the bathrobes were a bit hard and uncomfortable, the toiletries were excellent and now looking at where I can purchase some. Everything within the room was excellent and although small it was nice an cosy.

I ordered some room service and like others have said, its so-so. The fish with the fish and chips was very tasty, the chips were mostly inedible, dry and hard, the kids meal was the same in that the fries were hard..not crispy but hard (these are kids remember) the burger was a tad too artisan, and my little man found it all a bit too fussy, he didn't take too kindly to the brioche bread and the very strong cheese, as most kids have a rather simple palate. The puddings were divine though and the room service team that I encountered were exceptional.

having read previous reviews I knew the curtain was electric, however there isn't a little sign to show where this switch is, I called down and the reception told me, but all it would take is a little signage or reception mentioning it upon check in as I can see how this would be very annoying to someone who did not realise the curtains could not be drawn in the usual manner, same goes for the nespresso, I have used a bigger version of this machine and I have a tassimo that works in a similar way so I knew what to do, but not everyone would want to call down and wait for someone to come up and show them so a manual in the room would be helpful, many hotels have this machine and a simple step by step instruction are usually provided. That said the crockery provided is that of the best I have seen to date and thankfully they use Jing Tea rather than the bog standard twinnings.

During my stay there was a fire alarm that was false, not an issue as such as I respect that the hotel must be sure, however we could not get back to sleep until a good few hours later, which in turn made me start my day late, etc..I conveyed this to reception who in turn allowed me a later checkout.

Checkout was quick and and dealt with in the same manner as check in..with warmth and personality.

So why not the full 5 stars? I really am a stickler for customer service and when everyone you encounter is excellent, the ones that are not, stick out like a sore thumb. As I mentioned all the staff I spoke with or met was very personable and made me feel welcome, Petra, and holly were a couple of the names I caught that were lovley, however I did speak to someone called Sarah (i think) and she was very cold, total lack of personality or the warmth that every one else within the hotel had. I had a problem with my sheet in that it was dirty..it was not a stain but dried on nasties that I would rather not go into, she said she would call housekeeping (that took their sweet time) and when the housekeeper arrived her words were "I was told something about something or another with your room" What kind of way is that to address an guest??

it didn't surprise me to be honest as the person that took the message (Sarah) wasn't particularly interested or engaging, so what more could I expect. Anyhoo, I showed the housekeeper the nasties and she tried to say it was just a stain, as if I should even accept stained sheets from a new 5* hotel, I wouldn't accept in at a Holiday inn express, so certainly not from here, anyway she removed the sheet, roughly made the bed and went. I would also like to add, I was not offered a turn down service at any point.

But for Sheetgate and the cold lady on the phone, it would have been an easy 5/5 (despite no turn-down) This hotel is lovely, very high tech and modern, with some lovely staff, and would recommend this to anyone wanting that bit of luxury (even in the classic room) but for me personally it was not a perfect stay, almost, but not quite, therefore I can't give a perfect score, but for the right rate, I will certainly be back!

1  Thank hoxtonbabe
LONWMHotelMgr, Executive Assistant to General Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded 3 March 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your very detailed review about your previous stay at the InterContinental London Westminster. We welcome all feedback as an opportunity to improve our quality of service and standards, please accept our apologies that in this instance some issues have marred your stay. We take all feedbacks seriously and I have passed this on to the concerned departments. We hope that we will have the opportunity to restore your faith with us on your next visit.

Kind regards,