“Good place to start a vacation”

Conrad London St. James
Ranked #48 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Rockville, Maryland
“Good place to start a vacation”
Reviewed 20 June 2014

Excellent location especially if you haven't been to London before as it's right in the heart of lots of attractions! The restaurant is good especially for breakfast and the bar is very relaxed and friendly. Only two concerns: our room was very noisy from traffic outside (in the morning I realized the window was a little open which caused the truck noise). The bathroom floors are an accident waiitng to happen--very slippery. Other than that I'd stay again

1 Thank petersox
LONWMHotelMgr, Executive Assistant to GM at Conrad London St. James, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the InterContinental London Westminster hotel on your recent trip to London and for taking the time in posting your review. Indeed the location is just perfect for both business and leisure guests. We apologise if you were allocated in a room where you can hear roadside noise as we truly understand how important a good night's rest is. Please contact me directly on your next visit and I will make sure you will be allocated on a more secluded room and will make sure you will have a comfortable stay. Looking forward to your return.

Best regards,
Executive Assistant to GM

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (419)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed for four nights at the Intercontinental Westminster, having booked a Club room online. On arrival I was offered the opportunity to upgrade to a suite (at my own expense), an offer I accepted. Unfortunately there was miscommunication between myself and the receptionist as to the rate I would be charged (this is a matter I will take up directly with the hotel).
The suite was excellent and given that I was unwell and stayed in most of the time, I was pleased to have the additional space. The lounge-dining area was comfortably furnished and quite an asset, given that I had most meals by room service.
I cannot commend the staff sufficiently. They had the uncanny ability to almost anticipate my needs and wishes.
When I did go out for a walk I found I was in close proximity to much that London has to offer - The Abbey, Westminster Palace and so forth.
I can strongly recommend this hotel, but make sure you settle the real tariff before you accept it.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
LONWMHotelMgr, Executive Assistant to General Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Dear Guest,

We are always most pleased to read great feedback regarding exemplary customer service, especially as we pride ourselves in delivering the high standards we are renowned for. Thank you very much for staying at the InterContinental London Westminster and for not only appreciating us but also in putting your fantastic feedback into writing. We apologise if there has been a miscommunication on the rate. Please do let me know if there is anything I can assist you about your rate query by emailing me at icwestminster.info@ihg.com. We all look forward to your return.

Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 18 June 2014

I had booked three nights of accommodation via lastminute.com and that usually means one can expect an unusual room. This time, I was offered to be ‘upgraded’ to an accessible room (can accommodate customers who have disabilities; doorways are widened to fit wheelchairs, higher toilets, grab bars in the shower, more space in the bathroom, etc.) which was fine except there was no bathtub. The room and especially the bathroom were very spacious and really well equipped. Nespresso coffee maker with nice selection of coffee pods, quality bottled water , lovely bed, top class bedding and towels, etc. was all top quality and the floor where I slept was very quiet.

Unfortunately my room was on the inside of the building so one was looking through a relatively small window onto another wall.

I had breakfast one morning in the main restaurant, which is dark, and without any natural light. This might be nice for an intimate dinner in a grill room but not what I appreciate for a breakfast atmosphere. My suggestion would be to have a la carte style breakfast in the Blue Boar Bar area instead and enjoy the view onto the street through the large windows.

Strangely, there was no rye bread available for breakfast and, toothpicks could also not be made available in any of the restaurants or the bar.

During my stay I wanted to watch the US Open golfing major and some of the major Football World Cup games but I was unable to retrieve these important sporting events on the TV. My favorite news channel Al Jazeera was also not available. I checked the ‘for free’ channels and the premium channels.

The staff was generally friendly and helpful. The chambermaid Lindsey from France and the doorman Grant from Scotland stood out in the respect.

Staying at this hotel in Westminster is quite nice in that one is away from the maddening tourist crowd and during the weekend the area is quiet because it is mainly an office area. A walk down to Big Ben, Westminster Abbey or to the beautiful parks in the neighbourhood, takes less than five minutes.

In general I found the layout and ‘feel’ of this contemporary and rather new hotel to be claustrophobic and ‘constraining’ i.e. almost zero natural light, narrow passages, no garden, etc.

Considering the price I paid via lastminute.com, the hotel still offered very good value for money and the overall quality of the hotel helped me to have another great time in London

Room Tip: Request corner room/street view.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the InterContinental London Wesmtinster and for sending us your thorough review. We have noted the highs and lows - particularly the lows. It is always very helpful to know where improvements can be made. The hotel is located next to high rise office buildings and we have limited view. We do have breakfast available in the bar and you are more than welcome to enjoy it there while enjoying the street view. Although if breakfast is included in your room rate, this is served in the main restaurant. Please accept our apologies if your breakfast experience was not a positive one and if your favourite news channel is not in the channel listing. All the issues you have addressed will be highlighted to the team and will be dealt accordingly and we are truly sorry for all the inconvenience we have caused. We hope you will give us another opportunity to regain your full trust in us. Please email me at icwestminster.info@ihg.com on your next visit and I will make you will have a seamless stay.

Best regards,
Tulsa, Oklahoma
Reviewed 18 June 2014

Room was very nice and modern and was a decent size for London hotel. It is in a terrific location and was close to a lot of the places you would want to see. Staff was very professional and attentive. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
LONWMHotelMgr, Executive Assistant to General Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind comments following your recent stay with us. The doors are always open for you when you next visit London. Once again, many thanks for staying at the InterContinental London Westminster hotel.

All the best,
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2014

We had to overnight in London on our way back home after a two week cruise. We opted to come into London rather than stay at the airport as we felt we would have sometime to take in the sights.

Firstly a warning to all about getting from Heathrow to the city. We had no choice but to take a cab (due to amount of luggage). Unfortunately the city has opted to do road work on the weekends on the main highway from Heathrow to the city ...the result a long ride and very expensive (approximately 90 pounds - trip back was more like 75 pounds) - so factor that in. Also ask if your driver takes credit card - they all don't!!!

So we arrived and were greeted by the amazing doorman. Within 10 minutes he had us settled in and with directions on some key things (like a bank and restaurant to go to). We were provided with an amazing tourist map (I know they don't issue it but it is one of the best I have seen - and we travel a lot).

The place is centrally located to a number of attractions. Westminster Abby is a block down the road, the New Scotland Yard next door and Buckingham Palace is a 10 minute walk through the park.

We had breakfast in the hotel restaurant but opted to go to a local pub for dinner (when in Britain..) Breakfast was tasty and good. Service again was amazing.

The hotel is contemporary in nature (so don't expect ornate word work and gold leafing). Rooms are modern and fresh. Lighting in the rooms can be set to your hearts content with a number of options. The little extras of chocolates, fresh water, fruit and a welcome letter were nice (I am a gold member so these might be member perks but they are still very nice).

Again I would go back to this hotel. Is it pricey - yes however not in comparison to other hotels of similar placement. In fact the last time I stayed in London the hotel was a similar value, half the size and ten times older (and was evident by the wear and tear on the furniture & bedding).

The staff are fantastic and can't do enough to help you. They arranged our departure with a cab and had it ready to go for us with directions before we even came down. Really wish we could have stayed an extra day (or two) but unfortunately all vacations must come to an end.

Room Tip: We had a room that faces in however I don't think there is much of " view" to street...
1 Thank HappyTravellerYVR
LONWMHotelMgr, Executive Assistant to General Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Guest,

You made a fabulous decision in opting to stay for a day in London and we could not be happier that you chose to stay at the InterContinental London Westminster hotel. We are pleased to know that we have contributed to your memorable 24 hour stay in London. Furthermore, your high praises to the team left everyone very motivated in achieving even more the high standards that we are renowned for. Please do come and stay with us again in the near future and I am sure your stay will be just as great as the last one.

Warm regards,
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Room lay out was very efficient, good size considering it is a London hotel. While amenities were very good (Molton Brown), the hotel did not appear to cater to the business traveler too well. Business center was small and, perhaps common among most hotels these days, lacked business supplies in room (stationery and envelopes are still useful and having them in the room would be appreciated). One other inconvenience - London hotels typically do not have outlets for hair dryers in the bathroom. But one expects to at least have a useful mirror somewhere within the vicinity of an outlet. Not so here, making one's grooming a little awkward. The staff were, however, very friendly and quite helpful. Great tips from the gentlemen manning the concierge desk. Also, location is a huge bonus. Westminster Abbey, Central Hall, Big Ben, St. James's Park - all within hailing distance. Regent St. and shopping just a leisurely 15 minute stroll away through St. James's Park - made for a lovely afternoon.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
LONWMHotelMgr, Executive Assistant to GM at Conrad London St. James, responded to this review, 18 June 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your kind comments following your recent stay with us. I am glad that you appreciate the courtesy and efficiency of our staff and that you enjoyed the very convenient location of the hotel. We do have available range of stationery in our Business Centre and all bedrooms are supplied with stationery and it is kept in the drawer of the working table. Should you require more, please let any member of the team know and we will gladly refill. As for the mirror, we also have whole body mirror we can deliver to your room if needed. On your next visit please call help desk or any member of staff for anything that you need and we will do our best to provide. We hope to welcome you again here at the InterContinental London Westminster on your next visit to London.

New York
Reviewed 17 June 2014

in a terrific location-when finished my business meetings was able to walk to West End to see show-with plenty of places on the way to eat or have a drink
Room is really very well engineered and put together, staff very helpful.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

I must agree that the hotel's location is exceptional; a stone's throw to St James tube station, walking distance to most of London's famous attractions, museums and theatres. I am glad that you enjoyed your room. Thank you for staying at the InterContinental London Westminster and we hope to have you again.