“5 star service”

Conrad London St. James
Ranked #51 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We loved our 3 night stay here, the interior was beautiful and elegant, and rooms were spacious enough to fit our american expectations. Location couldn't have been better, the IC is close to many attractions on foot, with even more available via tube. The Blue Boar was nice, but for me food wasn't memorable enough to comment on.

This Intercontinental really shines when it comes to service. Checking in was easy and pleasant, and concierge always went above and beyond to get us where we needed to go for the day. They gave us directions, recommendations, even a car rental. The staff here seemed to care about our experience and it made all the difference!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Melissa M
LONWMHotelMgr, Executive Assistant to General Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded 1 July 2014

Dear Melissa,

Thank you very much for choosing the InterContinental London Westminster hotel on your recent trip to London. This is great feedback and much appreciated. It was encouraging to see that you appreciated the professional services provided by all team. They are a great asset to our Hotel and your wonderfully written comments will be shared to all. We just launched our new menu and hopefully on your next visit you get to try it and all our other F&B offerings. We would love to have for another stay next time and I am sure your experience will be just as great as this time.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for a long weekend (20-22nd June) and have to say the whole experience was exceptionally good. Train to Victoria, one tube stop to St James and 1 minute walk to hotel.

Room upgrade, service quick and efficient , room quality clean and well designed. Even for my wife with hair dryer and mirror in the right place.

Would recommend for location too. Five minutes and your close to Trafalgar Square and The Houses of Parliament.

Also unlike the Crown Plaza, you can't hear the underground rumbling past at night or early morning.

A great place and will be back again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lifeintheoffice
LONWMHotelMgr, Executive Assistant to General Manaher at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for trusting us and for choosing to stay at the InterContinental London Westminster! As you have mentioned, the hotel enjoys a superb location, adjacent to many of London’s must-see sights and activities, yet tucked away in a quiet corner for a peaceful and relaxing stay. We are all pleased that you enjoyed the comforts of your room. Thank you for writing this lovely feedback. Looking forward to have you here again.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

We chose here for the last 5 nights of a big holiday. It is an Intercontinental and generally provides all that comes with the name. It is a fine building internally (not too exciting externally), excellently located and has usual bar and dining choices. But (compared to Paris and Davos,for example, it just does not sing from a staffing perspective. No particular area seems lacking, but general co-ordination is lacking (eg being asked the same question multiple times in the restaurant ).

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ItchFeet58Australia
LONWMHotelMgr, Executive Assistant to General Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the InterContinental London Westminster on your recent trip to London. Each InterContinental property has its own unique design and atmosphere. It's a shame that the hotel's style is not to your taste. I am genuinely sorry that this is the feeling you take away with you. We have also noted your feedback about the staffing, rest assured that this is taken seriously and we have taken this on board. We hope to welcome you once again as I'm sure that we can and should do so much better than this.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Lovely hotel with great amenities. They have a nespresso machine in the room and for someone who loves their coffee this is basically heaven! I took my girlfriend for her 21st birthday and was made most welcome throughout the stay by all staff - even given an upgrade, to which I am very grateful for. However... in the morning at around 7/7.30 we was woken up by the cleaner trying to get into our room; luckily we had the chain on. This is something which can absolutely ruin your weekend away. It may be a simple mistake from a cleaner but when you go away to enjoy yourself the last thing you want is someone trying to get in to your room really early when you want to lay in. Having to then ring down to reception to ask for our breakfast to be brought up early because we had been woken up, the receptionist didn't understand my request or complaint and it unfortunately wasn't handled well - I was told it was my fault that I didn't put a DND sign on the door. Passing the buck on to a customer is something you shouldn't do! This is absolutely not my fault. If this was 10am I would've been understanding. I understand this is a series of unfortunate events, however this is a 5* hotel in London and things like this shouldn't be an issue. I was sent an email after my stay apologising but it came across like they were doing it because they had to not because they wanted to. I replied to this message telling them that I was blamed for this occurrence to which I didn't receive a reply. I'm trying to help their service not get something for free; a simple "Thanks, we'll pass this on to our management team" would've resolved this issue. Not hard.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Ross,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review on your stay last year at the InterContinental London Westminster. Whilst I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and amenities, I couldn't help but get disappointed about the inconvenience we caused on the unintentional disturbance in your room. In addition, I sincerely apologise if you feel that we have not handled your concern well. We do hope that you will give us another chance to rebuild your trust by visiting us once again when there is an opportunity. Please contact me directly on your next visit and I will make sure that you will have a seamless stay. Looking forward to your return.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Excellent location especially if you haven't been to London before as it's right in the heart of lots of attractions! The restaurant is good especially for breakfast and the bar is very relaxed and friendly. Only two concerns: our room was very noisy from traffic outside (in the morning I realized the window was a little open which caused the truck noise). The bathroom floors are an accident waiitng to happen--very slippery. Other than that I'd stay again

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank petersox
LONWMHotelMgr, Executive Assistant to GM at Conrad London St. James, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the InterContinental London Westminster hotel on your recent trip to London and for taking the time in posting your review. Indeed the location is just perfect for both business and leisure guests. We apologise if you were allocated in a room where you can hear roadside noise as we truly understand how important a good night's rest is. Please contact me directly on your next visit and I will make sure you will be allocated on a more secluded room and will make sure you will have a comfortable stay. Looking forward to your return.

Best regards,

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I stayed for four nights at the Intercontinental Westminster, having booked a Club room online. On arrival I was offered the opportunity to upgrade to a suite (at my own expense), an offer I accepted. Unfortunately there was miscommunication between myself and the receptionist as to the rate I would be charged (this is a matter I will take up directly with the hotel).
The suite was excellent and given that I was unwell and stayed in most of the time, I was pleased to have the additional space. The lounge-dining area was comfortably furnished and quite an asset, given that I had most meals by room service.
I cannot commend the staff sufficiently. They had the uncanny ability to almost anticipate my needs and wishes.
When I did go out for a walk I found I was in close proximity to much that London has to offer - The Abbey, Westminster Palace and so forth.
I can strongly recommend this hotel, but make sure you settle the real tariff before you accept it.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

We are always most pleased to read great feedback regarding exemplary customer service, especially as we pride ourselves in delivering the high standards we are renowned for. Thank you very much for staying at the InterContinental London Westminster and for not only appreciating us but also in putting your fantastic feedback into writing. We apologise if there has been a miscommunication on the rate. Please do let me know if there is anything I can assist you about your rate query by emailing me at icwestminster.info@ihg.com. We all look forward to your return.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

I had booked three nights of accommodation via lastminute.com and that usually means one can expect an unusual room. This time, I was offered to be ‘upgraded’ to an accessible room (can accommodate customers who have disabilities; doorways are widened to fit wheelchairs, higher toilets, grab bars in the shower, more space in the bathroom, etc.) which was fine except there was no bathtub. The room and especially the bathroom were very spacious and really well equipped. Nespresso coffee maker with nice selection of coffee pods, quality bottled water , lovely bed, top class bedding and towels, etc. was all top quality and the floor where I slept was very quiet.

Unfortunately my room was on the inside of the building so one was looking through a relatively small window onto another wall.

I had breakfast one morning in the main restaurant, which is dark, and without any natural light. This might be nice for an intimate dinner in a grill room but not what I appreciate for a breakfast atmosphere. My suggestion would be to have a la carte style breakfast in the Blue Boar Bar area instead and enjoy the view onto the street through the large windows.

Strangely, there was no rye bread available for breakfast and, toothpicks could also not be made available in any of the restaurants or the bar.

During my stay I wanted to watch the US Open golfing major and some of the major Football World Cup games but I was unable to retrieve these important sporting events on the TV. My favorite news channel Al Jazeera was also not available. I checked the ‘for free’ channels and the premium channels.

The staff was generally friendly and helpful. The chambermaid Lindsey from France and the doorman Grant from Scotland stood out in the respect.

Staying at this hotel in Westminster is quite nice in that one is away from the maddening tourist crowd and during the weekend the area is quiet because it is mainly an office area. A walk down to Big Ben, Westminster Abbey or to the beautiful parks in the neighbourhood, takes less than five minutes.

In general I found the layout and ‘feel’ of this contemporary and rather new hotel to be claustrophobic and ‘constraining’ i.e. almost zero natural light, narrow passages, no garden, etc.

Considering the price I paid via lastminute.com, the hotel still offered very good value for money and the overall quality of the hotel helped me to have another great time in London

Room Tip: Request corner room/street view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying at the InterContinental London Wesmtinster and for sending us your thorough review. We have noted the highs and lows - particularly the lows. It is always very helpful to know where improvements can be made. The hotel is located next to high rise office buildings and we have limited view. We do have breakfast available in the bar and you are more than welcome to enjoy it there while enjoying the street view. Although if breakfast is included in your room rate, this is served in the main restaurant. Please accept our apologies if your breakfast experience was not a positive one and if your favourite news channel is not in the channel listing. All the issues you have addressed will be highlighted to the team and will be dealt accordingly and we are truly sorry for all the inconvenience we have caused. We hope you will give us another opportunity to regain your full trust in us. Please email me at icwestminster.info@ihg.com on your next visit and I will make you will have a seamless stay.

Best regards,