“Great hotel in the middle of everything”

Conrad London St. James
Ranked #46 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great hotel in the middle of everything”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 August 2014

The hotel is a a typical European hotel. Rooms are small, but bathrooms are great. And the staff is awesome. Grant at the front door is the best host. Concierge is very accomadating. Would definitely come back.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank CasaPete

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Orange, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

My husband and I arrived in London at 6 am from Australia - we made our way to The Intercontinental Westminster and as expected our room was not available until later in the day. However the very efficient and kind staff made it possible for us to use shower and toilet facilities to freshen up after a very long flight. We were then able to sight-see for the rest of the day until settling down in very clean and hugely comfortable room with great facilities. We stayed for four days and after discovering the restaurant we dined there each night enjoying amazing food experiences. We travelled in a hire car for a few days and returned to London again staying with the Intercontinental Westminster to be given an upgraded room which was so very comfortable and just a little larger than the first one. Thank you for that consideration. European hotel rooms are very small generally. This Hotel is in the most accessible part of the city within walking distance to all the attractions, just around the corner from Buckingham Palace. We enjoyed a lot of walking around the city and returning to the comforts of this lovely hotel we called home. It is in a quiet location - a bonus for us and across the road to the Underground another bonus. We then hired a car a second time and travelled in the Cotswolds returning to another Hotel in London (more expensive and more stars) but were so very disappointed as it was not as welcoming and had a different atmosphere to that of Intercontinental Westminster. We are still living on the memory of the dining room. Thank you all for a GREAT stay while in London. We stayed in June 2014. So sorry to hear there will be a name change . . . hope that is all that changes.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Highgrove123
Nottingham UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2014

We (my husband & I) stayed at the Intercontinenal Westminster last Sunday night, checking in at around 10.00, the check in area was quiet and the staff were cheerful and very pleasant.
We left our luggage with them while we went out sightseeing as our room wasn't ready, we had been promised a phone call when the room was ready but this never happened, we returned after 6pm and reception was very busy, we had asked for a high floor and were given a room on the 6th floor. Our luggage had already been delivered to the room.The rooms are small ( it is London) but well laid out with a large, modern and beautifully clean bathroom which had a bathand a separate large glass shower cubicle. The shower was wonderful with a large rain shower head plus a smaller normal shower alongside it so you could choose which you liked to use.The bed was large and comfortable with a flat screen tv built into the large black glass wall at he end of the bed, there was a nespresso machine with a small selection of coffee capsules for our use, this was a nice touch. The hotel were aware we were celebrating my birthday and our anniversary and there was a lovely dessert in the room for us to share with Happy Birthday written in chocolate on the plate.
We unfortunately did not get a chance to eat in the hotel as we were out and about so much but the menu looked good and was reasonably priced.
We enjoyed our stay there very much and found it a very easy walk from there to the London Eye, Big Ben and all the tourist attractions in the Westminster area, it is also literally across the road from the underground station.
This hotel will change to a Conrad by Hilton on 31st August but I am told by the staff that everything will remain as it is now and only the name will change, i hope so as it is a great hotel.

Room Tip: we asked for a high floor and this is what we got, it was completely quiet.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mistybo
China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014

spent a week in this hotel for London vacation

-- very convenient location, walking distance to two nearby attractions, a stone's away from the tube station -- very easy to travel

-- good quality of hotel -- as expected for the standard from InterContinental

-- a bit small for room, sporting facility, etc.

-- fewer street activities -- shops, restaurants

-- a bit pricy

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Luton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014

I stayed at the hotel with my best friend as a belated birthday gift to ourselves.
We got to London early and asked if the hotel could store our bags for us, although the room wasn't available they performed the check in so that there was ease when we returned in the afternoon. We started with afternoon tea which was simply perfect it was a summer themed champagne afternoon tea and I could not pick a fault. I'm not sure what his name was (quite tall, in his 30's) but the waiter was great! Whilst we were having afternoon tea I popped to reception and completed the check in process. The receptionist offered to take me to the room to show me how everything worked but I declined, she said that if we wanted any assistance later then just to give her a call. Our bags were already in our room.
Once afternoon tea was over (lots and lots of food!!), we made our way to the room to check it out and also to get ready for our dinner reservation in a few hours (at the hotel).
Bathrooms are spacious as are the bedrooms, very clean!
When we went down for dinner we were greeted and taken to our table, we ordered and the wine began to flow. The food was lovely, we ordered the ribs to share as understandably we weren't quite at the hungry stage yet. By the time the steaks came we were ready. The only niggle that I had with dinner was once the restaurant began to get busy the waiting staff became slightly less attentive, when the meal was finished they took the plates and asked if we would like to see the dessert menu, we declined (yet again understandably). I had to ask if we could have some more of our wine as the bucket had been put a way away from the table and from what I could see when it was being poured there was quite a lot left, the waitress did look shocked that it hadn't been topped up in a while.
After dinner we went on a walk to some bars around the London eye.

All in all this hotel was perfect for the occasion.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed for three days at the Hotel and had use of the club floor with the wonderful staff such as Amelia, Chloey and George.
The food within the club is significantly better than previously and the staff go above and beyond to welcome you and make you feel at home.
We stayed on the second floor and traffic noise is significant with very poor air conditioning in the rooms in the 240's.
THE NEXT SECTION IS A SAFETY WARNING TO GUESTS WISHING TO STAY AT THIS HOTEL
On the night prior to leaving, really in the early hours of the morning (0100) the fire alarm acted and the automated system directed all persons to evacuate the Hotel.
As a firefighter my wife and I immediately evacuated the room and picked up a number of people on the way shepherding them through the emergency exits to street level at the side of the building.
The response by staff was at best pathetic and at best mediocre and could best be described as keystone cops although to be fair at least the keystone cops turned up with equipment.
After a considerable period of time in the side street without any response from Hotel Staff we were eventually met by a flustered "security manager" who had no idea what was going on, had no vest, no emergency response folder and was attempting to use a radio to communicate with other personnel who did not respond to his radio calls.
The Hotel emergency procedures were not understood by staff, the fire alarm was not transmitted to London Fire Brigade for response by proper firefighters in the event that there had been a fire.
We were informed by another member of staff that the fire alarm has been rigged so that when it alarms Hotel Staff have a certain period of time to get to the alarm panel to silence the alarm before it goes into evacuation mode and also so that the fire brigade are not called and therefore save the Hotel from being charged for a brigade response. No wonder Conrad is taking over this amateur affair.
Anyway after being told that it was an emergency and that there was nothing to worry about we were informed that we should go back to our rooms.
When questioning the manager as to the cause of the fire alarm he was unsure and yet said that we should go back to the room.
On the way back to the room we encountered a young hotel employee looking lost in the stairwell again with no vest, no response plan and absent a radio who advised us that even though it was an emergency and that the fire alarm had gone off that we should go back to our room.
This young man was honest though and also stated that the fire detection system in the Hotel is configured to delay the initiation of audible alarms to give Hotel staff time to get to the fire panel to reset the sector where the alarm comes from. Seriously !!!!!
My wife and I (in the absence of any Hotel staff) assisted a number of disoriented guests back to their rooms and then essentially did not sleep all night.
If this is the standard of fire and safety in this Hotel then Justin and the Conrad team can't get here soon enough.
I tried to raise the issue with the day shift manager however after four attempts including attending the club floor to press for them to have the manager call i was still left waiting.
This Hotel has some very good staff however most of the staff on the evening have no real idea of what is enquired in an emergency and if I was you I would stay elsewhere as in an emergency involving fire you are essentially on your own.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
15 Thank 373RESQ
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Conrad London St. James, responded to this review, 5 September 2014
Dear 373RESQ,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. I am very disappointed to hear about your experience on your recent stay. I would love the opportunity to regain your faith and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional details regarding your stay.

Thank you for your time and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.

John O
Case Manager
IHGCare
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

I was determined to stay at this hotel before it became a Conrad and an event in London gave me the excuse to do so.

I checked in very early - I only wanted to drop my bag off but they had a room available - great service. The room definitely had the wow factor - I was in a Club King room and it and the bathroom were massive. The view was pretty awful - it was of an outside staircase but at least it meant the room was quiet.

I had access to the Club lounge which was pleasant, if not the biggest I have seen. The breakfast was good, the evening snacks and wine was also good - although I am not sure I would call bolognaise with rice a canapé!

I was not particularly happy with check out when I brought up an issue - the lady just said oh well we will soon be a Conrad hotel. However apart from that incident, all was very good with my stay and I am sorry to see it become a Hilton property.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled solo