“sadly easy to miss... a delight to those who find it”
Review of Green Pea

Green Pea
Ranked #50 of 22,808 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Greenwich
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“sadly easy to miss... a delight to those who find it”
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

about me:
i work away mon-sat living in hotels, b&bs ect. What I look for is a home from home environment with good standards.

I found the green pea though trip advisor and then went looking for my evening meal. The green pea is run out of hardys pub a sort of side add on so is easy to miss.

the hospitality is warm welcoming and reminds you of a classic style pub. theres a piano in the corner for people to play. (on tues it was very entertaining) plenty of chess and other old school pub games... no darts or pool here.

the layout is a mishmash of armchairs and small tables packed tight but some how doesnt feel overcrowded.

the food is cooked to order fresh and tastes divine. a twist on good home cooking with the bar set a little higher. the pies are in my opinion one of the best I've ever tasted ( and ive had a few in my time).

The price is more than reasonable. ... in fact I would go as to say the owner (tom) is under charging customers. at the time of writing this a pie with veg and potatoes was £8.50.

the portion sizes are epic. the plates are large rectangular and the pie size fills a quarter of the plate. you are always ask if you have enough veg and chip by the staff or owner, which sadly is an old dying custom in modern pubs.

conclusion:
if your looking for a good well cooked meal with out any of the microwave dings. this is the place. This is unfortunately the type of pub that is dying out due to fast food pubs. I would gladly recommend this to anyone I meet.

Stockport, UK
“Not just any old pub food...”
Reviewed 12 January 2014 via mobile

We found this on Trip Advisor when visiting the National Maritime Museum. Almost walked past it, just looks like it is part of a pretty ordinary pub. Glad we took heed of the TA reviews and went in, to a fab personal welcome from Tom. You felt like you had walked into a small bar in the middle of nowhere in Ireland. The menu is so small that Tom can recite it, but that tells me everything is fresh and home made. Boiled ham and mash is very Irish and unique flavours. Fish pie like no other tasted thanks to the secret ingredient. Only 10 mins from the museum and observatory but well worth the walk. Prices are £4-5 cheaper than Greenwich itself. Highly recommended.

Bethersden, United Kingdom
“Is there a better host in the business?”
Reviewed 30 December 2013

This is not a normal review of the Green Pea restaurant (although I have eaten there twice and I can vouch for its excellence) but, I hope, shows the quality of service you can expect there. We live in Kent and were one of the families affected by the extended power outages over Xmas this year. So, with no means of cooking a dinner, we decamped (with turkey) to our son's house in SE10. Unfortunately, we had no time to prepare a veggie option for our vegetarian daughter. Our son said "I'll call Tom at the Green Pea and see if he has anything" (this was on Xmas Day). Tom kindly donated a delicious vegetarian meal and refused to accept any payment. What a great guy. Visit soon and experience fabulous food and unrivalled service.

• Visited December 2013
4 Thank Cliff H
“Complete and memorable dining experience”
Reviewed 12 December 2013

I am a regular customer of The Green Pea. I have lost count of the number of times I have visited and I recommend it wholeheartedly to friends and colleagues. Chef and proprietor Tom is a legend and makes the food, which is already superb, taste even better. I urge anyone to try The Green Pea. It is an easy venue to walk past and not be aware of the wonders that lurk on the other side of the entrance. I have never been disappointed with any of the meals on offer, which are presented in a unique verbal menu with a distinct Irish charm and wit. All the pies are to die for, the lamb shank does indeed fall off the bone. I can't comment on any of the desserts as I'm always too full from the mega-sized main courses and proper Irish Guinness to attempt any of them. The chips are proper home cooked chips, the cottage pie is not what you would expect and all the vegetarian dishes are beautiful. Words really can't describe how good this place is and how privileged I feel to have discovered it. Long may it continue! You must go!!! Oh - and it's even better that you can BYOB. Try Theatre of Wine across the road. What a terrific little corner of East Greenwich this is with Zaibatsu and L'Artisan on the doorstep. Bravi tutti!

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank bedfordwest
Crawford, Nebraska
“Superb food and service”
Reviewed 11 December 2013

I could not be happier with the food and service provided by Tom, who made me feel as welcome as if we were old friends. Every meal was excellent, and served promptly with good conversation.

Visited September 2013