“Great For Families!”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
East Sussex, United Kingdom
“Great For Families!”
Reviewed 1 January 2014

I went there between Christmas and New Year for a family lunch. There were 11 of us ranging from 3 months to 70 years old. This pub is one of the most child friendly I have been in and was perfect for our family get together. The main menu was a nice mixture of pub grub and slightly more adventurous dishes and there was a separate menu for the children. The service was fast and efficient although the pub was not particularly busy at the time we were there. We were accommodated on one large table and with several kinds of real ale for the beer drinkers (like myself!) lunch was just how family lunches in a pub should be....

1 Thank BobTheWasp

London, United Kingdom
“A nice Streatham brunch”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

I have been to the Manor Arms a couple of times both before and after the new management. My most recent experience was for a brunch, where I ordered a Full English breakfast and it was very tasty with perfect poached eggs. It wasn't as busy as I have seen it in the evenings but the staff were friendly and attentive so I would go back for brunch again.

“Breakfast at its best”
Reviewed 29 December 2013

Les thank you for a wonderful breakfast this morning.
We've been coming to The Manor Arms for about a yr now and we thought we'd try the breakfast for the first time... We're just upset that it took us so long to try breakfast here. It was wonderful.

As always Les and the staff were very friendly and attentive.

See you next week for more of the same. Thanks

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Used to be Good!!”
Reviewed 23 December 2013

We went there last week hoping for a Christmas menu which was advertised on the website as "Christmas Throughout December". When we arrived we were informed that the Christmas menu is available on Christmas Eve only. The Honey Grazed Ham we ordered was so thin, more like a tiny piece of bacon, don't think it's worth the money. The dessert we had was crumble and the base was as hard as stone. We had some better meals there but the last visit was not impressive at all.

1 Thank J0W_L0nd0n
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“3.5 Spots (good food, nice setting, OK service, good wine)”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

So living in West London, I was cynical about coming to Streatham to my sister on my birthday to find out there was a pub near their place which served 'quite good food'. Dogs are also welcome and seeing as I was dog sitting, this was a must. It looks like a typical geezer pub from the outside but once you've stepped through the doors, the outside is deceiving.

The DECOR is dominated by dark wooden interiors, an open kitchen where the cooks busily - but quietly - toil away cooking up orders and a roughly cross shaped interior with a 'separate' room to the top of the cross which has softer furnishings inside. The feel is modern in that it has clean lines and plain without being austere. It's cosier than just being functional.

The WINE menu was surprisingly good - my sister chose a £17 merlot which was soft and accompanied the varied courses which we ordered next. Of course there are bottles of white wine and some sparkling including prosecco and champagne.

The FOOD is not what we intended to order. We were told that during this busy time of year (aka Xmas parties) that a lot of the menu had changed (read: we do not write this menu every day). The menu is a little confused as you read through it though. There are sharer boards, starters, mains, salads and pizzas. Each are separate areas. The sharer boards are themed and in so doing they try to be all things to all people, seafood, mezze etc. The STARTERS are more focused with a clearer nod towards gastropub food with rabbit, pork terrines, home-cured smoked salmon, black pudding bubble and squeak and soup of the day. Our starters arrived, the TERRINE was replaced with a CHICKEN LIVER PATE which was smooth, deep in flavour and accompanied with some thin baguette toast rounds and a pear chutney. All pretty tasty stuff. The BLACK PUDDING BUBBLE & SQUEAK though just did not work. From a distance is looks like an eggs benedicte as there is a poached egg (over poached) covered in a sharp hollandaise sauce. Underneath lay a small 'fish cake-shaped' bubble and squeak peppered with black pudding. You could not taste the black pudding because of the egg and hollandaise. I thought this starter was not well described and they would be better off losing the hollandaise or adding crumbled pan-fried black pudding instead. Nice creative idea which just does not pay off in the end.

Our MAINS were stronger. The selection however was notable dented vs what was on the menu. My preferred SLOW COOKED LAMB SHOULDER was off the menu, as was the PIE OF THE DAY (whatever it was) and the HADDOCK AND CHIPS was replaced with COD. I opted for the CORN FED CHICKEN BREAST with POLENTA CHIPS AND COURGETTE CHORIZO RAGU. I replaced the polenta chips with green beans. My sister has the HOUSE BURGER with BLUE CHEESE. These were better courses than the starters. My chicken was well cooked and well presented. The ragu has a deep smoky but not overwhelming flavour which went well with the chicken. My sister's burger was huge but notably medium to well done.

We didn't have desert.

Would I come here again? It's a local. If I find myself in Streatham again then yes I probably would. Am I inclined to travel across from West London to Streatham to eat here again? In that case no. There's lots of placed in London which serve food like this. I can't fault some of their ambition and the food was well executed but just not worth travelling for passed restaurants equally good.

SERVICE was OK but two separate people came to ask us our order about four times in 15 minutes which made me think they wanted us out of there or something. It wasn't busy either so I didn't think they were trying to get us ahead of a much bigger table. It was reasonably busy but not packed.