“Do they have a new chef that doesn't know how to cook meat???”

Billy's Baked Potato Steak & Grillhouse
Price range: US$0 - US$39
Cuisines: American, British, Grill
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighbourhood: South Kensington
Sydney, Australia
“Do they have a new chef that doesn't know how to cook meat???”
Reviewed 20 August 2014

Came here expecting a great tasting meat feast, left feeling ill and wishing we had gone elsewhere. My partner ordered fish & chips which they were advertising on a board at the front of the restaurant, stating they had the best. The fish was clearly frozen and quickly recooked because parts of the fish were still frozen! The rest was watery and awful (see pic). It looks great when it arrives, tastes terrible though. The chips were fine, but nothing to rave about.

It should be noted that on the same day there were several people ordering the fish & chips at other tables, yet none of them were happy and everyone left most of their fish behind.

I ordered the lamb shank and the meat was tough, overcooked and generally pretty bad. The sauce is piled on over the lamb in an effort to hide the tough meat (see pic). The sauce isn't very nice either, especially for a restaurant calling themselves a "grill & steak house"!! The sauce is very salty and bland. The vegetables on the side of the lamb were lovely, but then again they are just steamed so not too hard to get right. The presentation of the plate is terrible - looks like someone threw up that sauce all over the meat and potato. Looks unappetising and tastes as it appears.

• Visited August 2014

• Korean first
London
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not good at all”
Reviewed 17 August 2014 via mobile

Sat down at a table for two and found ourselves brushing elbows with our neighbours. The service was quick despite it being busy which was nice though.

We ordered chicken, a burger, and ribs. Chicken was average, dripping with BBQ sauce but soft enough. The burger was good, but the ribs were really tough and tasteless.
They were hard to cut even with the sharp knife and I could only eat a little bit. When asked if there was something wrong I mentioned how tough they were but all I got was an "Oh.." which reduced my opinion of their service.

Overall I wouldn't recommend it.

1 Thank Findeen
Dallas, Texas
“Wow - great meal!”
Reviewed 15 August 2014

We were a little hesitant to eat at Billy's, as it does not look like a nice restaurant just in passing. But we wanted to eat dinner & get back to our hotel after a long day of sightseeing, so we stopped at Billy's. What a fantastic dinner we had! I had a mixed plate of bar-b-que spare ribs, roasted chicken, & 3 prawns. I had not tasted the peri peri chicken since we had been in London, so our waiter was so nice & brought me a small bowl of the sauce to taste before I ordered, as she was afraid it would be too spicy for me. It was very hot & spicy! So I ordered my chicken plain, & the sweet waiter brought me a fresh bowl of the sauce so I could dip my chicken in & get just the amount I wanted. So tasty! And the ribs & prawns were very good also. My husband had the leg of lamb, which was the special that evening. He said it was as good as any lamb he's ever eaten! We had a delicious, wonderful dining experience, helped by our very nice, sweet waiter!

Visited August 2014
“Very disappointed”
Reviewed 7 August 2014

The ribs were really tough, could barely cut them apart. Burgers are made with bread crumbs, a real surprise in a meat specialist.

• Visited August 2014
Tel Aviv, Israel
“Great neighborhood place”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Loved the fish and chips. We also had ribs which were delicious. The place seemed to be full all the time - a good sign. It's right next to South Kensingston Underground Station - great neighborhhod spot.

Visited August 2014