“Celebrity Chefs for the Masses”

Bread Street Kitchen
Reserve with OpenTable
Bread Street Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #692 of 22,373 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, After-hours, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighbourhood: City of London
Surrey, United Kingdom
“Celebrity Chefs for the Masses”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 July 2014

A group of 4 friends went on a Friday night and we all had fabulous meals served by friendly staff in the cool, well lit Bread Street Kitchen. Two of us had chicken wings to start, which sounds dull, but were amazing. Admittedly the portions are huge and those of us that had them shared with the other 2, one who had soup and said it was delicious and the other who had salmon, who liked it, but it looked tiny compared to our wings. The chicken wings were fat and crispy and coated in a mouthwatering sauce, served prettily (as prettily as you can with finger food!) on neat rectangle plates and weren't absolutely drowing in salad or other 'green stuff'.
The mains were equally delicious - 2 of us had duck and 2 had lamb - and the portions were quite big. The duck was melt in the mouth scrumptious. It comes medium rare, so ask if you like it cooked more or less. I usually find duck to be overcooked, but not at BSK. It was almost perfect! It comes with a potato, which was nice but as is usually the case with quite big potatoes, could have had a few minutes more in the oven. The dish was accompanied by a cabbage puree which was awful, but I hate cabbages - it did give a nice colour to the plate though.
Two of our party had chocolate desserts which looked amazing - and indeed, our friends declared they were.
We had a great time; the atmosphere is quite relaxed and the several staff who served us didn't seem overly bothered that we took ages to order - 4 ladies who hadn't met for 3 months always take forever to decide - but we went on the Friday of the World Cup quarter finals (they had the football on on a tv in the bar downstairs which was a nice touch), so it was fairly quiet, which was lovely, but you're quite packed in if the restaurant is full as the tables are very close.
In all, with a bottle and a carafe of wine and 2 soft drinks, the bill came to about £60 per head, which is pretty good value in the City, but you can't help but think it's celebrity chefs for the masses.

• Visited July 2014
3 Thank Temer2

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Big, city restaurant, worth a visit.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

Second visit after leaving it a while. It is still pretty good, tasty food. The place is huge and cavernous but done well. The prices are high and the cover charge which wasn't on last time, though I remember them charging for water is a bit ridiculous. Full of city types. No complaints. Plenty of good competition for places like this around.

• Visited June 2014
“Looks better than it is....”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

This looks incredible from the outside - modern, hip and cool. On arriving upstairs we had to ask for water a couple of times, they'd was a delay in our order arriving etc. The food was enjoyable but nothing memorable or particularly innovative. It was expensive for what it is. Would not go back.

1 Thank Emma N
London, United Kingdom
“Sort of what you expect.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Hey, it's not top end Ramsay, but neither is Plane Food. It's a good brasserie type restaurant with pretty good service too.

The food is good and I'll be going back as it's good value (for Ramsay and the City) too.

London, United Kingdom
“Disappointing”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

I decided to visit Bread having been there twice before. It was disappointing as I expected the standard of food to be higher and the cover charge - what's that about! My meal was in partly good - the lobster - great but the steak seemed of poor quality? My mate ordered a mixed grill. She received a plate of different meats which was as she described tuff and it did not even come with a garnish - let alone a bit of salad or chips. For dessert I ordered the banana toffee pudding and that appeared dry and not looking too good so I returned it. The staff agreed with my perception and did apologise and offered me my coffee on the house. The bill was just under £100 with no alcohol and the standard of food was not good enough. It was disappointing as this was a celebration and as I have visited this restaurant on 2 other occasions and found the food was good it was a bit of a let down. You don't mind paying if the food is good. What's happened? I will not be visiting again.