“My second stay”

King William IV Hotel & Bar
Ranked #316 of 566 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I reviewed this place in Oct, 2011. It was just as good a stay this time as last, although I was on the top (fourth) floor and there are no lift, so prepare for a small workout at the end of the day if you are that high up (was on the second floor the first stay). It did offer a fair view over London from that floor, looking west into the city. Major landmarks (Olympic site, the Shard) were quite visible if you know what to look for.

I'm posting again simply to update my last review. There is no longer the excellent breakfast available (at least not on this stay) but there is a small restaurant across the street that offers a range of solid breakfast choices for a good price and is worth stopping at to kick the day off.

As of this writing, I am already scheduled to visit London again and this will be my first choice of where to stay. Off the beaten track sure, but well worth it in my experiences so far.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo

Reviewed 12 July 2012

We stayed here for two nights because it was so cheap. I think they are really underselling themselves. The manager (who lives there) and his bar staff were so friendly and accomodating. I turned up on crutches and they immediately went out of their way to upgrade our room to ensure we were on a lower level (no lifts). The room was bright, large and very comfortable. It was facing the high road and was a little noisy, but nothing ear plugs can't fix! The pub itself is large and relaxing, with a great selection of cheap beers and ales from their on-sight micro brewery.
The pub is only a 15-20 min easy busy ride to the main Olympic village and Westfield shopping center Statford. Walthamstow/Leyton is a very mixed area with a fantastic selection of food and boutique stores. They are also improving many sidewalks and buildings for the Olympics.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank jacqui_m86
Reviewed 2 July 2012

rooms are sparse, but comfy. Staff very friendly and helpful. yummy IPA's brewed on site.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Stayed here with my friend the night after working a vintage fair in the city, initially booked because it was cheap, and so glad I did!
We turned up a bit late and decided to have a few drinks. Ended up making friends and trying out their brewed drinks - there's some good stuff on that list!
Have to admit the room wasn't fantastic but it was a big room and the beds were comfortable.
It was ensuite too.
Had it been double-glazed windows in the room (which was directly above the road) we may have been better off, it was loud with traffic noise, so I would suggest taking earplugs if you're a light sleeper.
Nethertheless, I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for one not above the road, on a higher floor, and if this isn't available, take earplugs. I...
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank KerryClear
Reviewed 4 May 2012

Visited this pub to sample the huge range of Brodie's real ales which are brewed on the premises. I plan to stay at this pub in the near future, having recently visited for a few drinks and a meal. Whereas many London pubs have a soleless metropolitan feel, here is a unique and very special East London traditional boozer that happens to offer affordable guest rooms.

The pub has an excellent value, varied menu with quality fare. I had some very tasty, lean cumberland sausages with properly made mashed potato, peas and gravy costing only around £5.

The pub has the feel of a large local yet is comfortably furnished, yet tourists and visitors are made to feel valued and welcomed.

Looking forward to staying soon. Give it a try, you won't regret it!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Andrewms14
Reviewed 7 March 2012

I cannot fault the King William, it is a great East London brewery pub that has not yet been taken over by the Hackney / Dalston crowd. Clean, frugal food and accommodation. Has around 12-15 of its own beers on tap, at £2 per pint. An old man pub you simply won't want to leave....

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Matteo B
Reviewed 22 November 2011

We booked our room here based on rate. After reading reviews of other places in the same price range, we were surprised to find that this one was very nice to stay in.

Our first room was at the very top of the building, furthest away from the Pub. We couldn't hear a thing but blessed silence which allowed us the rest we needed to avoid jetlag from traveling. The bed was comfy and we had a loo ensuite.

Though the shower stall was tiny, compared to US standards, the water was pleasantly HOT and had good pressure. They offered a small tv with remote and wifi.

Unfortunately, being so high up and away from the wifi signal, we were unable to surf the web as much as we liked in this room.

We found the short bus ride into Walthamstow and tube ride to be wonderfully easy and stress-free, as opposed to driving the rental we had. Easy access to anything you want in Central London.

We felt so comfortable here that we decided a week later, when we decided to ditch the rental and use the Tube, to come back and hoped they had a room for us. Unfortunately, they only had room for the single night which we took.

This time, we had room 1 on the 1st floor (please note: In the UK, the bottom level is Ground and the others 1st, 2nd, and so forth). Our room faced the main street and directly into the street light.

However, the room was HUGE and the shower head more convinient for me to use. This room could actually accomodate 3 persons as it had a queen and a twin bed in it. The wifi worked wonderfully as we had full signal in this room. I'm sure it is closer to the modem.

Our only issue with the room this time was the streetlight. Although there window coverings, it does not sufficiently blocked out enough room light. We just put our heads facing the other way and it helped immensely. The sounds from below as the store vendors started to set up early was a bit annoying, but I would still stay here again.

As for everything where you need it... For breakfast, across the street, you have Baker's Arm. A wonderful little cafe where you can sit in or take away. They serve greek foods and Full English Breakfast, complete with Black Pudding. Next door is a Tescos, think a smaller version of Target or Walmart. Next door to the hotel, is the Fish Fry which is great for dinner on a budget. What more could you want all within 20 yards of each other?

Room Tip: Make sure none of the reviews have a mention of bed bugs. This one DID NOT!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Brandi F
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
Bennys B and B
Earls Court
The Paramount Hotel
The Paramount Hotel
#198 of 566 in London

Been to King William IV Hotel & Bar? Share your experiences!