“Day Light Robbery..literally”

Ranked #254 of 556 London B&B and Inns
Whitley Bay, United Kingdom
“Day Light Robbery..literally”
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We turned up to find the free parking was actually on the street and had you had to be off the parking space by 8.am, we checked in and the guy behind the bar was pleasant...not like the punters s my partner sneezed unexpectantly...of course he covered his mouth only to have explenatives from a man whom didn't even have the nerve to look me in the face when I asked what his problem is...not a nice area at all, felt quite unsafe. Got to our room and there were no curtains, just a see through office vertical blind with slats missing, and the noise from the street was as if I was on the street, there was no food on, which was one of the reasons I chose it along with the parking, we had to stack the spare beds and mattresses against the window to black it out...We did ask for some curtains and the member of staff didn't bother doing anything so saw the manager...whom just retorted "what did we expect for the price..well for £55 I would have expected curtains at least in the so called Luxury rooms. One good point was that it was very clean. Then to top it off upon my return home I have found that they have taken and extra £50 from my account for the privilege of using my initiative in order to get a good nights sleep. Keep well away as this seems to have happened before after reading the reviews on here..... no hospitality skills whatsoever.....

Room Tip: Don't go
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Ramstein, Germany
Reviewed 23 April 2013

Recently spent a week at the King William. If you're looking for luxury accommodations, this is not the place. But if you're looking for an affordable and clean place with a wonderful staff, you won't be disappointed here! Geoff and Emma-Jane were fabulous hosts and the amazing Brodie's Beers featured at the pub were an added bonus. The room was clean and comfortable, and although a bit outside of London, we found it very easy to get around on public transportation. There are plenty of affordable places to eat nearby, and the breakfast across the street at the Bakers Arms was delicious! You might think staying above a pub could get noisy, but it was never an issue. And the food at the pub was excellent and affordable. Overall, I would highly recommend a stay at the King William!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank jvlv17
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We had arrived in London to a serviced apartment that we had booked in Leyton, and when we arrived it was way below standard, so at 10pm on a Saturday night the first place we found was King William IV Hotel and Bar. We were welcomed by Jeff the owner and he was more than accommodating with our situation, we were offered a large double room, TV, en-suite, and one of the most comfortable beds ever!!! At a fantastic price!!

I can't say enough good things about this bar, we couldn't hear any noise from the bar itself, it was so clean and very well kept. Good internet wifi also.

I would recommend this place to anyone and everyone!!! 11 out of 10!!

Room Tip: Room 8 on the top level, lots of stairs but worth it for the size!
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank SES406
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed 10 January 2013

We stayed in this hotel 2 nights. The hotel is a family owned pension on the top of a pub.

The rooms are normal, quite clean but nothing special. The toilet is very small but at least they give towels and shampoo.
There is Thea and coffee available but they seams not to have been changed for years...the boiler was quite dirty. The room was facing the main street and was very noisy..during the day and during the night is the same....
Do not expect daily cleaning.
If your leave the room before 11 a.m. you have to leave the key in a box because the "reception" is the pub and, if it is closed, there's nobody.
The pub downstairs is nice and you can eat for few pounds.

The position is bad if you want to see London...it's 15 minutes by bus to the metro station and then 30 minutes from the center of London by metro.

Leyton is not really a nice place to visit.

I would like to underline that I payed with credit card and someone cloned it stealing 600 euros from my account buying online an huge coffee machine of nespresso....I don't want to say that the people of the pub-hotel did it but it happens the same night I payed the rooms...mmhhhh...

Better to pay cash...just in case...

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank BabsHeich
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I'd heard a lot about this pub and it's lovely Brodies beers but didn't know they had letting rooms, when I found out, I just had to stay. I booked a double bed en-suite room on-line and as we arrived way before the check-in time, the friendly bar staff allowed us to leave our bags behind the bar whilst we went out to explore the local area.

When we got back from our wanderings we had a friend in tow who we'd bumped into in Stratford. He had intended to travel back to North London by night bus but when my partner and I finally checked in to the "King Billy" our double bedded room turned out to contain 4 single beds instead of the romantic double we'd booked.

As the price was for the room and not per person, our friend didn't have to try and work out a bus route back to North London, probably best as well as we'd had a few beers.

The room was at the front and had very thin blinds which didn't cut out much of the street lighting right outside the window. The beds were well worn but they were clean as was the room. Part of the building had sheeted scaffolding all over it which did mean a rather interesting sailing-ship sound could be heard through the night as the wind blew through the sheeting.

All things taken into account, this is a basic, cheap hotel in a less than salubrious part of London but it is friendly and clean. If you are looking for a romantic night in the capital, maybe not the right place but if you're looking for a place to flop down with your mates after a long day on the beer, it's a fantastic place.

Room Tip: The rear of the hotel overlooks the small brewery and yard and so probably has less light pollution...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank headmixer
Grafton, Australia
Reviewed 21 August 2012

When we turned up, we expected the worst from this accommodation. It had been cheap, and the area didn't seem the safest or cleanest. But our outlook changed when we entered the pub and met the lovely staff! They showed us through the upstairs area, and our rooms were very quiet, clean and very spacious. The view of London out the windows was also unexpected. We had some trouble with the drain in the shower being blocked, but as we had 3 rooms between us, we just used a different shower.
The parking was the only negative, and this wasn't the fault of the hotel. There was street parking only, and luckily for us the times for free parking coincided with our plans. But there is no parking available during the week. New regulations in the area mean that only residents can park there during the day. So be aware if you're travelling with your vehicle.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank JacUlmarra
Brandon, Manitoba
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I reviewed this place in Oct, 2011. It was just as good a stay this time as last, although I was on the top (fourth) floor and there are no lift, so prepare for a small workout at the end of the day if you are that high up (was on the second floor the first stay). It did offer a fair view over London from that floor, looking west into the city. Major landmarks (Olympic site, the Shard) were quite visible if you know what to look for.

I'm posting again simply to update my last review. There is no longer the excellent breakfast available (at least not on this stay) but there is a small restaurant across the street that offers a range of solid breakfast choices for a good price and is worth stopping at to kick the day off.

As of this writing, I am already scheduled to visit London again and this will be my first choice of where to stay. Off the beaten track sure, but well worth it in my experiences so far.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near London
The William IV
East End / East London
Russell House
Russell House
#86 of 556 in London

Been to King William IV Hotel & Bar? Share your experiences!