“good food spoilt by dessert.”
Review of One Blenheim Terrace - CLOSED

One Blenheim Terrace
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
“good food spoilt by dessert.”
Reviewed 6 February 2014

One Blenheim Terrace had been recommended to me several times by various friends, so thought i would check it out. Unfortunately i was disappointed. The restaurant itself is nice.. although it could use a bit of an update (chipped paint, old fixtures). The food was well priced and the menu had a good selection. The starters (prawns and whitebait) and main ( ravioli and lamb) were very good. However, when we asked for the dessert menu - we were told that the only dessert available that night were the crepes. my boyfriend had the nutella and strawberry crepe, i asked for the chocolate and banana crepe. when it came, my crepe was very dry with barely any filling and unmelted, cold chocolate. We politely pointed this out to the waiter who immediately took offence, offered no apology and no resolution to the situation. We said it wasn't a problem. a second waiter came over and apologised, saying that he would take the dessert off the bill. Our primary waiter stormed off and very loudly complained that he didn't understand what was wrong with it. He ranted repeatedly for a good 5 mins. This made us very uncomfortable - to the point where we just wanted to leave. I found this highly unprofessional and rude, when we had endeavoured to be polite. I definitely wouldn't return to this restaurant - a shame it didn't live up to its good name.

• Visited February 2014

London
“Good food but................”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I received an email offering "40% discount at OBT for lunch or dinner form Tuesday to Saturday so I booked lunch for a girl friend and myself. there were only two other tables of diners.

To my shock I was charged and paid before I noticed this, £20 each for two courses costing from the A La Carte menu, £35.50 for the two of us plus water and two teas another £20. the bill for a soup and a small croquette and two raviolis, 2 teas and a bottle of water came to £60.75 with no discount added.

I will not be going back !

• Visited January 2014
London, England, United Kingdom
“dinner”
Reviewed 20 December 2013

went there on amazon voucher for ten course tasting menu
booked 6 weeks in advance an a week before we where due to come for dinner got strange phone call checking when we want to come
on arrival we where given table the food start coming we ordered bottle of wine which didn't arrive have to ask again been promised ice bucket for the wine same again didn't come have to ask again sitting on top of empty plates for 20-25 minutes till we got up and asked one of the staff if they could take them!!
we sat in conservatory where the service was poor
but the inside of the restaurant didn't seem to have the same problem they were served by a very nice gentlemen with glasses.
so seem we where unfortunate because of the table they gave as!!

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank Renata H
London, United Kingdom
“Good but not great”
Reviewed 18 December 2013

We had an enjoyable but unremarkable dinner here. Had we not been using a voucher, I would have felt the meal was overpriced. We ate from the tasting menu and while some of the dishes were impressive (notably the veal ravioli), others ranged from the unexciting (the leek and potato soup was nice but I can make that myself!) to the downright disappointing (if you are going to serve pieces of raw vegetable with a dip, at least go with something more interesting than carrot, cauliflower and broccoli). The service was polite but opportunities to enhance the dining experience were missed: why was port not suggested when the cheese was served, and why was tea/coffee offered only when we asked for the bill rather than when chocolates were served? It took far too long for that bill to arrive, and this never makes for a positive end to the evening. Finally, as other reviews here have noted, the place could do with some investment to spruce it up. No amount of high quality toiletries can disguise a bathroom that is faded and shabby. This could be a top quality establishment but based on this visit it falls short on all fronts.

• Visited December 2013
Finchley, North London, England
“A restaurant still seeking an identity”
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

We have been to this restaurant twice before on an offer for their tasting menu which was delicious.The first time we looked at their a la carte menu and my husband found little to attract him, the second time in August we saw they had changed their menu and it was on the strength of that we booked to eat there without an offer.
Again they had changed the menu.This time there was plenty for my husband to chose from, although he was disappointed that the menu did not reflect the items we had tasted on the offer menu.
It they have chosen to go for a more English menu but with a little twist. For example the veal escalope Milanese had a ravioli with veal ragout on the top instead of spaghetti on the side and the whole roast chicken between two had a foie gras stuffing.
There were some unusual starters like steak tartare but the essential menu was a little too slanted towards pancakes and ice cream dishes.
the food tasted good , the main course portions big which made up for the tiny portions of ice cream which were served as a dessert in itself ...£3 for two tiny balls of ice cream.
The service was good,the wine list a bit pricey but they did not push a second bottle.
The restaurant has an outside terrace which must be nice on a warm summers evening.
I just feel that with the chopping and changing of menus it is trying to find its niche in this very expensive area of London.

Visited November 2013