“Terrible "hotel"”

and 1 more site!
37 Collingham Place London
Ranked #980 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 26 February 2014 via mobile

I stayed there too nights with family. Room (especially) bathroom was dirty! Bed was uncomfortable and after first night my back was hurting. Place should be hostel not hotel. There isn't elevator and stairs are high and narrow. It was difficult to carry luggage up! The only good thing at this "hotel" was the place where it is situated. But at same area is several other hotels. Choose this area but another hotel!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Traveller81K

Reviewed 11 January 2014

We arrived at this hotel and the employees took a few min to arrive. We checked in and were given a room at the top floor (level 5). I wish we would have known that we could call before to let them know to allow us to stay on lower floors. And it wasn't a penthouse and there are no lifts. Given it was a room for 5 people, we all had a bunch of luggage so you can imagine the great workout we got carrying 50 lbs of luggage without any help from the staff. Once we arrived into the room, we realized it was pretty dirty, the refrigerator was broken, and nails were scattered through the doors/walls, which ripped some of our clothes. The springs on the beds did not work well. I hurt my back pretty bad. I was in Europe for 2 weeks and this was one of the worse hotels that I stayed at while away.

Room Tip: Tell them you want a room closest to the first floor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Estelle_Colunga
Reviewed 11 January 2014

Stayed at this "hotel" hostel spot with my family during the holidays in December of last year. Check-in was pretty smooth, however when we arrived there was nobody at the front counter (according to their description online, they have someone available 24 hours). Anyway, after about 5 minutes an employee ran in to check us in. We were charged a 5% surcharge for paying with card which is unfortunately not mentioned online at the time of booking.

Anyway, there is no elevator here so good luck getting your 50lbs+ bags up to the top floor. The employee bragged that they offered good rates and that we should have called in advance for a room closer to ground level, but after reading the comments on those rooms I'm kind of glad we had to go up to the top floor (aka ghetto penthouse).

The beds were uncomfortable, the shower head in the bathroom was broken, the mini-fridge was broken, there were definitely bed bugs here, and there were random nails sticking out of the doors that ripped some of our clothes and scarfs, etc. Glad we only stayed here two nights. Wouldn't stay here again and would never recommend this spot to anyone.

Room Tip: Apparently you have to call in advance to get a room on the lower floors. I recommend not even stayi...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank dmtgato
Reviewed 8 January 2014

My recent stay at Collingham Place was wonderful - the staff were very friendly and extremely helpful, my room was spacious, light, fully equipped with all necessities and clean - which was very refreshing considering the state of London's budget hotel accommodation. I also liked handmade blankets which gave the room a "home away from home" feel. I was especially struck by the kindness and generosity of the staff and the experience restored my faith in the humanity of people. I would definitely recommend Collingham Place to all who are weary of "get what you pay for" in the London budget hotel business.

Room Tip: For the best experience choose en suite rooms.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Mya M
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Stayed at this hotel in July for six nights with my family. The only positive thing about the hotel is the location. It is a three-minute walk from Earl’s Court underground station so the location is perfect.

Arrived at the hotel in the evening. After checking in I had to pay the full amount up front before we could get the room key. No problem and I wanted to pay by credit card. The clerk at the reception told me if I pay by credit card then he will charge me a 5% surcharge, and asked if I can rather pay by cash. The hotel advertised that they accept credit cards and when I made the booking it stated I could pay by credit card and there was nothing about surcharges when paying by credit card. I mentioned this to the gentleman and he just shrugged his shoulders. Who today travels with lots of cash? Please advertise that guests will be charged a surcharge when paying by credit card. This is much more honest.

The lobby is tiny and you have to squeeze past people. There is no elevator and the stairs are a danger as they are carpeted, slippery and not very wide for the foot. The clerk told us our room was on the 2nd floor. In fact it was on the fourth floor and we had to go up and down with all the luggage. Not an easy task.

The rooms are very basic. Beds are very uncomfortable and not sure when the last time they changed the mattresses. Looked like about twenty years ago. We had six single beds, and the one bed was a thin mattress on two half mattress stands so when you lay down the stands kept sliding apart and you landed up sleeping on the floor as the mattress would fall on the floor. Bathroom is tiny and only place for one person. No place to hold toiletries. Toilet flushed all the time. The bathroom had to tiny bars od soap but no soap stand in shower. Shower head kept falling off so you had to hold it on with your hand. Not very practical when showering with one hand. First night window would not close. Had to go all the way downstairs to ask the clerk to help. He came up and took about ten minutes to close the window. There are no cupboards in room so had to live out of suitcases. There was a tiny little cupboard that was useless as it had to shelves or rod for hanging clothes. Useful thought to store a suitcase.

Next morning we noticed a nicer room on the second floor was empty and asked to moved. Was told no as it was reserved and after much discussion we were allowed to change to the other room. This room actually had a cupboard but no hangars. Had to ask the same clerk for hangars which seemed like I had asked a difficult request. Finally got some metal hangars. In this room the window was propped open on a wooden stand and could not move it for the entire week. The noise in the main road was incredible. All the windows had blinds, which were totally broken so we could not darken the room. This woke us all up early in the morning with sunshine streaming in and the noise of traffic.

It was so hot in London that week and the room was like a sauna. Two beds were in the attic, which seemed cool for my kids but the temperature up there was even hotter and not pleasant for young kids. Mattresses are on floor. All beds are very uncomfortable. The rooms and hotel are in need of major repair and renovation.

The room has a large fridge, which was much cleaner and better than the small fridge in the first room at the top of the hotel. Room came with a small kitchenette but no basic items like crockery and cutlery. There is a supermarket just around the corner, which was convenient. The hotel is suitable for maximum two nights stay but not longer especially with small children.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank HappymanLuzern
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the hotel just for one night(hopefully)...it is cheap but the room was in a bad condition...bed are very uncomfortable and furnitures in general are in a bad condition..
If you want a cheap room for just one night in London it's ok otherwise choose something else...
If y

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Giotalek
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Very cheap room. Dirty with low security. We were very disappointed with our room. Although the staff tried to accommodate us by offering a different room, we forfeited our payment and found another hotel.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family