“Charged for a room we were unable to stay in”

Mercure London Kensington
Ranked #641 of 1,081 Hotels in London
Reviewed 3 June 2014

I booked to stay in the Mercure, Kensington for one night over a weekend. Having used Mercure previously both in the UK and through Europe, I had trust in their brand and had always experienced good quality hotels and customer service.

We arrived within the stated check in time, but quite late on in the evening at about 11pm (we had seen a show, had dinner etc). Upon arrival, we were told that our pre-booked and pre-paid for room was unavailable, due to flooding. Obviously this kind of incident can't be helped, so I had asked what alternative rooms were available. Unfortunately there were no other rooms, and the receptionist advised that we would have to move to the Mercure hotel in Paddington, where a complimentary coffee would be waiting for us.

Ignoring that fact that a complimentary Espresso at midnight was not exactly the ideal blow softener, I asked if there was a hotel nearer to Kensington - a location that we'd specifically chosen. I was told there was not, without further explanation. At this point I grew suspicious of the 'flood' story and asked to see the room - I was told this was not possible. To me it was clear that Mercure had taken the paid booking, seen that we had not arrived and checked in, assumed that we would not turn up, and then sold our room to somebody else. I relayed my suspicion to the receptionist, who proceeded to point me to an A3 page of terms and conditions and book me a taxi to Paddington - complimentary of course! At this point I simply asked for a refund - after all we were not getting the room that we had paid and booked for, and I certinaly did not want to stay anywhere near a Mercure hotel that evening. I was told this was not possible, and again pointed towards the terms and conditions. To me, paying for something and not receiving it gives you the right to request your money back.

I laid out my complaint to Mercure in email form, but never received a response from them - further adding to my frustration.

All in all, the entire experience was a demonstration in deplorable customer service from beginning to end. I would never stay with Mercure hotels again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Patrick L
Write a ReviewReviews (1,610)

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Great hotel, perfect location near Earl's Court underground station. Right in Kensington. Ideally located for sightseeing/shopping. Georgina and Jekaterina at the front desk are two outstanding, service oriented staff. They made our day! They made sure we could check in early (although hotel was fully booked), and tried their best to arrange 3 rooms for us. We were travelling as a group of 6 and had a long trip behind us. All we wanted to do was check in and go to our rooms to freshen up. The excellent service provided, together with their positive, friendly attitude made for a great stay at the Mercure Kensington. Compliments and thanks a lot. We very much appreciated all your efforts! Thanks again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with more space. Generally, rooms are small.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Linforth, Duty Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Alex_Sc525,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay.

Our staff are grateful for the positive comments and look forward to welcoming you back on many future occasions.

Reviewed 2 June 2014

Spent a lovely night in this 4star hotel. A few mins walk to the tube with sainsburys on the way. The room was small but the beds were really comfy. Free soft drinks in the mini fridge, free bathroom condiments and the bath robes were fab lol.
Friendly staff and very helpfull. Great location and would stay here again.

Room Tip: We had a room on the top floor, double glazed so traffic noise was muted.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Mr. BabsLimerick_Ireland,

Many thanks for your review on our hotel.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay and found ou r location convenient.

We look forward to welcoming you back on many future occasions.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 1 June 2014

After vein told that the Parkcity Kensington Hotel was closed even though we had a confirmed reservation we had to scramble to find another hotel. The Mercure Hotel was just down the street.
The Manager Raquel couldn't have been nicer. She was sympathetic and found us great room there with a great price.
The hotel was spotless, the beds great and they even had free soft drinks in the rooms mini refrigerator.
We were so lucky to have found this hotel and would return in a minute.
The coffee bar was great too. The girl very friendly and the croissants awesome.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Mer47,

Many thanks for your great review, I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It was a pleasure to help you on that awful situation. I will share your comments with my colleagues as it is an inspiration for all of us to continue to provide the excellent service we done so far.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 30 May 2014

An excellent, well situated, moderately priced hotel in Kensington close to many attractions.
Staff most welcoming, and we were in fact given an upgrade, on arrival.
Room very comfortable. Adequate breakfast and meals.
No complaints at all.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TallTrees19

Dear TallTrees19,

We are grateful for your positive comments and look forward to welcoming you back on many future occasions.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Good accessible location. I wish folks were friendlier. Nice clean rooms. Comfortable bed for a good night's sleep. Adequate breakfast enough. Nothing to complain about but nothing to rave about. Just OK

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank JEmmanuelLasPinas
Linforth, Duty Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear JEmmanuelLas Pinas,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Your comments regarding our staff come as a surprise since most of our guests compliment us on our friendliness and helpfulness.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies as our aim is always to help in any time our guest’s and take your review to improve our staff in that matter so that will not in the future.

I hope you will not judge us solely on this experience and will be inclined to use our hotel again.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 19 May 2014

Quite satified with the hotel. Good breakfasts.
Staff had little options to assit guests during a failure of the air conditioning over the weekend extending to Tuesday morning. The top floor rooms on the Cromwell Road side of the building became very hot and stuffy, with the windows unable to be opened due to the double glazing option the hotel has selected. I was lucky enough to get moved to the other side of the hotel where windows di open, many did not.
On checkout though, breakfast charges were waived, and internet connection to was offered, but I already had that for free anyway.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Chamdar
Linforth, General Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 23 May 2014

Dear Chamdar,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

Please accept our apologies for the inconvenience caused by lack of air conditioning. This issue has now been rectified and the necessary steps have been taken to prevent future occurrence.

I hope you will not judge us solely on this unfortunate experience and we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back next time you are in London.

Georgiana Pusnava