“Good hotel, but room service food horrible ”

Mercure London Kensington
Ranked #639 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 23 June 2014 via mobile

I'm happy with the hotel room and it's great to have complimentary soft drinks! But for close on £200 a night I expected better food!

I ordered a chicken burger, expected a actual chicken breast burger, I got some reformed deep fried from frozen and shaped to resemble a fillet instead.

Best thing was the fried chips, can't go wrong with those usually.

Happy with the hotel, i was upgraded to a double from a single room, next to a lift. But it didn't bother me thankfully.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Linforth, Duty Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Nizmonet,

Thank you for taking time to tell us about your stay with us.

Some of your comments come as surprise since most of our guests praise us for the freshness of our ingredients. I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Your comments will be taken on board and we will ensure other guests are not similarly inconvenienced in the future.

I hope you not judge us for that matter only on this experience and that you will be inclined to use our hotel in the future.

Kindest regards,

Duty Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,585)

Reviewed 20 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Hubby and I stayed here for four nights from 27 May on our first visit to London. After reading reviews here prior to booking, we went ahead and booked a Privilege Room (108). We were really happy with the room. It's not as large as other hotel rooms we have stayed in, but there was plenty of space to store luggage, move around and not feel closed in.

The bathroom was okay and included all the necessities. Even though it was a little small, we had no problems with the space and everything was clean, water pressure was great and enough bench space for toiletries.

The room was on the first floor overlooking Lexham Gardens. We were a bit concerned when we saw ear plugs supplied and worried about the noise. But we never needed them - had no traffic noise or anything else. Bed was comfortable and had great sleep.

The guys at reception were great and really helpful, and the lounge staff were friendly. The location felt very safe, and was easy walking to Earls Court and plenty of shops and restuarants.

Yes - the lift is very slow, but we either used the stairs or just waited. We're on holidays - no hurry or reason to stress because there was an extra few minutes waiting for a lift.

Overall would definately stay here again and recommend. Not sure just how small the other rooms are, but we found the Privilege Room perfect for our needs and recommend these rooms.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Philjulie

Dear Philjulie,

Thank you so much for your great review.

I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We always do our outmost to ensure our guests experience memorable stays.

I will share your comments with my colleagues who I am positive will be delighted to see that you are happy.

Hope to see you very soon.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Elevator to our floor not working; forgot to give us the requested wakeup call; express breakfast wait person more or less incompetent; vastly overpriced for what we got; practice of requiring 30 pound deposit upon arriving irritating.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Mercure Hotels
1  Thank John H

Dear John H.,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure London Kensington, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure London Kensington and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Disappointed that there wasn't a single smoking room in this hotel. I know most people don't want them but for people who do smoke it would be nice. Very expensive for what it was but rooms were nice.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Linforth, Duty Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Coronalaura,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay with us. We are a non-smoking hotel, although we do have an assigned area outside at the front of the hotel which may be used for smoking. We appreciate that there are guests who still prefer to smoke in their bedrooms but another consideration for our decision was based on fire safety.

Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and we look forward to welcoming you again.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 8 June 2014

Great value for the location (one of the cheapest in kensington) although the quality was not compromised. Although we booked a twin room and got a double bed which they were unable to change however the receptionist was very apologetic. The breakfast was delicious and provided pancakes, cereal, fruits and a full English! Would recommend this hotel

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Linforth, Duty Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Sinead M.,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Mercure London Kensington. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed 6 June 2014

Tried to get a twin room here when the one we were booked into was dreadful (read Tara Copthorne.). The Mercure website and their central reservation system was saying they had a twin room for 2 nights so I walked down to have a look at the room. The guy on reception said they only had a twin room for the one night. After a very confusing 3 way conversation between their central reservation, the receptionist and me I gave up. The explanation was that the Mercure Kensington was a 'franchise' hotel and I could not book rooms through the main Mercure online website or central reservation although I clearly could! Bizarre.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank avidtraveller57

Dear Avidtraveller57,

Thank you for taking time to post your review. I was disappointed to read that you had a poor experience with our reservations.

Please accept my sincere apologies as our aim is always to help in any time our guests.

I will address your concerns for the Reservations Manager that will ensure other guests are not similarly inconvenienced in the future.

I hope you will not judge us solely on this experience and will be inclined to use our hotel again.

Kindest regards,