“Compact room but nice hotel” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Mercure London Kensington
Ranked #502 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Lincoln
“Compact room but nice hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

I stopped at this hotel for 2 nights whilst working nearby at Olympia.

A 2 night stay for a single room with breakfast cost £330 though a booking website. I thought this was expensive based on the size of the room.

Check-in was quick and easy at the hotel, however they did insist on taking an imprint of my card as well as PIN authorisation.

I had a single room on the 3rd floor. The room was fairly small, with about 12 inches between the end of the bed and the wall, but it was a nice clean room with a small double bed. Perfectly comfortable for one.

The bathroom was clean and tidy with a wealth of complimentary amenities.

On the first night there were 2 complimentary mints on my pillow, along with ear plugs (for outside noise) and a tea/coffee selection. Unfortunately none of the mentioned was replenished on the 2nd night - which is a shame as the price paid should include this.

There was also a small work desk and LCD TV with freeview channels. A/C was also fairly effective.

Room service menu basic and quite expensive, but there are a number of restaurants within a couple of minute walk from the hotel, along with a Sainsburys supermarket.

I only ate breakfast on the 2nd day, as the restaurant doesn't open before 7am and I needed to leave earlier on the first day.

Although it is a buffet breakfast, served in heated containers, I found the food to be luke-warm which was a disappointment. Good selection of food, but would have been 100% better if hot.

Wouldn't necessarily return as I don't think the price paid reflected experience received.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Linforth, Duty Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this review, 10 July 2014
Dear LincolnAndrew ,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Mercure London Kensington, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Mercure London Kensington and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Yours sincerely,

Duty Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (190)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

The location is good and near many restaurants and shops at Earl's Court and underground station . The room was good and everything I needed was there. Internet is fast enough to serve anything. However, I had only one issue as they requested to authorize 50 pounds from my card and it was strange as I haven't been requested anything like that before at Mercure or Accor Hotels

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Linforth, Duty Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this review, 8 July 2014
Dear Ahbannaga,

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found our location ideal.

Kind regards,

Wollongong, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed here on 8th to11th June on our first trip to London.
This is a fantastic location easy walk to underground and bus and taxi out front.
The staff were fantastic and yes our room was small but it was clean inviting and comfortable, after all how much time Do you spend indoors.
Drinks in bar were lovely after a day out sightseeing.
Breakfast was a delight with plenty of options.
No complaints from us and maybe some folks are just plain fussy and expect a palace.
We didn't have any problems with wifi just log in!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Jenf61,

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedbakc. We are deligthed to read that you enjoyed your stay.

We are grateful for your positive comments and look forward to welcoming you back on many future occasions.

Kindest Regards,

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

Spent one night at this Mercure and it has a nice location about a five minute walk from the Gloucester Rd Underground station. Overall think the hotel was acceptable but probably would not stay here again unless the price was right. The rooms were very tiny and the elevator doesn't go to the fifth floor. Had to walk up a flight of stairs from 4th to the 5th. For an Accor hotel think they could do better. The room looked a little tired. The one nice touch was a complimentary minibar (soft drinks)--at least the room I was staying in.

The Breakfast was good and had a nice variety.

Unless you are looking for an Accor hotel in this area, suggest you look elsewhere.

Room Tip: Pick a room on the 4th floor or below.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear Mcmurrytravels,

Thank you for taking time to post your review.
I am delighted to see that you found our location ideal.

When it comes to the room size, some of our rooms are indeed very compact. We do, however, have a range of room types from small doubles to king executive. My suggestion for future stays would be to book one of our executive rooms as they are very spacious and accommodate a king size bed.

We pride ourselves on our high standards of service and I do hope you will not judge us solely on this experience.

Kindest Regards,

Rotorua, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014

Our room was so small, you to turn sideways to get past the bed. Nowhere to put 2 bags down. The hotel is modern and generally comfortable, but the tiny room made our 4 days stay very uncomfortable. Ten minute walk from Earls Court Station. Only 30 minutes wifi allowance per day. I had problems connecting, but the staff didn't care, and wouldn't help. Excellent hot buffet breakfast was included in our price, but don't order the coffee, which is undrinkable. Lifts were not working, on our arrival, so luckily they changed our room to the first floor.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a lower floor, unless you like stairs.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Linforth, Duty Manager at Mercure London Kensington, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Dear Sue C.,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay. I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

We strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us. I would like to confirm that we are taking the appropriate measures to address your concerns and prevent future occurrence.

Best regards