“SO WELCOMING”

Ranked #26 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Cannes, France
“SO WELCOMING”
Reviewed 5 April 2011

This HOtel is just what we need:
SO Welcoming
SO Helpful team
SO Clean
SO great location
SO SPA SO UNIQUE
SO FIT
SO HAPPY place
will be back

Room Tip: ALL ROOMS ARE GREAT and THE BEDS ARE JUST PERFECT
Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
SofitelStJamesLondon, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 8 April 2011
Dear Madam,
I am very happy that my whole team has fulfilled your expectations.
It will be a joy for us to welcome you back in the near future, I hope.
Area General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (331)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lausanne, Switzerland
Reviewed 31 March 2011

This wonderful hotel is a very nice place of quietness in the middle of the city and close to all attractions. I really recommend it, as one of the best place to stay is you want to be at walking distance of all nice places to visit and shop in London. Very good breakfast.
The Sofitel "My Bed" is great, like being at home in an extremely comfortable bed. You need to try it at least once.

Room Tip: All rooms are quiet, no outside noise
  • Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I thank you for your positive feedback.
Indeed our Chef prouds himself to use only the freshiest seasonal products for each and every dish prepared in the kitchens hence so tasty.
Sofitel Luxury Hotels has implemented MyBed which takes you to sleep among two cloudy layers.
I am glad you enjoyed your stay at the Sofitel London St James and look forward to the next time.
Austin
Reviewed 30 March 2011

My partner and I spent 4 nights at this hotel during our vacation. Wonderful location and beautiful hotel which is right in the middle of London. Walking to St. James Park, Talfager Sq, SoHo and the west end were major pluses! The room was perfect for our stay. We upgraded to a Luxury room which was on the top floor. Nice view, very clean. We were able to check in early at 11 AM which was nice after a long flight from the States. There was no coffee/espresso machine in our room when we checked in, but once I requested it on our way out for dinner, a wonderful automatic espresso machine was set up and ready on the desk when we returned. We dined in the restaurant only for breakfast, which was expensive but definitely worth it. All you can eat British/American buffet and cook to order which was a perfect breakfast/brunch to get the day started kind of meal.
The only non wonderful experience we had at the hotel was with the Concierge, Guillaume. When we mentioned we didn't have reservations one night he was outright snooty about it. He was not very friendly and then later forget one of our dinner reservation requests the last evening.
Overall, we were extremely pleased. Definitely will stay here again next time in town.

Room Tip: Book throught the hotel website, top floor
1 Thank Austinguytexas
LA, CA
Reviewed 29 March 2011

We had an initial mishap when the upgraded room I requested wasn't available for the first night. It took a little while but everything was sorted out by 11AM the next day. The hotel staff were very accomodating and tried to make it right. Needless to say we enjoyed our stay at the St James. The centalized location was great for day trips within the city. The staff were very attentive at the Brasserie Roux and the breakfast and dinner were quite nice. We ended up having to check out early because the streets were being blocked off due to a St Patricks parade. No worries, everything ended well even with the rough start.

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I am glad you had an enjoyable experience at the Sofitel London St James.
I thank you for your complimenting my whole team. I will share your positive feedback with them as well as with the Chef who is very proud to use only the freshiest products on the market to prepare all the dishes.
I hope your next stay with us will be very soon.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 March 2011

I suppose I should present my "credentials" first. I've been a regular client of Sofitel St James (SSJ) for the past 5 or 6 years and am an A-Club Platinum Card holder. So, I have a strong connection with the franchise.

While sleep comfort remans high, other standards have slipped over the past few years, to the point where, in the past 12 months, SSJ is no longer my choice in London.

The rooms are now tired and the amenities offered are well below par. The white clock wallpaper is becoming tatty; the furniture is worn; the fitments marked; the bathroom showing signs of wear (particularly the enamel in the bath) ...

On my three most recent stays, no platinum upgrade was offered. During my most recent visit: the champagne ordered for 9PM failed to materialise; the girl on reception made a total hash of checking me in and had to be reminded to return my credit card; the flower display in the corridor consisted of a cheap houseplant in a plastic pot, incongruously screwed into an ill-fitting vase.

In a three-star, these would be minor annoyances. In a hotel in this price range, they are simply unacceptable.

The Soho Hotel offers much more (albeit, without the Sofitel beds) at a similar price point and I would recommend you consider its merits before booking with at The Sofitel St James.

6 Thank MacSasha
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 29 March 2011

Weve stayed in Sofitel St James since 2002....another fabulous stay thanks...we always enjoy the friendly atmosphere and the staff are always first class; the room was excellent and the rose tea room is a great place to relax

Dear Madam, Dear Sir,
I am grateful to your positive feedback even if your stay was short.
I hope you will give us the opportunity to offer you our undivided attention on your next longer stay.
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 March 2011

From the moment you arrive to the moment you check out, there is nothing to fault even travelling with a demanding 2 yr old
All of the staff went beyond the call of duty to make our stay special, so much that my son did not want to leave and still asks to return to the hotel
The Setting is that of elegance and sophistication but achieved in a very relaxed manner
The concierge staff made my sons stay very memorable and we all cant wait to return
Once stopped here, you wouldnt imagine stopping anywhere else

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
Dear Madam,
It was a pleasure reading your feedback.
We have a passion for our guests and we love to indulge you.
I thank you for the special mention of our Concierge.
I look forward to welcoming you back.