“Great position and hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sofitel London St James

Sofitel London St James
Ranked #30 of 1,087 Hotels in London
Perth, Australia
“Great position and hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2011

We got a good deal on staying here and couldn't have been happier. Hotel was very well set up with all you need. The rooms were very good and the position could not be better. Best of all were the staff, couldn't have been more helpful.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (308)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
San Francisco, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2011

I stayed in the Sofitel St. James for 15 or 16 nights on a business trip recently, and in a word it is outstanding. I've stayed at many 5-star and 4-star hotels in central London as I travel there a couple times a year for business. The Sofitel gets it right: excellent service without the foul hint of obsequiousness or ostentatiousness that many of the luxury hotels in London seem to have, great bar for a pre-dinner cocktail or glass of wine, and excellent accommodations. The later is the shining star for me; my first few days I stayed at another hotel in the area (The Cavendish), and checked out early to move to the Sofitel due to noise and generally shabby quality bedding. The Sofitel is dead quiet (even in a room facing Lower Regent Street), has great AC which chills the room down to 60 degrees or so if you so desire, and has very comfortable beds, linens and pillows.

One caveat for me, as a business traveller, is the location, but for a weekend holiday in London the location would be ideal. I dislike the location for extended stays because, well, frankly the area gets a bit boring night in and night out after a week or more; but luckily it's close enough to Picadilly and Charing Cross stations that there are plenty of easy tube options to explore other areas of London. Nevertheless I believe going forward it's going to be my first choice when in London on business.

I should also note that each floor has two small rooms immediately adjacent to the lifts. I stayed in one of those rooms several years ago on a short trip and I would not recommend as there is a bit of noise from the lifts. I would ask to be moved if I was given one of those rooms again, but thankfully this trip I had a lovely room on Lower Regent Street.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the lift!
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank pw_sf
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2011

I have stayed at and visited all of the top ten hotels in London and this one surpasses them all.

I found the service incredibly professional and friendly, everyone was ready to help in anyway especially the management. Steph (Manager) made this trip incredible, making last minute bookings at restaurants, theatres and other hotels.

The location could not be more perfect, walking distance to Piccadily Circus, Regent St (Shopping Paradise), Buckingham Palace and countless theatres and restaurants

Although a small matter, the beds were incredible to sleep in removing my jet lag. I have never experienced anything like them

The hotel and room decor is sophisticated french, and the atmosphere warm and welcoming.

I look forward to returning the Sofitel St James again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank sarahausti
London, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2011

My friend and I used the hotel as a base for the day, booking through www.between9and5.com/ This was at a rate of £150, so MUCH cheaper than the rate for a one day overnight stay.

The hotel is located in Pall Mall, home of RAC Club and similar institutions. I think the building was once occupied by a bank but it has been impressively and luxuriously converted. Check in was rather laborious while they found my booking, and check out was even slower as the billing system is apparently online to a main computer in Germany!

We had room 610 on the top floor which looked out towards Trafalgar Sq (though the landmark was obscured from view). It had a nice comfortable bed, with soft under and over duvets. Very restful. The bathroom had a walkin shower cabinet. The tap handles were unmarked and we got soaked before working out which did what! The light switch for bathroom was outside on the facing wall, and again trial and error to see which switch did what.

We had drinks in the small bar before lunch in the brasserie. I had nicely cooked sea bass and my friend the skate. That smelled of ammonia, and we sent it back for a sole instead. The zinfandel wine was lovely and the service was friendly and efficient. It was not cheap but you are paying for the location and ambience.

Around 15.00 we passed a tea room beyond Reception. Quaintly old fashioned style but well patronised.

We enjoyed our stay and would certainly use the hotel again for the same purpose

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travellertopoland2
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2011

Whenever we are in London, we stay in the Sofitel. The staff are welcoming, courteous, and nothing fazes them. We arrived by bicycle, from the Lake District, and had just survived our first "cycling in London" experience. We were received as if we had arrived in a Bentley, and our bikes were taken away and looked after as if this happened all the time. The bedrooms are gorgeous, with everything you could need, and efficient, but friendly, room service. The beds are a total dream - down toppers, and the comfiest pillows I have ever laid my head on. Add to this fabulous bathrooms, with Hermes toiletries, and spotless baths and showers, and what more could you want? You do not want to leave. First class service, bedrooms and location - and lovely staff too, make this a hotel that really deserves it's reputation. Cannot recommend it highly enough.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family