“Great location, very opulent”

Sofitel London St James
Ranked #25 of 1,076 Hotels in London
Reviewed 27 September 2012

My daughters and I stayed at the Sofitel for three nights. For the price it was everything that it should have been. Beds were superb and bedding was great quality. The shower head in bathroom was amazing. We didn't have the breakfast daily as we are not big eaters in the morning but from what l heard from other guests it was awesome. The bar had reasonable priced drinks and the staff were most welcoming.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Tracy633
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

I can tell that you have slept like a baby on MyBed, a unique system implemented by Sofitel Luxury Hotels which takes you to sleep like onto fluffy clouds. Did you know that you can buy it online. Don't hesitate, indulge yourself also at home.

My team and I were delighted to hear about our high standard of services.

A très bientôt je l'espère.

Denis

Reviewed 27 September 2012

This hotel manages to get it right on so many levels. Professional staff, outstanding central location, warm welcome, comfortable - tastefully decorated rooms , outstanding beds, public areas you want to linger in. Room reasonably priced ( by London standards ) at $600 a night inclusive of taxes and full English breakfast .

Pros : Great central location close to West End shops, restaurants and major tourist sights.
Efficient welcoming staff ( at both check in and check out ) who use your name and give the impression that they're pleased to see you and eager to help. Air conditioning works ( a surprising rarity in London hotels ), powerful showers , Hermes tolietries, turn down service shows up while you're at dinner. Concierge ( Danny ?) knows London inside out. Relaxing mix of business and leisure travellers. Five minute walk to wide range of restaurants. Sofitel beds have to be the most comfortable of any in use by a major chain.

Cons : Bar is (rightly) popular and can become crowded early in the evening. Breakfast service slow - took three attempts and ten minutes of trying to get a coffee. Young French waitress was apologetic and after that everything speeded up . Hand held shower attachments have a habit of falling out of their holders.

Conclusion : Well managed and it shows. Front desk as good as at the much more expensive Berkeley - a delight after a long flight from JFK to be greeted with a smile and a genuine welcome. Room sizes good by London standards - think Carlyle in NYC. London with a touch of gallic flair. All you want in a hotel - efficient, welcoming and reliable.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back look onto other office buildings. Aim for high floors or ones overlooking the stre...
3  Thank KellyNebraska

At Sofitel London St James we wanted to match the English tradition to the French elegance. I am glad to hear that you have enjoyed the atmosphere we have created.

The whole team is dedicated to meet our guests expectations and it is our utmost reward to read your satisfaction regarding our high level of services.

A bientôt de vous revoir.

Denis

Reviewed 26 September 2012

The hotel is very nice. Our room was adequate in size, the linen and towels were cvery good, and the 'turn down service' left some cake and a weather forecast . We had a complementary bottle of water and wine in the room when we arrived and a birthday card. The staff were very helpful ans smiley. Breakfast and the cheese and wine reception were plentiful - not having to search for a breakfast location every morning was a nice start to the day. Being able to have 24hr access to tea and coffee in the reading room was also a nice addition.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dack b
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2012

Thank you for sharing your experience
I am glad that you appreciated the turn down service, the birthday gifts, the weather forecast along with the bottles of wine and water.
We look forward to welcoming you back at Sofitel London St James.
Kind regards

Reviewed 25 September 2012

On our first morning of our most recent stay at the Sofitel St James, I was woken by the sound of a shriek from my husband, who had a surprise cold water soaking from the shower - reminding me that I really should read my reviews of previous stays at an hotel to be forewarned about such things! I had made an observation about the very high water pressure and unreliable hand held shower heads on my review of our last visit, but clearly, another reminder was needed to reinforce that learning! We'd already had one "revisit", being assigned room 508 at first, which was our least favourite room in the hotel: We requested an alternative and on this occasion found ourselves in 127 - a generously sized room with a view of a small courtyard. Well, at least we weren't overlooked.

As usual, the comfort and amenities are superb and any niggles about this and that are soon resolved after a great night's sleep in the most comfortable bed. It is for this reason that we return to the Sofitel, for the convenience of the location for sure, but also for the high standards of service and level of comfort. There remain two mysteries however: firstly, the inability for Sofitel to incorporate valet parking charges into the hotel bill, for some reason, resulting in an irritating secondary transaction upon departure. The second was a one off - on our last night, the duvet appeared to have shrunk and our kingsize bed was made up with a double sized duvet. Most odd - but returning to the hotel at midnight meant it was too late to do anything about it.

Never mind...maybe next time, we'll remember the water pressure and our stay will be perfect?

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank elegantraveller
Reviewed 25 September 2012

I travel to London frequently and this was my first time at the Sofitel London St James and it will definitely not be my last.

As other reviewers have mentioned, the location is ideal. You are steps away from St. James Park, Piccadilly Circus and a short walk to Buckingham Palace.

The room was quite comfortable and very clean. The size was also larger than many of the rooms I've stayed in while traveling in London. The turn down service was a nice touch and I enjoyed the complimentary chocolates upon my arrival.

What impressed me most was the high level of service. I arrived early and my room was not ready but the receptionist kindly let me utilize the shower in the gym (which was very nice). I also had a mishap with my luggage that required maintanance to cut the lock from my luggage. They were very accommodating and prompt, which was very much appreciated.

My only complaint was the numerous follow up wake up calls. I set an automatic wake up call each morning and 10 minutes following someone would call to see if I received it. One day they called 3 times which was excessive. That is a minor complaint that can easily be fixed.

I would highly recommend this hotel and will be sure to return again during my next stay in London!

1  Thank SpaGirl007

Thank you for taking the time to share the recent experience you have had at Sofitel London St James.
I am pleased to hear that you appreciated the friendliness of the staff, the comfort of your room as well as our central London location.
We look forward to welcoming you back at Sofitel London St James.

Best regards,

Reviewed 24 September 2012

Me and my wife spend 3 great nights and enjoyed every moment.
The hotel is very well located and we much enjoyed the 5 minutes' walk to all major theaters. in addition the staff is amazing and do all it efforts to make you feel welcome.
It is lovely place to spend if you are looking to spoil yourself .
the breakfast however is overpriced and you can easily get it somewhere else just outside the hotel (cafe etc..)

Room Tip: the breakfast is overpriced and you can easily get it somewhere else just outside the hotel (cafe e...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MoooTi
Reviewed 24 September 2012

The Sofitel St James is centrally located for the top London tourist attractions but is slightly on the southerly edge of the main shopping in Regent and Oxford streets being a good 10 minute walk to the start of the main shopping area and 5 minutes to the nearest Underground at Piccadilly Circus. Cabs are, however, readily available.
The outstanding feature of this Sofitel is the universally high level of pleasant but largely unobtrusive service from Doorman through Reception to dining. The rooms are a touch on the small side - we took a Deluxe and found the bathroom definitely smallish. Other than that a good night's sleep can be had in quiet and comfortable surroundings.
This Sofitel, with its touch of Gallic charm won't disappoint.

1  Thank Rover10

I am delighted that you have enjoyed your London break and you made the most of our perfect central location.
I look forward to welcoming you again.
Kind regards,