“Impossible to beat on price and location, by M.Perfecto ;)”

Sofitel London St James
Ranked #24 of 1,068 Hotels in London
Basel
“Impossible to beat on price and location, by M.Perfecto ;)”
Reviewed 26 February 2013

Stayed with my wife for 3 nights , February 19th to the 22nd. This is around our 10th stay at this Sofitel over the last few years. Overall, the experience has been very positive and I do not think you can do any better in central London for this location and price range. The new breakfast/restaurant revamp has made it a lot smoother but I am a bit nostalgic for the old breakfast with its dizzying array of choices both as buffet and to order. You had to allow a good 40 mins to an hour for the experience but it was worth the wait. Still, the new breakfast format is still outstanding by any standards. Overall ,the service manages to be efficient and friendly without being obtrusive., the staff are very attentive and efficient when you need without being too forward. On nearly every visit we have had different rooms, sometimes upgrades, overall, in my opinion the rooms at the back on the higher floors are the best. As with all central London hotels, the rooms are small but they are very well equipped, the beds are super comfortable and usually quiet. The bar has a very pleasant ambiance and is the perfect place to enjoy an evening aperitif. Ususally we use the opportunity to explore other restaurants in London but on the couple of occasions we had dinner in the restaurant we found it excellent and a perfect option if you are tired and fancy a quiet relaxing evening in the hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 28 February 2013
I am delighted to hear that for the past years we have been consistent in providing high standards of service. This is a real compliment and I thank you for that.

It is also very pleasant to read that you enjoy the atmosphere we have created in the new St James Bar as well as in the new restaurant The Balcon. We have put a lot into the refurbishment of those 2 areas and I am delighted to hear that you very much like the places.

We then look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Denis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Wow! I found it extremely stylish, excellent value of money. The room was quiet with not a sound from the surrounding area. I loved the greenaries around the hotel, interesting art, fresh flowers and comfortable furniture. I had a great stay out there. Had a pleasure moment of stay there.

Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Thomas_A484
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 26 February 2013
I am really glad to hear that you have had such an enjoyable stay at Sofitel London St James! I thank you for mentioning it in your TripAdvisor feedback.

I hope you will have many more great stays as this one in the near future.

Denis.
West Midlands
Reviewed 24 February 2013 via mobile

My husband took me to this exquisite hotel for my birthday weekend, the moment we got out the taxi and was greeted by the doorman we knew that this was going to be special. The staff are fabulous each and everyone of them and nothing was too much trouble. We were asked what we would be doing and my husband mentioned that it was my birthday and would be going to the theatre later that evening, we were shown around the hotel and the bellboy brought up our cases. We had a superior double room which was slightly small with the wardrobe and long length mirror up a tight corner which you could not see yourself in, saying that the bathroom bed and tv/iPod dock more than made up for it. Delivered to our room later that evening a homemade dessert and rose turned up which was a lovely touch, and a turndown service of homemade chocolate, water, gowns and slippers were laid out. Her majesty's theatre literally just round the corner a perfect location to watch a show. This is a fabulous hotel for a unforgettable weekend!

Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank FabholsWestMidlands
What a lovely feedback. I am truly pleased to hear that you have had an "unforgettable" week-end at Sofitel London St James. We are here to indulge our guests and are most happy when we achieve our aim.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 23 February 2013

When you don't go too often to London, you better visit London in full comfort. A delicious breakfast, a perfect sleep and a perfect location is a good start for a great weekend.
Staff is pro !
Ok, it's not a bargain, but what you get compensates it's price more than enough.
We just booked again, and we're already looking forward to our perfect weekend next weekend!

Tip: try the afternoon tea !

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 25 February 2013
We were truly glad to hear that you have enjoyed so much your stay at Sofitel London St James. I thank you for mentioning your delicious breakfast at our restaurant The Balcon as well as our perfect location in the centre of London. But what made me feel even happier is that the whole staff has provided you with a genuine great service.

We look forward to welcoming you next WE.

Melbourne
Reviewed 22 February 2013

We stayed 3 nights in this lovely hotel. The staff were always friendly and helpful. The hotel is well situated in the Piccadilly Circus area. We stayed in a Superior room which was a good size. The only problem was that the bed and pillows were softer than we are used to, and our room looked out onto a brick wall and air conditioning towers. I thought a Superior room would have a better view.
I would certainly stay at this hotel again, but would make sure I had a window looking onto the street, or Waterloo Place. The breakfast was excellent.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank HughScott
I am really glad to hear that the whole team was friendly and helpful as we proud ourselves in offering high standards of services right from the heart. We genuinely love to indulge our guests.

When booking for your next stay please do not hesitate to ask us not to place the MyBed system. I would also suggest you to book a Luxury Room with a view on either Waterloo Place or Pall Mall. You will love it!

Thank you for pointing out the "excellent breakfast" you have had at our restaurant The Balcon.

We look forward to your next visit.

Budapest
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We spent one night during the trip in the UK, it was just a splendid experience with my family. We were taken so much care of, personal attention throughout from the room to the breakfast. I will keep on recommending this hotel for its services.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ExcellenceBudapest
Denis_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 19 February 2013
I was truly glad to hear that the team has continiously look after you and your family as we proud ourselves in providing a consistent high level of services.

I thank you for recommending Sofitel London St James.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.