“Exquisite hotel in superb location and wonderful staff”

Sofitel London St James
Ranked #26 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Last week I had once again the great privilege to stay in the Sofitel St James, i.e. my favourite hotel in London. Not only is the location exceptional but the quality of the accommodation and the staff are wonderful. As many staff members have been there for a long time I never feel like just a guest but as a person they know. Another feature of this hotel which is remarkable is the exquisite flower arrangements which give this hotel a very special feeling. I highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
D_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

I am extremely thankful to you for this wonderful feedback!

We are the ones with a great priviledge to have you staying at Sofitel London St James.

Indeed we genuinely love to pamper our guests. Not customers. Guests. Our service from the heart touches also their heart and I am glad to hear that you have felt so.

We all look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

A bientôt,

Reviewed 2 June 2013

Never reviewed before but compelled to do so following recent visit. Booked double room via lastminute.com to celebrate our anniversary and attend an afternoon function. We were greeted by pleasant and friendly staff who seemed genuinly interested in our stay. We were given a room upgrade and surprised with an anniversary confectionary in our room, which made our day. Our kingsize room was luxiourious but welcoming. The bedding plush and comfortable, bathroom roomy and just lovely
The hotel bar was cozy and comfortable with pleasant and highly efficient staff. We didn't get the opportunity of dining at the hotel restaurant during our short stay, but the menu seemed very appetising indeed. In short my husband and I highly recommend the Sofitel St James, and wish to thank all the staff involved for making our stay amazing!

• Stayed: May 2013
D_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2013

We try and never miss any anniversary or birthday. It is too important a step.

I thank you for highly recommending Sofitel London St James as we genuinely love to look after all of our guests.

Looking forward to your next stay.

Reviewed 1 June 2013

We were here only two nights at the end of a three-week trip to Europe and wanted a place within walking distance of the theatre, the National Gallery, etc. We also wanted it to be quiet and of good quality. Sofitel St. James met all our qualifications. It is a lovely old building which has classy elegance everywhere you look. We chose a larger room since London rooms tend to be so small and were more than pleased with the accommodations. The bed was very comfortable as were the pillows and the duvet. We slept great both nights. The bathroom also had a separate shower and tub which is our preference. The staff were always friendly and helpful. Of course all this comes at a price, but it was worth it for us at the end of a long trip.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Indeed our central yet quiet location is one of our assets. We are at a stone's throw from London's main attractions.

I thank you for mentioning the friendly and helpful staff as we really love to indulge all of our guests.

Looking forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 30 May 2013

We stayed at the Sofitel, St James in London for one night. When entering the foyer one becomes aware of the fact that this is a 5 star hotel - the flower arrangements were so special as if every one was made for each guest! The friendly staff at the door and at the counters welcomed us and made us feel at home. The hotel is very centrally located close to Travalgar Square, Piccadilly and Coventry Garden. The rooms are spacious and most comfortable. The best beds we've ever slept in and the best pillows for a good night's rest - hotel pillows can sometimes cause a headache, some you have to fold again and again to get the necessary neck support, or you have to add some cushions from the chair, but these were perfect!! The food was excellent and tasty - we enjoyed dinner and breakfast and had delicious tomato soup for lunch! Together with our visit to Chelsea Flower Show, this was indeed a superb stay!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
D_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2013

I am really glad to hear that the whole team has pampered you as we do it with all of our guests. We cannot help it.

I thank you for mentioning the "excellent" food served in our restaurant 'The Balcon'. We proud ourselves in offering the freshiest seasonal products on the market.

We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

Location, location, location, as they say... 5 min walk from Piccadilly and Bond St., West End, Trafalgar and St. James' Park, yet in a quiet and stately location, the Sofitel excels at everything that a high-end city hotel, in one of the world's major metropolises, should be.

The decor is a tasteful mix of early 20th century and modern, the suites are spacious (by London standards), the staff is sophisticated and professional, the beds are comfy and the rooms - quiet, free Wi-Fi is immediately available.

What more could one desire?

My only dislike was the sliding bathroom door in our suite, which did not do enough to keep the bathroom separate from the rest of the room. I could live with this, given the excellence of the package.

Great choice for high-end shopping, clubbing, theatres, walking and sightseeing, dining, and just visiting London for a city break.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank OneNightTraveller
D_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2013

Our utmost reward is to hear pleased guests saying that Sofitel London St James "excels at everything". Thank you so much for highly praising our standards of service.

We genuinely love to pamper all of our guests and I am glad to read that you have felt so.

We all look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 28 May 2013 via mobile

My wife and I decided we'd have a weekend in London so did a lastminute.com search for a 5 Star hotel. We took a gamble on the offers they have where the hotel is guaranteed 5 Star but you don't know which one it is. The gamble paid off.

The hotel is located between Pall Mall and Piccadilly Circus. The reception we had was wonderful; after signing in the lady gave us a tour and an overview of the facilities, including bar, spa and everything else! She was absolutely charming and genuinely pleased to see us, as was everyone else. The room was great; well supplied with a comfortable bed and fantastic bathroom. Not the greatest view but we weren't planning on gazing out of the window. We chose to be in the view instead.

We'd booked to see a movie in Leicester Square which was a five minute walk, as was Regent Street and the wonderful shopping therein. We can highly recommend the hotel's Charcuterie; a cold meat selection which was so good we did it again the following day with a friend from town, and ordered extras! The cocktail options were great; I'm normally a beer kinda guy but "when in Rome."

We spent evenings in the bar which is staffed by wonderfully enthusiastic professionals who are happy to discuss and advise on your particular brand of poison! Mine was (unusually for me) a gin and tonic, but with half a dozen Gins to choose from and at least two types of tonic, I obviously needed some advice and then calculate all the possible combinations... and drink them. Oh my head, and oh my wallet; yes the bar ain't cheap but it's a 5 star London hotel so don't expect happy hour prices.

We were so thrilled with the hotel, the welcome, the service and the quality of the experience we didn't want to leave so to assist the hangover on Sunday morning, we hit the spa and had the full MOT. Again, it isn't cheap but the whole experience and the service made me forget the numbers and just go with the flow. To have not would have seemed like we were missing out and not making the most of the weekend.

If you like indulgence and feeling like VIPs, this is the place to be!! We will definitely stay here again and I hope to see the same staff again. I'm willing to bet they will remember us (because their system will tell them we've stayed before and I think they're the sort of place that use that to embellish the welcome), and we will definitely remember all of them. Highly recommended!!

• Stayed: May 2013
2  Thank Doug S

What a great, detailed feedback! Thank you for so much praise covering many of our departments in the hotel!

You have pointed out the exact state of mind in which we are while serving our guests: we do it with a "wonderful enthusiasm". Your feedback is extremely encouraging and we will keep on providing such high standards.

I also thank you for highly recommending the Charcuterie in our restaurant 'The Balcon'. Charcuterie is indeed one of our guilty pleasures in France as is cheese.

The St James Bar team thanks you for highly praising their knowledge and great spirit.

I am truly glad to read also about the fantastically relaxing experience you have had at the So-SPA.

We all look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

A bientôt,

Reviewed 27 May 2013

First time to stay at the Sofitel.
Fantastic building, clean modern rooms, great bar and restaurant. Outstanding location.
Enjoyed my stay a lot but found the room quite small although comfortable.
Staff very helpful and friendly although bar staff were a bit slowwwwwww...on occasion.

When I wanted to extend for an extra night I was quoted a price 40% above my original rate with the excuse of the Champions League final demand etc.... room was still available but wanted 40% more than original rate.... a bit naughty !!!!

Overall a good experience and I will stay again

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank Colin M

I thank you for your positive feedback!

I am truly glad to hear that you have really enjoyed your experience with us as we genuinely love to look after all of our guests.

Regarding the rate quoted to you for an additional overnight, indeed it was during the Champions League week-end. London was literally packed, this is the reason for the increase.

I look forward to welcoming you for a second and many other times.