Sofitel London St James
US$217
Orbitz.com
  • Pool
4,368 results
All reviewspiccadilly circuspall mallrose loungehermes toiletriesluxury roombuckingham palacenational galleryjames parkregent streetroom servicebeautiful hotelperfect locationturn down serviceafternoon teawest endrain showerfive star hotel
Reviewed 11 August 2013

We stayed at the Sofitel St James for 2 nights as we were attending a wedding reception at the same venue on Saturday evening. We were checked in quickly and efficiently shortly before 4pm on a Friday. We had a standard room on the 4th floor with a large opening window plus secondary glazed unit so very quiet room but no view.

Hallway. Large wall mirror, tall cupboard with electronic safe, kettle and tea/coffee tray, master light switch, low level night light operated by switch on only one side of bed?

Bathroom. Large bath with hand shower attachment and fixed ceiling shower rose. Glass shower screen. Hairdryer. Shaver point. Large illuminated mirror over vanity unit. Illuminated magnifying adjustable make up mirror. Wall mounted intercom/telephone. Bathrobes, slippers, lots of nice shower gels and shampoo.

Bedroom. Main control for heating and air-con (much needed), overhead adjustable reading lights individually switched. Lamp at each side of bed. Bed side unit but no storage. Roberts radio/I-pod dock station with alarm, telephone. Double wardrobe with hangers and shoe racks, ironing board and iron. Medium sized LED TV on wide dressing table with hinged fold out vanity mirror. Mini bar within unit. Spare wall socket behind unit. Low level wall mounted socket near to bed. Small fabric covered tub chair. Feather topped mattress and pillows. Extra bedding available in room.

Overall the room was small but adequate for our needs and very comfortable although I’m not certain it’s worth the money per night (we paid £234/night without breakfast. Good breakfast available close-by on Haymarket) but maybe that’s because of it’s situation being only minutes walk from Piccadilly, Trafalgar Square, St James Park and Westminster. We didn’t use the bars or restaurants so unable to comment but if the food is anything like we had at the wedding it would be well worth a try as it was excellent. The reception area is very nice and just off, there was a computer room and a comfortable looking lounge area. Wi-fi worked well in all areas of the hotel. Complimentary newspaper left hanging on the door handle each morning was nice. All staff we met from reception to housekeeping were polite professional and courteous. Goes without saying that the whole hotel (what we saw) was spotlessly clean. One thing I did notice is that the cupboard door in front of the mini bar did not fit properly as it had dropped on its hinges and there is a constant noise from what I imagine is the water pipes which run through the building and into the rooms. I’ve never noticed them as much in other hotels but it is a minor annoyance and it is an old building. On the whole I would recommend.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank georgedoorsscores
D_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2013

I thank you for your detailed, very personal feedback.

I thank you for recommending Sofitel London St James. The word of mouth is indeed our best advertisement.

We look forward to your next stay.

Au revoir,

Reviewed 11 August 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed 8 August 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
D_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2013

Reviewed 7 August 2013

I consider myself lucky to have experienced staying at the Sofitel London St James, it was an unforgettable experience. I travel extensively on business and I have to say this is the best hotel I have ever stayed in. The attention to detail is incredible and it is definitely a 5 Star Property. The location, spa, staff, bedrooms, dining experience, cocktail bar are all superb, I simply can't fault it.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
D_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2013

What a divine feedback!

We love to indulge our guests. I think that this makes a huge difference. We want all of our guests to take with them magnifique moments spent at Sofitel London St James.

We truly look forward to welcoming you back many other times.

Au revoir.

Sofitel London St James

Reviewed 6 August 2013

We arrived early at the beautiful Sofitel St. James Hotel from an overnight flight from Boston and the receptionist found us a room that was ready so we could get settled in. She even walked us up to the room. This room had a tub/shower combination which after some thought I felt the tub was too deep and I did not want to slip getting out of it after a shower. I called the front desk and requested they find us a room with a separate shower. She said we would have to wait for it to be cleaned, but that we could stay in the first room until the other room was ready. We decided to go find an ATM machine and the receptionist gave us directions to the closest one.

We returned to the hotel and the room was ready and that same receptionist walked us from the first room to the new one and offered to help with our luggage. This room was larger and we really liked the layout. This room also had a soaking tub and a nice enclosed shower with a powerful rain shower head.

The queen bed was very comfortable and when we requested they put a top sheet on the bed it was done. There were nice hangers in one of the closets & an iron/ironing board. In the other closet was an in-room safe and a hot pot for making tea, coffee or hot chocolate. There was a sewing kit & a shoe mitt and some drawers for our clothing. There was turn-down service every night. They left us each a bottle of water and a glass next to the bed.

The bathroom had plenty of shampoo, conditioner, body gel & nice soaps. There is a hair dryer in a bag in a basket under the vanity in the bathroom. There were bathrobes & slippers.

There was a clock radio, a desk with a bench, a comfortable chair with a floor lamp, a desk & chair and a nice flat screen TV. There is a mini bar and there was a plug adapter in the drawer.

There was a newspaper of our choice in a bag on our room door each morning.

It was my husband's birthday during our stay and they left a tray in the room with a delicious chocolate desert...nice touch.

The receptionist also called the shuttle company to check our pick up time for the airport.

When it was time to leave check out was quick and easy and the receptionist asked if we wanted tea, coffee, soda or water while we waited. I asked for tea and it was brought to me in the pink lounge area....very nice.

This hotel is very near Trafalgar Square, Piccadilly Circus, The Mall, Churchill's War Rooms and public transportation. We walked to the British Museum and Covent Garden from the hotel too. Very nice. We took public transportation to the Victoria & Albert Museum. We went to The Orangery for Afternoon Tea. It is very near Kensington Palace.

We did not try the restaurant/bar in the hotel, but it looked very nice. The common areas of this hotel were nicely decorated and inviting.

We found a nice place for Happy Hour 5 - 8 p.m. not far from the hotel. It is called Tiger Tiger Bar at 29 The Haymarket and it had a lot of cocktails to choose from. For some nice pastry try Caffe Concerto at 45 Haymarket. We had Earl Grey tea, Profiteroles and Tiramisu.

All the staff at this hotel were very helpful, pleasant and professional. The doorman was very welcoming and greeted us going and coming. I highly recommend this hotel. I am sure you will be happy staying there.

Room Tip: Pick a room with the separate shower.
Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank bainso
D_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2013

I thank you for your detailed, very personal feedback.

I was extremely pleased to read the summary of your comment in such words of praise. We genuinely put a lot into exceeding our guests expectations and I am truly glad to hear that we have achieved our aim with you.

Thank you for recommending us so well.

We look forward to your next stay.

Au revoir,