“Lovely hotel in great location”

Sofitel London St James
Ranked #27 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Bristol, UK
“Lovely hotel in great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

Very smart and luxurious hotel about 5 minutes walk from Piccadilly Circus.

Without exception every staff member we came into contact with were friendly and welcoming, really cannot praise them enough from the reception staff to the cleaning ladies.

We had a very nice welcome on arrival and were given our room immediately despite it only being about 11am. The bedroom on the 5th floor was well appointed and spotlessly clean. As one would expect from a hotel of this standard there were the normal additions - iron/ironing board, hair dryer, flat screen tv, tea and coffe making facilities, safe etc etc. The fresh flowers in the bedroom, turn down service and free wifi throughout the hotel were most welcome.

The bathroom was a good size with a large shower cubicle - personally I would have liked a tub but that is down to me for not requesting one at the time of booking, something to bear in mind if that is a preference.

We did not eat in the hotel so cannot comment - as always in city hotels these days the breakfast was ludicrously expensive so we went to a cafe about 5 minutes walk away and had a full English breakfast for £7.99 per person. The hotel is very expensive, but the location is great, the bedroom comfortable and worth the treat.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JanBristol
D_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
I am truly glad to hear that you have very much enjoyed your experience at Sofitel London St James.

We do our utmost to indulge our guests. I can tell that we have achieved our aim.

We look forward to welcoming you back in our centrally yet quietly located hotel on Waterloo Place.

Denis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
wirral
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

AMAZING....My husband booked a Junior Suite room 417at this hotel as a surprise birthday overnight stay.
From the minute we arrived till we left everything was perfect.
Polite and helpful staff.
We booked a table in the Balcon ....SUPERB....Nothing was to much trouble.
All the small touches....Just AMAZING.
Thank you to all Staff.
I do hope we can return.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for this wonderful feedback!

We were extremely happy to pleasantly surprise you for your birthday celebration.

I also thank you for pointing out our "amazing" restaurant The Balcon.

We look forward to welcoming you back on many other occasions.

Peoria, IL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

The service at the Sofitel is some of the best I've had; certainly the best I've had in London, which is why I was so suprised by the comfortable, but poor quality, shaky bed, the non-view (window was frosted) and a turndown service that cuts corners.

Upon getting to my room, the bellman showed us where everything was - very standard - but helpful in this case. They have an interesting climate control system that worked very efficiently and effectively without being load.

Having traveled all day, I wanted a shower. The shower was great, and then we went out for dinner. After arriving back at the room around 11pm, I noticed that we had turndown service, but instead of them replacing my wet towel that I had put in the floor of the tub, they folded it and hung it back up on the towel rack. When paying as substantially as we did for this room, I would have expected a clean towel.

The location is good, the service is excellent, but for the price, the details do not add up to the level I would expect for a hotel such as this.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view; if you don't, you most likely get one with a frosted window.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank jjswank
I am truly pleased to hear that you have had a most enjoyable stay at Sofitel London St James. I also felt very proud of my team when you have mentioned in your feedback that you have come across the best service ever provided to you in a hotel.

I thank you for this positive comment and look forward to your next visit.

Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

My partner and I stayed at the Sofitel St. James in Sept. 2013. We arrived via British Airways, who managed to lose all of our luggage for the entire 4-day stay we had in London. That could have made this a miserable trip, but the staff at the Sofitel went above and beyond to help us in every way as well as make us as comfortable as possible without our belongings. I couldn't have asked for better service and we ended up having a fantastic trip regardless.

Beyond that, the hotel itself is extremely charming, intimate without being small, and very comfortable. The location can't be beat, we walked everywhere and really enjoyed the easy access to the Tube as well as several major attractions.

While it's not inexpensive, it is certainly worth the extra money if you can afford it. I would definitely recommend the Sofitel St. James (and have already done so to friends) and can only hope that someday we will return there for another trip (hopefully with our luggage).

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jet_stream23
Thank you so much for such positive a feedback!

We know how it feels not to have one's luggage delivered by air companies so we genuinely did our best to help you feel at home.

I look forward to your next visit in the near future.

cardiff
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2013

This hotel is outstanding...perfect central location so you are at the hub of everything!

Beutiful rooms and an excellent bar and restaurant!

Service is very good as you would expect from a quality establishment!

Highly reccommend

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
I thank you for qualifying Sofitel London St James as "outstanding" . You made me feel very proud of my whole team.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Cambridge
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2013

Very well-situated hotel in central London. You can walk to most theaters and restaurants and the tube is less than 5 minutes away. Nice parks nearby and quiet location. Hotel staff is excellent and rooms are nice with very comfortable beds. Our favorite hotel in London.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

D_Dupart, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 5 December 2013
I am truly glad to hear that you have had a great time at Sofitel London St James.

I felt very proud of my whole team while reading your lines emphasizing on their high standards of service.

We then look forward to welcoming you back soon.