“Location is excellent. The restaurant, Balcon, has some really friendly staff”

Sofitel London St James
Ranked #24 of 1,069 Hotels in London
Lucknow, India
“Location is excellent. The restaurant, Balcon, has some really friendly staff”
Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

The hotel is located brilliantly, with the Trafalgar Square just around the corner. For those of you who like to walk around a fair bit, this one is close to most of what London has on offer; the Buckingham Palace, Piccadilly Circus, The london eye (cross over The Thames from inside the Charing Cross station), The National Gallery, to name just a few.
The restaurant, Balcon, has good food. In the starters try the spicy tomato and egg cocotte, which is excellent. Also, ask for Melany at the restaurant. She's really friendly and will make sure you eat really well. Overall, it's a place that's definitely worth recommending.
Ps: I travelled solo and was interested in the touristy things apart from the work I had to do. Worked very well because I was so close to everything.

Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Swatimathur
N_Pesty, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 26 June 2014
Dear guest,

Indeed our central yet quiet location on Waterloo Place is a true asset as it is convenient for both leisure and corporate purposes.

I thank you for your positive note about our restaurant The Balcon.

We look forward to many other visits of yours.

Nicolas

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (326)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed here recently as my parents was visiting from Australia. Beautiful hotel with great service
Luxurious and pampered in every way
Sad when I had to leave after 4 days there
My parents were impressed too and it make their stay in London special

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
I thank you for this positive feedback and I am happy to hear that both you and your parents have enjoyed so much your stay at Sofitel London St James.

We look forward to welcoming you back.

St. Gallen, Schweiz
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We stayed here before and again this was an excepionally nice holiday.
All the staff are friendly, helpful and give you that nice smile in the morning and all day.
I would like to point out that this hotel is ideal for a family trip to London as well as a business trip. all the important shops, sightseeing places are just a short walk away. The breakfast ist very good and gives you enough choice.
As Arnie said: I´ll be back !

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear guests,

Thank you so much for this very positive feedback!

I am truly glad to hear that you have enjoyed so much your stay as we genuinely love to pamper all of our guests.

We look forward to many other visits of yours.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My wife, 2 children and I stayed for 8 nights and loved everything about this hotel. The location and amenities were both 5 Star. The rooms were larger than most other European hotels and were up to date and spotless. Not only were they able to comply with my request for connecting rooms but they even had one of my rooms available when we arrived at 8 a.m. However, what truly makes a wonderful hotel and worthy of a 5 Star rating is the people. Everyone we talked to from the reception desk to the the concierge to the maid service to the bartenders to the bellmen were all exceptionally warm, friendly and amazingly helpful. Definitely now one of my favorite hotels.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
N_Pesty, General Manager at Sofitel London St James, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear sir,

I am truly pleased to hear that you and your family have had a wonderful stay at Sofitel London St James.

Indeed we genuinely love to pamper all of our guests and I am happy to hear that you have felt it.

We look forward to your next visits.

Reviewed 24 June 2014 via mobile

6th time my husband stayed in the Sofitel St James hotel when visiting London. Friendly staff, impeccable service and a quiet hideaway near Piccadilly Circus. Try the spa, afternoon tea or finish the day with a delicious "la vie en rose" cocktail. The only thing which is getting a bit bored after all those visits are the Hermes bath products. Time for a new fragrance

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear guest,

I thank you for your kind feedback.

I am pleased to hear that we are consistent in delivering high standards of service.

We look forward to welcoming you and your husband many other times.

Seattle, Washington, United States
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Just around the corner from the National Gallery, Trafalger Square and most of the theaters, this location can't be beat. However, the rooms tend to be small and are often dark. This is the second time I have stayed here and opted for a corner suite this time, which was expensive but light-filled and very quiet given the location of the hotel. There is a good gym and an excellent spa as well. I love it that they have ironing boards in all the rooms. The bar is very lively and the bar snacks extensive, which makes for a nice end to a long sightseeing day. Afternoon tea in the Rose Room is also a charming option complete with live harp music in a cozy room off the lobby. Room service was the fastest I have ever experienced, and an after theatre omelet was piping hot and cooked to perfection. There is a lot of attention to detail by the housekeeping staff but the concierges seem overburdened, which is not much of a problem if you have a smart phone that can do the job for you.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room before you check in to see if it will serve your needs. The size and amenities v...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Ann M
Dear guest,

I thank you for this positive feedback.

Indeed our central yet quiet location on Waterloo Place is ideal for both leisure and corporate purposes.

I am truly glad to hear that you have very much enjoyed the atmosphe in our St James Bar as well as in our Rose Lounge for a delicate and tasty Afternoon Tea.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

My wife and I stay at this hotel every year for all our trips to London. It never disappoints. Courteous and caring staff in all departments; beautiful stylish decor; and an excellent bar and dining room. The bedrooms are comfortable, clean, and the air conditioning is responsive.
The locations is exceptional.

1 Thank Neville T
Dear guests,

I am extremely thankful to your loyalty towards Sofitel London St James. This means a lot to us as we genuinely strive in providing the highest standards of service and we love to pamper all of our guests.

Again thank you for staying with us on every of your trips to London and looking forward to welcoming you back.