“Luxurious oasis right in the heart of town”

Sofitel London St James
Ranked #25 of 1,067 Hotels in London
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Luxurious oasis right in the heart of town”
Reviewed 27 February 2009

The reception has a little lounge leading off it where you can have afternoon tea. When I arrived there was a harpist playing. The décor is light and airy. The receptionist was charming. We got a a corner room (a bit bigger) and it was spacious and beautifully decorated. The bed had a quite firm mattress with a feather mattress topper - I thought it was a bit too firm for me, but I was wrong, and we had one of the best nights sleep I have ever had in a hotel. The windows are triple glazed but can be opened a bit which was welcome as the room was a bit too warm otherwise. the bathroom was nice, if compact, with Hermes toiletries, and bathrobes. The soundproofing was excellent, the room was silent. The location is great, just 2 minutes to Piccadilly. We didn't try the food and beverage services as there are literally hundreds of eating options within about 200M of the hotel.
A measure of how good this hotel was is that the very worst thing I could say is that the in room iron wasn't very good.
Absolutely recommended!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brooklyn, NY
Reviewed 25 February 2009

The Sofitel is located so well, a few blocks south of Picadilly, and about a 5 minute walk to Trafalgar Square. It's super easy to get around Central London from here, but it's also fairly quiet too.

The room was quiet, no neighboring room noise, and fairly large for a London room. The bathroom was the nicest part. Be careful of the shower – a bit tricky to figure out how it works, but towel warmers and nice toiletries (Hermes bodywash!?) are great. The staff overall seemed friendly, and very French. Had 2 drinks at the bar in the lobby that cost 30 pounds.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled solo
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 February 2009

This was our third visit to London and we stay at the Sofitel each time. The location is perfect....great for shopping, theatres and tourist sites. We (me, my husband and our 14 year old son) were upgraded to a wonderful corner suite on the 5th floor...which meant our teenaged son had his own "room" with a sofa sleeper and TV that completely closed off from our bedroom. Parents travelling with teens take note....it was a great arrangement!

We never eat breakfast in the hotel....unless it's included in the room because it's just too expensive. There are plenty of wonderful restaurants close by and, of course, a Starbucks.

The rooms are a very nice size and the bathrooms are perfect with Hermes soaps/shampoos. And as mentioned in many reviews, the beds are the best you will ever sleep in. I highly recommend the Sofitel St. James.

• Liked — oversized rooms, fabulous beds and bathrooms
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank elecguitar
London, UK
Reviewed 4 February 2009

I travel far and wide to order their Tiramisu dessert cocktail. Take note, that the drinks in the bar area are not cheap but you get what you pay for. It is the kind of place where a lone woman could merrily drink in peace by herself and myself and a friend drink here at least every other month.

However, a recent visit left a bitter taste in my mouth. We had our usual. My friend ordered a St James Cocktail & I ordered my regular. When our cocktails arrived, at first sight I knew that they had got my order wrong. There was no espresso in it. I queried this and the waiter decided to get the driks list and tell me that I ordered the wrong one and then the cocktail does not come with espresso - no apology, nothing. I was made to look like I was the difficult customer. Both the waiter and the guy who made it looked flustered. They took it away and I watched him make another cocktail with no alcohol. When it came along, I took one sip and found that this one was cold black coffee with cream on top, where was the alcohol ????

By this time I was completely fed up and just took the cocktail back to the bar and decided to order a diet coke. Imagine my surprise when they charged for a soft drink after the shabby service.

I don't want to labour the point. I love this place and like I said I often stroll in on a Friday evening or Saturday afternoon for a nice cocktail in exquisite surroundings. Please get your customer service in the bar area sorted out because I would hate to have to find an alternative venue.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank Onelifeliveit
Dubai
Reviewed 1 February 2009

Stayed for 4 nights at Sofitel St James. Excellent rooms ( for London Standards). Great place to be based for work and brilliant service. Second stay at this hotel and cant recommend it enough

• Liked — service
  • Disliked — lack of enough TV channels
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled on business
London
Reviewed 1 February 2009

We decided to book the Sofitel after reviewing it on Trip advisor and getting an excellent price, so i would advise shopping around as the price ranges greatly from site to site!

The welcome was warm and efficient, the hotel is decorated to a really high standard and you are made to feel like a celeb from entering the front door!

The rooms are what really sets this apart from other 5 star hotels i have stopped in, beautifully decorated and spacious. Bathrooms and showers can be a bit hit and miss in hotels but @ the Sofitel, it was done to a really high standard. The incuded toiletries were really nice as well (bonus!!!!)

P.S Try the Bloody mary at the bar!!!!

• Liked — Everythiing!
  • Disliked — Price of cocktails
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
San Diego
Reviewed 29 January 2009

I was very happy with the room, the bed, the staff, the food, and the unbeatable location.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed January 2009