“Excellent service, lovely hotel and great location”

Sofitel London St James
Ranked #23 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 4 April 2009

I stayed at the Sofitel St James twice in March. After business meetings in other parts of the UK I returned for the weekends. As a female traveling solo I felt very comfortable here. All of the staff are discrete, polite and very helpful. At times I thought I was is France, all of the staff speak French. It is on the costly side but you do get what you pay for. Room service was yummy, the bar cosy and breakfast each day was a delight. As other reviewers have said the bed is to die for. The rooms I stayed in were beautifully decorated but a bit on the small side. Again, as previously stated the location is brilliant. I recommend everything about this hotel except for the afternoon tea, The Rose Room is beautiful but the scones and cakes were disappointing for the price

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank franticworkingmum

Reviewed 2 April 2009

I went to London for one week and the first half of the week was part of a Tour with Globus. I wanted to splurge so I upgraded the hotel for the second half of the week and chose the Sofitel St James based on the reviews in trip advisor. This hotel exceeded my expectation. The outside phasat of the hotel is grand brownstone building, but the inside is very plush but very modern as well. The room has the best amenities: flat screen TV, heavenly bed, the latest and greatest in shower fixture and lighting fixtures, and Hermes toiletries. The location is perfect. Walking distance to the Bond Street, 2 stops away from the London Eye and Westminster Abbey. London is a great city and staying at the Sofitel will elevate the experience. It is though very expensive due to the exchange rate.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 March 2009

This was the 2nd time I stayed at the Sofitel London. I managed to get a last minute rate which included breakfast for 200 quid for the night, that included VAT too. They even upgraded us to a bigger room so it was fabulous value for money.

Concierge and front desk were fabulous, as usual. I love this hotel. It's spotlessly clean, in a fabulous location and everything is so modern and lush. I wouldnt think of staying anywhere else if I come to London. Agree with what other visitors have said, try and get breakfast included in your rate as they charge 25 quid a person for it. My friend said it was the best nights sleep she'd had in ages - the beds are super comfortable :)

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends
1  Thank sticklebacker
Reviewed 23 March 2009

Excellent location - one street away from Picadilly Circus/Regent Street, yet in quiet area within walking distance of Soho, Trafalgar Square, Leicester Square (highly recommend seeing 'Jersey Boys' - fabulous show). Buy an Oystercard if in London for the weekend - this will enable you to travel on the underground which is the easiest way to get about as the traffic is horrendous.

Bedrooms, bathrooms and public areas are absolutely immaculate and housekeeping was unobtrusive. Our deluxe king size was not enormous but had a separate dressing area and a lovely bathroom with separate walk-in shower. No view as it overlooked the rear of the hotel but that did not bother us too much. Bed was FABULOUS! Have seen it mentioned in previous Sofitel reviews that beds are so comfortable and believe me it's true! If there wasn't so much do get up for in London I think I would have been tempted to snuggle down in that bed for the rest of the day!

We had dinner at Santoria, which is a lovely Italian restaurant about five minutes walk away - on the corner of West Burlington Street and Saville Row. Food and service was excellent and I would recommend it for a special meal. There are dozens of good eating places in Soho - which is about a ten minute walk away. If you just fancy a nice pub meal - try the Captains Table which is two minutes round the corner (ask concierge for directions). It is part of a chain (as is the Glass Blower - just off Picadilly Circus) but both good for a welcome drink after all that retail therapy.

My only complaint about the Sofitel St James is the bar tarriff - Ouch! If you are not used to London bar prices (being canny Scots - ha ha!) - the cost of drinks will come as a bit of a shock to you! Cheapest glass of wine was £9 and gin and tonic was £12. This meant that we did not make many visits to the bar in the hotel!

After staying at this hotel, I would look no further for a hotel in London - it is well worth the money to know that you are guaranteed quality and service. Highly recommended.

Reviewed 19 March 2009

I booked this hotel having read the positive reviews on trip advisor. By using Expedia, I got a decently reduced rate. My husband and my young son accompanied me on our trip. I wanted to stay in a hotel that would cater for a couple with a young child (1 yr.) and this hotel lived up to all of my expectations. As we had booked a luxury room (slightly bigger I think) to accommodate a third person, I think the hotel expected a much older child. They had laid out an extra bed in the room. On seeing our little guy peering out of his buggy at the front desk, they snapped into action. We had no sooner got into the room which was lovely with a great big bathroom than a pair from housekeeping arrived removed the bed and replaced it with a cot. They also brought a teddy, fleece blanket, baby robe, baby bath, potty and rubber duck. I was immediately impressed by their attention to detail. When I mentioned that our room was too warm (we had the air con on its lowest setting and it was still like a sauna) we had a maintenance man in a matter of minutes adjusting the aircon control to a lower level for us which made the remainder of our stay far more comfortable. As a note to any management who may read these reviews it would be good if you could give guests the option to switch off the towel rail in the bathroom, we moved our sons cot in there during the day so he could get a sleep but the roasting hot rail meant that the bathroom was sweltering. The level of service this hotel provides and its excellent location (3 minute walk from Picadilly tube - you can see the circus from just in front of the hotel) make it an excellent place to stay in the city. Would recommend it to everyone. So taken with it, my husband has recently rebooked for himself, his Mum and his brother.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family
2  Thank Sunshiniest
Reviewed 17 March 2009

After another long weekend at the Sofitel St James we remain big fans of this charming hotel.
Everything ran like clockwork for us. We had warned we might arrive early so our room was waiting for us. Our pre theatre dining experience was stressless, delicious and very good value.
Our room, deluxe category this time, was quiet, comfortable and attractive with upgraded amenities, now by "Hermes" in the bathroom..
Breakfast was excellent with a good variety of just about everything but the attention to detail with things like the Albert Roux butter and jams stand out as a mark of quality.
Staff were courteous and helpful throughout and the location is just fabulous. Our only disappointment was that the lake is being drained in St James's park so there were no pelicans to spot!
My only worry is that the new spa, opening soon, will put the cost just out of our reach. As things are at the moment value fro money is extremely good.
Highly recommended.

2  Thank Contessa
Reviewed 8 March 2009

This was our second visit to the hotel and it was as good as the first last year. Great location, friendly staff and wonderful room. We stayed in a superior room and there was lots of space. We got back at tea time and there was a man playing a piano on the 1st floor which was very nice. The beds are very comfortable and it has all the in room faciilties that I like including making your own tea.