“Not bad but not 5 star”

Sofitel London St James
Ranked #27 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed 13 April 2009

Stayed here for 3 nights last week. very nice but not 5* like four seasons. They gave me a room upgrade. Great location but a few things that take away from the 5 *. The furnishings were top quality but one of the towels one day was frayed and the shower door did not close properly. nit picking but if you are 5 star you should be 5*

Restaurant is quite nice

Would recommend but if you get a deal. Staff are very nice as well tho.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank dp123
Write a ReviewReviews (4,237)

Reviewed 13 April 2009

Nice rooms – never slept better in a hotel. Very quiet – good beds – very clean, if you stepped out for a minute, they cleaned it up. They prepared the room for the night also (brought out slippers, prepared the bed, put out water + + ) – I stayed at a Deluxe room with OK view (of some buildings).

Excellent service, tough they were eager to sell me an upgrade….

Location, location, location – smak in the middle of everything. A close walk to the tube, shopping, theatre and of course pub’s and restaurants.

All in all a very good hotel – diden’t try the restaurants in the hotel, but I am sure they are ok to.

But all this costs, if you can afford it – book this hotel

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 12 April 2009

We chose to stay in this hotel based on reviews found on Tripadvisor, and we definitely chose right. The staff is very friendly (many are french), the lobby is very elegant, the rooms, even though are not very large, are exactly what you would expect in a Sofitel. The breakfast is very good and there are a lot of dishes to choose from. There is free Wifi in every room and in the lobby.
The location of the hotel is very good. We were in walking distance from Soho, from Trafalgar Square, from Bond Street, from Oxford Street. The Underground station of Piccadilly is also 8 minutes away.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 April 2009

I love this hotel. I don't think I've ever used the word immaculate. But this is the word to describe our room. The room was spotless. The location was very centrally located to tourist sites. It's in an upscale neighborhood. At the time, it was very reasonably priced for what we got in return. I had concerns about the staff. They were helpful with directions and recommendations. And when our room wasn't ready by check in - they treated us to afternoon tea while we waited a brief 15 minutes. But I had some questions about our room rate - because it was inconsistent with what I booked originally. When I inquired about it, the staff was a little rude and they took forever to get back to me. But that all said, I would still recommend this hotel because I feel as though the benefits outweigh the drawbacks of the annoying staff.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank kengyen
Reviewed 4 April 2009

I stayed at the Sofitel St James twice in March. After business meetings in other parts of the UK I returned for the weekends. As a female traveling solo I felt very comfortable here. All of the staff are discrete, polite and very helpful. At times I thought I was is France, all of the staff speak French. It is on the costly side but you do get what you pay for. Room service was yummy, the bar cosy and breakfast each day was a delight. As other reviewers have said the bed is to die for. The rooms I stayed in were beautifully decorated but a bit on the small side. Again, as previously stated the location is brilliant. I recommend everything about this hotel except for the afternoon tea, The Rose Room is beautiful but the scones and cakes were disappointing for the price

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business
1  Thank franticworkingmum
Reviewed 2 April 2009

I went to London for one week and the first half of the week was part of a Tour with Globus. I wanted to splurge so I upgraded the hotel for the second half of the week and chose the Sofitel St James based on the reviews in trip advisor. This hotel exceeded my expectation. The outside phasat of the hotel is grand brownstone building, but the inside is very plush but very modern as well. The room has the best amenities: flat screen TV, heavenly bed, the latest and greatest in shower fixture and lighting fixtures, and Hermes toiletries. The location is perfect. Walking distance to the Bond Street, 2 stops away from the London Eye and Westminster Abbey. London is a great city and staying at the Sofitel will elevate the experience. It is though very expensive due to the exchange rate.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 March 2009

This was the 2nd time I stayed at the Sofitel London. I managed to get a last minute rate which included breakfast for 200 quid for the night, that included VAT too. They even upgraded us to a bigger room so it was fabulous value for money.

Concierge and front desk were fabulous, as usual. I love this hotel. It's spotlessly clean, in a fabulous location and everything is so modern and lush. I wouldnt think of staying anywhere else if I come to London. Agree with what other visitors have said, try and get breakfast included in your rate as they charge 25 quid a person for it. My friend said it was the best nights sleep she'd had in ages - the beds are super comfortable :)

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with friends